Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 217

Author Topic: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1935 Production  (Read 158824 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1926 Design
« Reply #1470 on: August 05, 2015, 05:31:37 am »

WAIT. We got at least very expensive tank for this turn.

Why not focus on getting 4/4 mountains? This will deny them one ore

Proper assault rifle? Our own version of recoillles gun? HMG to supplement LMG?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: August 05, 2015, 05:36:00 am »

We'll deny them 1 Ore but they'll deny us 1 Ore and then an additional 1 Oil. Strategically speaking, it makes more sense for them to sacrifice the Mountains in order to remove our resource advantage entirely.

An assault rifle would be useful in the Jungle and the trenches, but our absolute biggest threat is their tanks. Recoilless guns are only useful against Light-armoured or less vehicles and their tank is Medium. A HMG would similarly be unable to breach their Medium armour.

Instead of a Chenkov-style commander, what about a Creed-type? A commander who lines up all the dots perfectly, blows out a puff from his cigar and utters, "Just as planned."
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: August 05, 2015, 05:39:09 am »

Good point, we can at least counter their tanks with our expense credit letting us make more than one, and we can try revising the engine again. Heh, I can get behind an assault rifle. Make it gas operated with an intermediate cartridge, and we won't even have to get all that lucky on rolls for us to get it!

Asa matter of fact:
Spoiler: AS-R25 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 05:42:18 am by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: August 05, 2015, 05:42:44 am »

Good point, we can at least counter their tanks with our expense credit letting us make more than one, and we can try revising the engine again. Heh, I can get behind an assault rifle. Make it gas operated with an intermediate cartridge, and we won't even have to get all that lucky on rolls for us to get it!
Fixing the fuel injection means we get Very Expensive tanks and Expensive fighters. Fixing the fuel injection and the turbo gets us Expensive tanks, letting us outnumber the enemy's (they have a faster-rotating turret which could be significant). With the Expense credit, we could make our DBs cheap and outnumber our enemy three-to-one in the air again. It'll also give us plenty of planes to destroy their new artillery with.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: August 05, 2015, 05:45:06 am »

You are forgetting that we have better AP shells experience than them... Also I am relatively sure that fielding the tank will let us to hold plains, especially if we will improve its engine during revision

My new vote

AS-RR-26.
50mm recoilless rifle. Optimized for anti tank role (try to develop specialized AT munitions, tungsten tip\core or better, failing that use normal hardened steel AP shells) but should fire HE rounds, too.

If we go for assault rifle.... don't overload it with features. We need a cheap one, not advanced one.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 05:46:43 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: August 05, 2015, 05:46:28 am »

Fixing the fuel injection means we get Very Expensive tanks and Expensive fighters. Fixing the fuel injection and the turbo gets us Expensive tanks, letting us outnumber the enemy's (they have a faster-rotating turret which could be significant). With the Expense credit, we could make our DBs cheap and outnumber our enemy three-to-one in the air again. It'll also give us plenty of planes to destroy their new artillery with.

Glory to Arstotzka.

Also a good point. There are really several legitimate paths we can go with here, each(barring the dice hating us again) letting us regain lost ground or push into new ground. Currently, I'm still with the SPG, but I did put out that AR for if people like the idea
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: August 05, 2015, 05:48:55 am »

Also a good point. There are really several legitimate paths we can go with here, each(barring the dice hating us again) letting us regain lost ground or push into new ground. Currently, I'm still with the SPG, but I did put out that AR for if people like the idea
I'd much prefer the AR or an SPG to a freaking boat or recoilless rifle. A light tank or redesigned MBT are preferred, though.

Glory to Arstotzka.

EDIT: By the way, a light tank would be better for anti-tank than a recoilless rifle. Hydropneumatic suspension is possible, it can fire more rapidly, it can disengage/re-engage more easily, and it has a range of more than a hundred metres.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 05:50:52 am by Andres »

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: August 05, 2015, 06:07:26 am »

Primary vote is redesign our tank. Secondary vote is design the AS-SU26, but highest priority should go to its simplified fuel injection and turbo.

We must not lose the Plains.

I second this motion.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: August 05, 2015, 06:32:09 am »

On a side note, for our ace description, how about :

Hairy Pickle: Spy Extraordinairy

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: August 05, 2015, 06:36:09 am »

On a side note, for our ace description, how about :

Hairy Pickle: Spy Extraordinairy
Hairy Pickle was captured in the ill-advised attempt to steal from the US. We were told not to expect his return.

Glory to Arstotzka.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: August 05, 2015, 06:39:37 am »

martyrs are heroes. Then again, unless we want the USA to arrest our whole nation, it is best not to paint one of their prisoners as our war hero.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: August 05, 2015, 07:28:10 am »

We really need AA or AT guns. Or both.
 Long-range arty would also be nice. Radio too. Did we manage to buy a radio set from them yet?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: August 05, 2015, 08:29:45 am »

I think designing an identical tank is a plain waste of our design action. Especially when we can field very expensive tank even if we fail with the revision.

Using an ancient 80mm as a base for our new vehicle is not great, either.

If you want to go let's be sure that we hold plains and stop their tanks then we need dedicated tank destroyer with forward facing 50mm gun.

Tank destroyers are better than tanks when you want to destroy enemy tank, even if they are worse in offensive roles

pulling 50mm out of tank and creating a towed 50mm AT or AT\AA gun can work, too.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 08:31:41 am by Ukrainian Ranger »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: August 05, 2015, 08:42:23 am »

I think designing an identical tank is a plain waste of our design action. Especially when we can field very expensive tank even if we fail with the revision.

Using an ancient 80mm as a base for our new vehicle is not great, either.

If you want to go let's be sure that we hold plains and stop their tanks then we need dedicated tank destroyer with forward facing 50mm gun.

Tank destroyers are better than tanks when you want to destroy enemy tank, even if they are worse in offensive roles

pulling 50mm out of tank and creating a towed 50mm AT or AT\AA gun can work, too.

Sensei Said towed AT would be a simple revision(couldn't simply do it for free since it's a part of the tank, but making a towed version would probably be simple enougfh to do in a revision.) Worst comes to worst, we make a towed version as a revision.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: August 05, 2015, 09:53:49 am »

I think we should get rifle grenades this turn... Or proper GLs. Then get a towed AT gun from revising the tank.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 217