Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How do you feel about the use of guns in this setting?

We know how to make them and they're useful, mainline production.
- 4 (33.3%)
They seem out of place and run rather counter to a fantasy setting, avoid them.
- 2 (16.7%)
Get outta here, nerd, nobody finds guns that interesting.
- 1 (8.3%)
Go ahead and have the NPCs make em, but not worth player input.
- 1 (8.3%)
Support, but they shouldn't be the standard weapons.
- 4 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 43

Author Topic: {OOC Thread} If Bay12 was a Fortress 3  (Read 53867 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: {OOC THREAD} If Bay12 was a Fortress 3
« Reply #225 on: August 30, 2015, 09:50:39 pm »

even with a existing link to the target in question, which in turn provides a means of attacking both the primary and secondary targets?
not to mention the fact that being extremely adept with necromancy in specific counts for nothing when messing with a persons soul?
You do have to get at it first.
Spark is currently all magic.  You'd have to hijack the telepathic link, which is firmly anchored in the more secure layers. 

All right, I'm going to ask that we all move the discussion over here like it's supposed to be.  I can't do multiple tabs at once on my Kindle.

E:Why does it always seem like just when I stop checking, people reply, and then they don't.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 10:10:26 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #226 on: August 31, 2015, 04:29:09 am »

I can kick you because grabbing a swinging pick and then kicking somebody don't really give you sufficient time to run off, by the way, unless you're some sort of demigod vampire necromancer.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 31, 2015, 05:01:24 am »

he basically kicked you, turned, and ran/limped as fast as he could. unless you're standing in front of the lift, which I doubt, then he would have to get around you. on the same note, I am saying that I am so slow that you easily caught up, kicked me down, and have me on the ground. isn't that good enough!?
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #228 on: August 31, 2015, 06:31:42 am »

Well yes and no. Running off entails releasing the pick or trying to wrest it from my grasp both of which will likely go sour for you in some way, though you could probably outrun me. My main issue is taking three discrete actions in one "turn," so to speak.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 31, 2015, 06:39:43 am »

well since he's a mage and not some muscular soldier, he's likely to try and simply let go, and run while he's down.
on the same note, he is wounded in one leg, so outrunning would require that he busted a kneecap on you in his kick, which is possible.
finally, he is UNARMED.

I cannot stress this enough. he is dressed in freakin regular clothing and has no weapons aside from his (Extremely limited at this point) magic.
 yes, he could try to pry the soul out of your freakin body, but that would take too much time and draw far too much attention.
besides which, it was meant as a escape maneuver more than a combat one, so in theory it should be two separate actions. (stopping the blow from the pick, and kicking off of the dwarf)
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 31, 2015, 09:29:29 am »

Dustan.
I don't think that ignoring me is going to work in a combat situation.
Please fix that.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 31, 2015, 01:47:20 pm »

"The system divides enemies into brutes, which you can defeat (it might be a kill, them running in fear, unconscious, whatever) by the dozens (you can get rid of several with a single attack), henchmen, which are weaker than characters, but an actual threat (they actually use the same rules as player characters, except they can take less punishment) and villains, who function the same as player characters, though usually there's one stronger villain against a number of PCs."

Found this somewhere. Whaddaya think?
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 31, 2015, 01:49:49 pm »

"The system divides enemies into brutes, which you can defeat (it might be a kill, them running in fear, unconscious, whatever) by the dozens (you can get rid of several with a single attack), henchmen, which are weaker than characters, but an actual threat (they actually use the same rules as player characters, except they can take less punishment) and villains, who function the same as player characters, though usually there's one stronger villain against a number of PCs."

Found this somewhere. Whaddaya think?
Sounds kind of like how this already works.
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 31, 2015, 02:48:24 pm »

Indeed. Still thought it was worth the copypasta, it's a good description for the ruleset.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 31, 2015, 06:31:13 pm »

Amp, we need to clear this up.
How big is Spark?
I've given contradictory numbers, myself, so I'm part of the problem here, but you're not really helping either, and I don't even know.
Blargh.
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 31, 2015, 06:39:00 pm »

Less than a meter long, fairly spindly, low-mass. Wings have a lot of volume, but on the whole it doesn't weigh very much, since it's designed for unassisted flight, and that much solid corundum wouldn't be able to get off the ground without active help. I'm assuming it's runebound to weigh less, in addition to using less-dense materials.

The above has been my assumption, and is not necessarily Word of GM.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 31, 2015, 06:47:53 pm »

Additionally, It's my assumption that any being or object designed to fly does so by normal means unless otherwise noted. Hence, Spark weighs very little, Skalewyrm has genuinely absurd upper-body strength in addition to having a JATO engine for a head and surprisingly large wings, [REDACTED] can [REDACT] and [DATA CORRUPTED].
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 31, 2015, 06:54:10 pm »

Less than a meter long, fairly spindly, low-mass. Wings have a lot of volume, but on the whole it doesn't weigh very much, since it's designed for unassisted flight, and that much solid corundum wouldn't be able to get off the ground without active help. I'm assuming it's runebound to weigh less, in addition to using less-dense materials.

The above has been my assumption, and is not necessarily Word of GM.
I was assuming that there was a fair dose of !!MAGIC!! in the construction that serves to counteract the largest gravitational force in the area, and perhaps a slightly larger volume than that.  Like maybe a full meter long.  Although spindly does describe a snake with wings shape pretty well.
...Oooh, I know what I did.  It converts gravitational force to magic to flight power, causing an equilibrium to be reached.  The wing motions are to provide additional propulsion in whatever direction.  Yes.  This makes sense.  And could be done, too...
FWIW, there's an entire month's worth of accumulated magic in there (or in general used at some point) to power this stuff.
Cheap tricks with physics and absurd energy efficiency == fun!
Yeah, consider this a retroactive noting, by the way.
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 31, 2015, 06:59:20 pm »

In my opinion, it makes a lot more sense to artificially reduce the thing's mass, then have useable wings that double as energy-absorption vanes. Gravitational messing-around is another thing I'd rather y'all couldn't do yet, especially when there's better options available.

To clarify, by "Insufficient mass" the Narrator meant that Spark can't really knock somebody over, being more like a large bird than a stone lizard.

*Leaves for 45 minutes*
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 31, 2015, 07:08:54 pm »

*Leaves for 45 minutes*
I better go start another argument then.
(Because that always happens.)
In my opinion, it makes a lot more sense to artificially reduce the thing's mass, then have useable wings that double as energy-absorption vanes. Gravitational messing-around is another thing I'd rather y'all couldn't do yet, especially when there's better options available.

To clarify, by "Insufficient mass" the Narrator meant that Spark can't really knock somebody over, being more like a large bird than a stone lizard.
Frankly, humans aren't that stable.
A large bird, flying at you with intent to ram, probably WOULD knock you over.

In my opinion, I would think of the Cool solution first.  Especially considering magic has large efficiency bonuses so far.
To clarify: I'm not messing with gravity, I'm using the kinetic energy height (or gravitational potential energy) converts to to as you fall to counteract the kinetic energy height converts to as you fall.  This is specifically in the direction of the most gravitational force, generally, and Spark can't tap the energy of things hanging onto him either, so lifting is limited (should the objects themselves not get a similar effect applied) but I don't see any reason flight would have problems save running out of atmosphere.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 07:23:59 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 43