Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How do you feel about the use of guns in this setting?

We know how to make them and they're useful, mainline production.
- 4 (33.3%)
They seem out of place and run rather counter to a fantasy setting, avoid them.
- 2 (16.7%)
Get outta here, nerd, nobody finds guns that interesting.
- 1 (8.3%)
Go ahead and have the NPCs make em, but not worth player input.
- 1 (8.3%)
Support, but they shouldn't be the standard weapons.
- 4 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 43

Author Topic: {OOC Thread} If Bay12 was a Fortress 3  (Read 53891 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: {OOC THREAD} If Bay12 was a Fortress 3
« Reply #150 on: August 23, 2015, 09:28:56 pm »

Well all right then. You must have met some interesting hippies.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 23, 2015, 09:33:06 pm »

Spoiler: For Amp Eyes Only (click to show/hide)
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 23, 2015, 09:41:57 pm »

Spoiler: Fishnet (click to show/hide)
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 23, 2015, 09:46:58 pm »

Spoiler: Amp (click to show/hide)
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 23, 2015, 09:48:33 pm »

Muh FG--OOC Thread

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 24, 2015, 08:44:06 am »

((Dude.  I haven't cast yet.  You can't exactly do that.  I mean, you could certainly TRY...))
As the hidden magi try to drain the spell, they suddenly find themselves getting sniper fire aimed in their direction.
Those that are behind cover, however, find that they are suddenly the target of a small, personal-size, spherical, force push.
((But even if you fail, the link goes both ways.))
One, your snipers are not magic sensitive, and would not be able to pick out 5-9 mages among 15 groups of 24 men. Its like trying to find a piece of hay in a needlestack.

Two, by charging the spell, you exposed your geothaum to siphoning, which is further enhanced/hindered by your transformer/body respectively. That said, yes it is two way, and you can rip it right back out of them, one at a time as a much faster rate.

Three, your "force push" spell was not charged At All. I will let this slip by saying it tosses them around and exposes them for the snipers, but once again you are being siphoned from, so unless you are siphoning back and then using the energy to try and toss a different one around, that is not going to work at all. Also, They can break the link right after to stay hidden from you, and thus from the snipers if you use that method.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 09:09:44 am by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 24, 2015, 12:01:22 pm »

One, Hache said his army was a half-day's march out. That means they're outside range for everything other than magic, we don't have modern artillery and cannot shoot more than a couple miles. Edit; even with a dangerous amount of powder behind them and a specialty barrel, which is what the marksmen are using, but the artillery itself can only reach a mile.

Two, no, Gwolf did not replace most of our traps with steam machinery without telling anyone, effective as it is, and even if he had, we have a cistern.

Three, while you can begin fighting whenever, Fish seems to be under the impression that he can go from having a polite conversation to fighting a long-range mage's duel in a few seconds. Dude, you need to set up, past a hundred meters or so it stops being reflex magic and starts needing forethought.

Four, Hache has his own few problems. Where'd you get a bunch more magic users? I've said before, and I'll say again, this world has a distinct shortage of magic users, there aren't a bunch of village witches and the like around for you to conscript. About the only way you could get large numbers of them would be to hand out "The Secrets of Life and Death" to your living soldiers, which would leave them highly inexperienced and of merely dubious loyalty.

Also, player-created NPC magic users aren't going to be able to outclass a player very easily. They're a threat, of course, but players are going to be stronger in most cases. Net is still fucked if five or ten lesser ritual mages pull an all-out attack, but they have to find him first. He could equally kill them like that, but he also has to confirm their locations before doing so, and it's possible to hide yourself from one another outside visual range. Doing so also makes casting at long-range a bad idea, because you'd leave a power-trace straight through your only real defense, though you can cast within the "Shroud" to a target within the shroud without crippling it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 12:34:11 pm by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 24, 2015, 12:34:33 pm »

One, Hache said his army was a half-day's march out. That means they're outside range for everything other than magic, we don't have modern artillery and cannot shoot more than a couple miles.

Two, no, Gwolf did not replace most of our traps with steam machinery without telling anyone, effective as it is, and even if he had, we have a cistern.

Three, while you can begin fighting whenever, Fish seems to be under the impression that he can go from having a polite conversation to fighting a long-range mage's duel in a few seconds. Dude, you need to set up, past a hundred meters or so it stops being reflex magic and starts needing forethought.

Four, Hache has his own few problems. Where'd you get a bunch more magic users? I've said before, and I'll say again, this world has a distinct shortage of magic users, there aren't a bunch of village witches and the like around for you to conscript. About the only way you could get large numbers of them would be to hand out "The Secrets of Life and Death" to your living soldiers, which would leave them highly inexperienced and of merely dubious loyalty.

Also, player-created NPC magic users aren't going to be able to outclass a player very easily. They're a threat, of course, but players are going to be stronger in most cases. Net is still fucked if five or ten lesser ritual mages pull an all-out attack, but they have to find him first. He could equally kill them like that, but he also has to confirm their locations before doing so, and it's possible to hide yourself from one another outside visual range. Doing so also makes casting at long-range a bad idea, because you'd leave a power-trace straight through your only real defense, though you can cast within the "Shroud" to a target within the shroud without crippling it.
yes, he did share the secrets, but even so, you have FOUR magic users in ONE location, with different means of doing so, EG: runes and glyphs, enchanting, technomancy, straight up ritual magic... the probability of that is EXTREMELY low, and therefore it is safe to assume that there will be at least 1 mage per every 3 score soldiers, because towns and cites were conquered, not to mention secrets to add in 2-3 (un)lucky souls who are in it for the loot, and may or may not be thralled/executed and resurrected.

As for them being RITUAL mages specifically, I never said they were. I just said that they were siphoning the power off his own spell, which was amped up and exposed further by his transformer, to fuel a bit of creative, non ritual based !fun!. I did mention flying zombies after all.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 24, 2015, 01:09:40 pm »

Oh.  I thought they had just shown up outside the gates and whatnot, thus my reactions.
I'll have to edit later.

Four magic users, at least two are Earthlings or otherwise offworlders.
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 24, 2015, 01:31:14 pm »

Since when do we have four magic users? Fishnet is a technomancer with some amount of education in- Edit; but usually not ability to use -most things, and enough savvy to learn basic combat magic, Blaze is a runebinder with some ability to perform ritual magic and a good amount of metalsmithing skill. None of my characters, NPC or GMPC, have any magical capability, Murdoc, if he can use magic, has yet to make this clear and as such can't pull it out of the hat, and Gwolf is just an engineer who can aim a rifle.

Both of our two magic users arrived at this fort by narrative causality from other universes entirely, and, if I understand correctly, so did Hache, to wherever he started out.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 01:42:13 pm by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 24, 2015, 01:39:17 pm »

Since when do we have four magic users? Fishnet is a technomancer with some amount of education in most things, and enough savvy to learn basic combat magic, Blaze is a runebinder with some ability to perform ritual magic and a good amount of metalsmithing skill. None of my characters, NPC or GMPC, have any magical capability, Murdoc, if he can use magic, has yet to make this clear and as such can't pull it out of the hat, and Gwolf is just an engineer who can aim a rifle.

Both of our two magic users arrived at this fort by narrative causality from other universes entirely, and, if I understand correctly, so did Hache, to wherever he started out.
then how exactly was the ritual to try and calm the skalewyrm created? blaze was a enchanter last I checked, not a runebinder OR a ritual mage. I know there was one other character from before I joined that was researching runes/glyphs, which makes three. finally, I am assuming that it was through combined effort (with some help from the militia captain guy) that the ritual was made in the first place, and that the person who led the ritual is a mage as well, albeit a extremely limited one.
also, as a recent addition, your new priest will probably have magic due to the fact that he is relating to a god in some respect, and thus is probably blessed slightly with some power related to the sphere of influence his god has.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 24, 2015, 01:47:39 pm »

Ahhh. Right, so Blaze is runic, and because he kept trying to use runes for combat magic I let him use rituals as well. 4Maskwolf's character was also runic, but the player hasn't been around for some time, so I'm not counting him as extant until he returns. The priest isn't so much magic as capable of actually getting his prayers heard, in the same sense that a six-year-old girl is better at getting her crayon-written letters to the president read than some random college student.

I'm sure he knows how to consecrate things, maybe run a passive Protection From Unholy on himself, but he's far from a combat mage, and won't be able to hold up in a fight against even a single necromancer with rudimentary training.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 24, 2015, 01:57:07 pm »

fair enough, but the ratio of mages and/or halfway magical people to other areas is still rather high, not to mention the narrativium flowing through the veins of at least half of them making them stronger than average. I could see the ratio going down to more along 1 per every 4 score soldiers with your argument. EDIT: I am also counting MY necromancer char among the mages present on the attacking side,though he is being lazy and biding his time. at this point, I wanna get back to zombie flinging, so editdop pls fish?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 01:59:04 pm by Dustan Hache »

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 24, 2015, 02:10:09 pm »

Keeping in mind that your character is more powerful than both of them together, things wouldn't be that unfair with just you. Y'all got more narrativium, the story needs a good villain, and it just don't know what to do with Out East.

That said, I'm fine with you having support submages, but, for now, Conservation of Ninjitsu applies, for at least one in-universe reason; There's only so much power to go around. The narrativium-charged ones can pull crazier things off, but there's a limit to how much can be done in a given area before waiting for the Geothaum to recharge.

The fewer you have, the more useful they, and you, will be. Of course, that doesn't stop you from having a good supply of random dudes who Cast From Hitpoints to make sure zombies do useful things, but they're not "actual" mages, no ability to use magic other than self-powered basic necromancy. Basically the groups of "Necromancer Recruit{s}" that ambush you when you wander around towers.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 24, 2015, 02:37:29 pm »

Keeping in mind that your character is more powerful than both of them together, things wouldn't be that unfair with just you. Y'all got more narrativium, the story needs a good villain, and it just don't know what to do with Out East.

That said, I'm fine with you having support submages, but, for now, Conservation of Ninjitsu applies, for at least one in-universe reason; There's only so much power to go around. The narrativium-charged ones can pull crazier things off, but there's a limit to how much can be done in a given area before waiting for the Geothaum to recharge.

The fewer you have, the more useful they, and you, will be. Of course, that doesn't stop you from having a good supply of random dudes who Cast From Hitpoints to make sure zombies do useful things, but they're not "actual" mages, no ability to use magic other than self-powered basic necromancy. Basically the groups of "Necromancer Recruit{s}" that ambush you when you wander around towers.
Keep in mind that my character DOES NOT have access to runic magic, only basic access to enchanting, and specializes only in necromancy! his only "direct" attack is to siphon geothaum energy out of his opponents, and that's sort of becoming a generalized counterattack thing for me.
the rest of his attacks are reliant on having A) a steady supply of excess amputated limbs and/or flesh, B) a source of unprotected corpses or C) a convenient way of generating said corpses on a moments notice. since he is
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
he has access to none of these things at the moment.

at this point, the conservation of ninjitsu is indeed in effect, but is slowly being subverted as the siege begins and the army of corpse flinging crazies becomes the least of their worries. once he can actually use his powers, all except for the remaining regular troops are basically rendered useless and will most likely just watch from the sidelines, maybe troll a dwarf by resurrecting someone's missing hand from long distance.

also, are you a TV Troper by any chance?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 43