Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How do you feel about the use of guns in this setting?

We know how to make them and they're useful, mainline production.
- 4 (33.3%)
They seem out of place and run rather counter to a fantasy setting, avoid them.
- 2 (16.7%)
Get outta here, nerd, nobody finds guns that interesting.
- 1 (8.3%)
Go ahead and have the NPCs make em, but not worth player input.
- 1 (8.3%)
Support, but they shouldn't be the standard weapons.
- 4 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 43

Author Topic: {OOC Thread} If Bay12 was a Fortress 3  (Read 53836 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: {OOC Thread} If Bay12 was a Fortress 3
« Reply #360 on: January 06, 2016, 02:59:22 pm »

Clearly. Nerfing is my distinct preference. I currently don't have enough time to type out an essay's worth of argument, so if you'd be kind enough to offer a few ideas, I'll go get ready for precalc.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 06, 2016, 07:21:18 pm »

Having returned from precalc:

So, look. I'm not stopping you having a powerful character. You'll need to be powerful later on. Everybody who can use magic will be incredibly powerful if you lot ever manage to deal with Out East. The thing is, Powerful =/= Mary Sue. The solution to non-sueness is not to make you less powerful.

For instance, you chose to specialize in a form of magic that has extremely powerful, but limited, applications, then attempted to make it usable for everything. That's not making it more powerful as much as making it more sue-y. If you wanted, you could convince another magic-user, by which I mean a player or a GM-controlled NPC, to spend a few months teaching you something new. which would expand your ability to use magic for other purposes.

You also seem to be able to convince NPCs that don't have another human driving them of basically anything, which is fine in and of itself, but not as an unlisted ability that doesn't really mesh with your usual behavior, another suetiful trait.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 07, 2016, 07:40:33 am »

I was kinda under the impression that being a founder was like a +5 to my respect/authority.

Of course if you want me to have more trouble with convincing everyone I can phrase my actions where you decide if it works.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 07, 2016, 03:02:00 pm »

I was thinking more the random captured goblin, and the lots of other people along your journey you'd have to convince. Regardless, that wasn't really my main concern.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 17, 2016, 01:29:11 pm »

So... what the hell are things looking like right now in the fortress?

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 17, 2016, 01:30:13 pm »

Im a Ninja Pig, Gwolfski is my partner in nuclear weapons crime, Fish hates our guts, and Chaotic jut deals. We are fighting over a magic box we found.
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 17, 2016, 01:31:18 pm »

Good to know.  Well, the fortress rune master has returned! :P

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 17, 2016, 02:41:13 pm »

Huzzah!
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #368 on: January 17, 2016, 03:48:12 pm »

go put a sleeping rune on fish. It will help a LOT!
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 17, 2016, 03:49:11 pm »

I still need to explain how rune magic works don't I...

Eh, I'll do that later.  I know I promised to do it months ago, before I disappeared into thin air, but I promise it'll be done...

eventually...

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #370 on: January 17, 2016, 04:37:42 pm »

Do you have heat exchange runes?
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 17, 2016, 08:02:34 pm »

The way Fish, Blaze, and myself hashed it out, Runic magic can be used to permanently alter the physical properties of an object, Glyphs can create an arcane holding pattern around an object {Flaming swords, reflection armor, etc.}, and Ritual magic can accomplish things directly. There's some other forms, but those are the symbol-related ones. You may feel free to contest this, obviously.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 17, 2016, 10:21:20 pm »

The way Fish, Blaze, and myself hashed it out, Runic magic can be used to permanently alter the physical properties of an object, Glyphs can create an arcane holding pattern around an object {Flaming swords, reflection armor, etc.}, and Ritual magic can accomplish things directly. There's some other forms, but those are the symbol-related ones. You may feel free to contest this, obviously.
Define alter the physical properties.  My original idea for rune magic was rather complicated and somewhat difficult to follow.  I don't really have a say over it anymore, honestly: I started the use of rune magic, but I left for several months there and as I understand it we have GMs here now (plus, you know, I left something incomplete so it was completed for me, so kudos to those who completed it!)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 17, 2016, 10:44:11 pm »

I R GM and stuf nao.

Alter the physical properties: Make lighter, make harder, make softer, make heavier. Cause physical change to the structure of the thing, whether it be at the crystalline/grain level of a good steel, or the atomic level of a useable isotope, as long as it's reasonably solid, you can use runes to change it.

Keep in mind that I consider all three of the above together to be the same category, together making a full and versatile discipline of magic, and you can have all of them. Blaze certainly did.

You can also define your own variant if you like, a reasonable part of the point of our magic system is to be developed by discussion with everybody affected, so if you see changes that need to be made, or want to add something, talk it out.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 20, 2016, 12:54:02 pm »

I R GM and stuf nao.
Hi five!

Context: I'm a GM in a game on TVTropes, so hey, why to give hi five's to a fellow GM?

I really should get around to defining things, but I got caught up watching Hetalia on a friend's suggestion.  I'll try for defining later.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 43