Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How do you feel about the use of guns in this setting?

We know how to make them and they're useful, mainline production.
- 4 (33.3%)
They seem out of place and run rather counter to a fantasy setting, avoid them.
- 2 (16.7%)
Get outta here, nerd, nobody finds guns that interesting.
- 1 (8.3%)
Go ahead and have the NPCs make em, but not worth player input.
- 1 (8.3%)
Support, but they shouldn't be the standard weapons.
- 4 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 43

Author Topic: {OOC Thread} If Bay12 was a Fortress 3  (Read 53849 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: {OOC THREAD} If Bay12 was a Fortress 3
« Reply #285 on: September 20, 2015, 01:30:27 am »

You can't make cloaked power cables yet. Or cloaked anything, for that matter. Aside from that fact that a cable would have been cut off by the door closing and caused mobility issues for the tiny flying machine lugging it around. If it's a wire, it's physical, if it's not a wire, it's being transmitted. You can transmit it in all kinds of interesting, not-traditionally-possible ways, but it's either wireless or physically wired.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 20, 2015, 07:42:42 am »

You can't make cloaked power cables yet. Or cloaked anything, for that matter. Aside from that fact that a cable would have been cut off by the door closing and caused mobility issues for the tiny flying machine lugging it around. If it's a wire, it's physical, if it's not a wire, it's being transmitted. You can transmit it in all kinds of interesting, not-traditionally-possible ways, but it's either wireless or physically wired.
Okay, I may have failed to explain that that was more of a metaphor for "The magic is moving itself from point A to point B."
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 20, 2015, 04:15:18 pm »

So basically it's running off a wireless transmission. Have I mentioned magic in this place runs just fine off of mundane forms of energy? You could have a radiowave-powered spell.

I'm willing to accept some other way of doing it, but I don't understand what you mean.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 21, 2015, 06:44:50 pm »

So basically it's running off a wireless transmission. Have I mentioned magic in this place runs just fine off of mundane forms of energy? You could have a radiowave-powered spell.

I'm willing to accept some other way of doing it, but I don't understand what you mean.
It's a self-sustaining spell that establishes a sort of mana pipe through hyperspace or whatever (think LOTA only with a mana tap instead of a giant city-size laser cannon.).  Down which mana equalizes.  There are variants that are one-way, allowing for the charging of said batteries.  But basically, I made both ends, then stuck one end of the tap on to Spark.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 21, 2015, 09:28:55 pm »

You could totally do that, but, especially given all the wonderful applications for something like that, it'll have to be a project, and probably not a short one. The hyperspace-analogue, while exceedingly complex to make use of, has nearly unlimited range, so you'd basically be able to power an entire war effort from one stationary uber-generator.

Also, said hyperspace is The Void, in my personal headcanon definition, which doesn't need to be explained in full at this time, but suffice it to say that it gets unsafe. Totally feasible to do stuff with, but you need to be... Careful.

Edit; There could be alternatives, if you know where to look.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 04:09:49 am by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 22, 2015, 04:44:31 am »

The work for that, in my headcanon of magic, is kind of already done.  Eh.
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 22, 2015, 05:12:36 am »

I'm assuming that, because safer options are readily available elsewhere, the work to use this inferior, more hazardous system wasn't done.

Regardless, I accept that Patham understands the theory behind a great many things, and even how to make much of it. The issue is that he's not used to building it with a technological base barely out of the Iron Age. In modern terms, you aren't building a complex circuit from scratch, you're figuring out how to get the same results from clay pots, natural silicate crystals, some wire, and a lightbulb.

This isn't some bullshit RTS "research" system, you're having to improvise solutions to complex thaumotechnological issues from dirt, rocks, and scrap metal.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 22, 2015, 05:24:56 am »

I'm assuming that, because safer options are readily available elsewhere, the work to use this inferior, more hazardous system wasn't done.

Regardless, I accept that Patham understands the theory behind a great many things, and even how to make much of it. The issue is that he's not used to building it with a technological base barely out of the Iron Age. In modern terms, you aren't building a complex circuit from scratch, you're figuring out how to get the same results from clay pots, natural silicate crystals, some wire, and a lightbulb.

This isn't some bullshit RTS "research" system, you're having to improvise solutions to complex thaumotechnological issues from dirt, rocks, and scrap metal.
...The invisible words in that sentence were "and simple to do".
It's not supposed to be a technomancy thing, it's supposed to be just a mage thing.
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 22, 2015, 06:15:22 am »

And it is, if you're using spells to send spells. Wirelessly connecting a magitechnical construct to a thaumic capacitor, however, is not.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 22, 2015, 02:25:20 pm »

And it is, if you're using spells to send spells. Wirelessly connecting a magitechnical construct to a thaumic capacitor, however, is not.
...How is that different than remotely powering (your own) spell from a battery at a distance?  It's literally "Stick this bit to the input and magic."  Even with the invisible nonphysical mana tube or whatever, if hyperspace is right out.
...Speaking of the Void, is it more like the Dungeon Dimensions or the Furthest Ring?  Or the actual Void.
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 22, 2015, 05:27:39 pm »

Around the edges, or the "Shallow Void", it's basically just more nothing than nothingness, which is mostly what gets used for spells. Once you go deeper, it gets weird and hostile, more like raw chaos, then in the real "Deep Void", usually years of travel out from the nearest intact universe, it's basically a combination of the Dungeon Dimensions and the Furthest Ring. If you want to travel between entire multiversal clusters, you'll have to travel through that.

Magitek is a machine that accomplishes what it would normally take constant attention from a skilled mage to perform. It's sort of like it's much easier to use your hand for something than to build a machine to take the place of a hand, except worse, and Chaos SpawAAARGxqutvgfplrg sometimes show up for a party if you do it wrong.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #296 on: September 25, 2015, 06:32:15 pm »

by the way, the laptop is fine other than an utterly nonfunctional keyboard. Getting it repaired asap, but the repair place has to order in the parts so I bought a USB keyboard. Works better than the original, to be totally honest.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 25, 2015, 08:02:07 pm »

While the laptop I'm currently using is, while ancient, entirely functional, my other laptop has some fairly similar issues, though I doubt your machine is quite so severely maimed if you can truthfully say that any major component is fine.

Updop soon, not going to waste another week like I usually do.

Muh FG--OOC Thread

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 28, 2015, 04:09:15 am »

[DOP IS IN A STATE OF UPNESS]
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 01, 2015, 03:47:13 am »

I am currently taking college courses, and as such cannot do all the effort of keeping this thread alive. If anyone wants it to continue running, you'll need to actually post frequently and try to solve arguments on your own. I'll remain open to continuing updates for the forseeable future, and may try rebooting stuffs after this term.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 43