Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How do you feel about the use of guns in this setting?

We know how to make them and they're useful, mainline production.
- 4 (33.3%)
They seem out of place and run rather counter to a fantasy setting, avoid them.
- 2 (16.7%)
Get outta here, nerd, nobody finds guns that interesting.
- 1 (8.3%)
Go ahead and have the NPCs make em, but not worth player input.
- 1 (8.3%)
Support, but they shouldn't be the standard weapons.
- 4 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 43

Author Topic: {OOC Thread} If Bay12 was a Fortress 3  (Read 53884 times)

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: {OOC THREAD} If Bay12 was a Fortress 3
« Reply #135 on: August 21, 2015, 05:44:54 pm »

ammo clips. easy to use and make, only requires some springs
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 21, 2015, 06:45:53 pm »

Ammo clips are incredibly simple to make, and require only a spring-loaded mechanism in the firearm itself to operate. Ammo magazines are rather more complex and require individual springs, locking mechanisms, ETC, making them only worthwhile with advanced manufacture or specialized weapons.

In real-life firearms, the M1 Garand uses a clip, and the Thompson submachine gun uses a magazine.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 21, 2015, 07:37:41 pm »

...I just had one of those ideas.
Homing.
Machine gun.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 21, 2015, 07:42:56 pm »

HAML. Homing Automatic Missile Launcher. HAMeLin Pipes. Yes. But not yet. Later. We can't do that yet.

Also, HARL. Heavy Automatic Rocket Launcher, HARLequin. Nearer term, but still not yet possible.

As a midground, SARL, Squad Automatic Rocket Launcher.

Homing, arcane or otherwise, is, for now, easier to accomplish with the shells of our artillery, or raw spellwork.

Yes, I have thought about this before, why do you ask.

Also, later plot point, much later, SCHED.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 21, 2015, 07:44:58 pm »

If you do some detailed work on the barrel, it should be very possible to at the very least get some turn in the fire.
Not necessarily full, follow-you-down-the-corner-you-just-turned homing (which would probably require computational assistance and some stuff on the munitions), but better than straight fire that's for sure...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 21, 2015, 07:56:28 pm »

With smart rifling/barrel articulation of some sort, and a computer/smart enchantment in the gun, you could have it partially aim for you. For the projectiles to alter their trajectory mid-flight, even small amounts, they require individual guidance systems, enchantment, runebinding, or integrated technomancy. For something capable of turning corners, you require very low round velocities and micro-impulse nodes, with a warhead or arcane trick to deal the damage, or exceedingly powerful inboard propulsion systems.

For heavy, specialized sniper rifles, something in between the first two categories would be exceptionally useful, and plausible for development within a useful time-scale. I say heavy sniper rifles because the rounds would need to be quite large to hold the necessary alterations.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 21, 2015, 07:59:35 pm »

Of course, enchanting/technomancing arrows to home is much easier, as they already have guidance fins. It would also be possible to include some form of inboard accelerator, or to alter the bow's properties such that it amplifies the force of release, for more velocity and thereby range, especially coupled with the heavier heads required for enhancement of damage properties.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 21, 2015, 11:14:02 pm »

Necromancer cancels Siege Fortress: Waiting for turn.
How much longer?
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 22, 2015, 03:32:33 am »

I honestly don't know.

Actually, so I can finish up more quickly, everyone post in the main thread to put all your attempted actions in one place. You aren't limited to one a month, just one big one and a few small ones.

After that, a caravan will arrive to do some things, and then all bets are off and y'all can mess with each other however you like.

Having said that, if anybody attempts to go FATAL or Rule 34 up in here I'm dropping a hypervelocity lump of space-gravel on your characters and moving on.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 23, 2015, 07:06:42 pm »

/nonsequitur

Do you want one of these in the fort, or do you want one of these in the fort;

Yes, that is like a 650mm medieval cannon. With such a big barrel they couldn't actually forge it in one piece.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 07:09:54 pm by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 23, 2015, 07:17:26 pm »

Heh.
*skip*
Heh.
*skip*
Heh.
*skip*
Heh.
*skip*
Heh.
*skip*
Heh.
*skip*
Heh.
*skip*
Heh.
*repeat ad infinitum*
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 23, 2015, 07:20:28 pm »

[HERE'S YOUR UPDOP]
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 23, 2015, 08:51:59 pm »

Muahaha! Time to kill some hippies!
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 23, 2015, 09:19:00 pm »

Are you referring to musket-toting, white phosphorous-throwing, steel-armored dwarves as hippies, or to the elves I said you've conquered and reanimated as disposable minions?
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 23, 2015, 09:27:34 pm »

All of the above.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 43