Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How do you feel about the use of guns in this setting?

We know how to make them and they're useful, mainline production.
- 4 (33.3%)
They seem out of place and run rather counter to a fantasy setting, avoid them.
- 2 (16.7%)
Get outta here, nerd, nobody finds guns that interesting.
- 1 (8.3%)
Go ahead and have the NPCs make em, but not worth player input.
- 1 (8.3%)
Support, but they shouldn't be the standard weapons.
- 4 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 43

Author Topic: {OOC Thread} If Bay12 was a Fortress 3  (Read 53888 times)

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
Re: {OOC THREAD} If Bay12 was a Fortress 3
« Reply #120 on: August 21, 2015, 01:51:34 am »

True,but properly constructed fortress defense can still make the task of repelling any infantry force, living or not, much easier.

I'll try to avoid metagaming after your mention of flying zombies; I wasn't planning on prepping for them.

Oh yeah; what kind of defenses already exist? Do we have drawbridges to seal access, any sort of standard weapon traps, etc?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 01:53:18 am by KingMurdoc »
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 21, 2015, 02:06:56 am »

Mass infantry tactics; an artillerist's genocidal wet dream.
Just you wait, i am not spoiling anything more about my army.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 21, 2015, 03:16:50 am »

Okay, so my actions from the first year alone, before I was a GMPC and not allowed to do much, gave us good stone walls, thick iron gates, six marksmen's towers- two of them outside the walls as watch-posts, easily overrun -, about 30 or 40 standard-issue black-powder-and-round-shot cannons, probably something like 14 kilo balls, five big 350mm howitzers in gunlaying machinery entirely made from preexisting dorfy clockpunk, around a half-dozen 20mm repeating cannons, fed from 15 round clips {Clips, not magazines, there's a difference and I know it} and capable of being loaded with several cartridges, enough small, crude firearms to equip most of our infantry, and a considerable store of ammunition for all of the above, with the remaining four monthturns spent on less militant pursuits and much of the actual work done by normdorfs.

Our main weakness is in our people, who are both few and largely inexperienced, though trained.

The above is all common knowledge in the fort and easily visible from the surface, making it reasonably knowable by Hache and anybody else who gets a scout a view past the walls.

There's also a good amount that other people could have done, but I'm not sure if it was. Blaze, for instance, has 12 monthturns to negotiate with, and 4Maskwolf if he deigns to reappear.

Also, because this could easily be seen as overboard, I'm entirely willing to tune this down.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 03:18:42 am by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #123 on: August 21, 2015, 01:27:40 pm »

quick question: can we make tiny and delicate mechanisms or is everything big and clunky?
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2015, 02:43:02 pm »

That would depend on how small and what you want to do with it. Certainly if you collaborate with some of the local crafters or the mages, you could make some quite intricate devices, but you certainly couldn't make a tiny, delicate steam engine.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 21, 2015, 02:47:29 pm »

That would depend on how small and what you want to do with it. Certainly if you collaborate with some of the local crafters or the mages, you could make some quite intricate devices, but you certainly couldn't make a tiny, delicate steam engine.
Maybe a clockwork/springs/whatever contraption.
Attach a small magic motor to wind it...
Holy crap perpetual motion.  In theory.
Although considering that magic is kind of...Eh, right now...Either way, it could still.
Hmm.
Got to think about that.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #126 on: August 21, 2015, 02:48:50 pm »

whatever. big, clunky machinery for me!

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 21, 2015, 02:52:01 pm »

Given that clockwork usually uses springs to provide rotary motion anyway, it makes more sense to just use the motor, springs aren't very efficient.

But yeah, it's possible. The magic isn't reliable enough just now, but it may get better, if y'all beat a few sets of insurmountable odds.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 21, 2015, 02:53:40 pm »

Oh, those are my specialty.
;P
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #129 on: August 21, 2015, 02:56:09 pm »

clockwork repeater guns...

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 21, 2015, 03:00:31 pm »

clockwork repeater guns...
We don't even need clockwork to make repeaters.  We just need to make the right sort of barrel.
Would...
Hmh.
That would, no.
Augh.
If...Yeah, magic could, but no...
No.
Dang it, I neeed to figure this out now or it'll be eating at me all day.
How do ammo belts work?
Sigtext

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #131 on: August 21, 2015, 03:17:00 pm »

i have an idea for clockwork machine guns.

THe knockback from the shot winds up a spring which changes the barrel, ejecting the used shell and instering a new one.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 21, 2015, 04:51:23 pm »

The reason that was never done is that the modern method is simpler and more reliable. On the other hand, crazy clockwork guns are an amazing idea. Perhaps use a standard bolt-or-lever action, but with a crazy overpowered cartridge and use the recoil to charge a spring for a secondary function.

Also worth noting, the barrel has very little to do with a repeater's function, unless it "Repeats" by virtue of multiple barrels. In a recoil-operated, bolt, or lever-action weapon, the mechanisms are all in the area around the trigger. Actually, go wikipedia the Sten Gun, it's got a pretty great animation of how a very simple recoil-operated machine gun works.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #133 on: August 21, 2015, 05:03:13 pm »

has multiple barreals and spins round. very prone to jamming

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 21, 2015, 05:26:36 pm »

Gatling guns really aren't worth the trouble unless they either need to worry about overheating, or you don't have recoil-operated ones yet. On the other hand, if one gets made, it'll get used.

Another thing we could use is a reliable way of mass-manufacturing cased rounds, since right now we're on hand-load only, which restricts most forms of repeater's ammunition supply pretty badly.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 43