Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 159

Author Topic: Arms Race, OOC [Completed] Now with Arms Race III, against another forum!  (Read 230787 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, OOC Thread is back again!
« Reply #1605 on: August 26, 2015, 08:20:29 am »

Expensive, plus one for optics.

I see. The wording is a bit ambiguous. I interpreted it as having bomb sights as a standard part of the design, not an expensive retrofit.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: August 26, 2015, 08:23:04 am »

I do feel the next Arms race game need to compensate for this situation. There is little point for WWII besides revenge after Stalingrad and Midway.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: August 26, 2015, 08:25:16 am »

I find it funny that I switched to the losing side because it is more entertaining for me but half of Moskurg thread wants to abandon the game.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: August 26, 2015, 08:27:35 am »

Actually,  when you developed the tank you almost took the plains back. I still don't understand why you didn't put all your efforts there at the time. (When we got the tank destroyer)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: August 26, 2015, 08:30:10 am »

IIRC, our one chance to take back the plains was when we were creating heroes for each side. Your hero prevented us from taking it.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: August 26, 2015, 09:51:48 am »

Actually,  when you developed the tank you almost took the plains back. I still don't understand why you didn't put all your efforts there at the time. (When we got the tank destroyer)
We did try our best. Then your war hero introduced towed arty warfare and we lose. Its all downhill from there.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: August 26, 2015, 09:52:43 am »

At this point I'm only watching, instead of playing, since it feels useless to try to design weapons when Arstotzka advances on every front anyway.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1612 on: August 26, 2015, 10:01:11 am »

At this point I'm only watching, instead of playing, since it feels useless to try to design weapons when Arstotzka advances on every front anyway.
All things considered, that's how you're supposed to turn the tide and win the war. Also, do I smell salt?
I think I'll blame that on dice Gods, Dust Devils, Ice Giants or whatever.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: August 26, 2015, 10:04:24 am »

* LordSlowpoke throws some salt at kot

now you too can feel how it's like to be on the receiving end of salt

truly progressive

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: August 26, 2015, 10:04:48 am »

It's not salt, I just don't feel like playing anymore. Salt means sadness, not apathy.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: August 26, 2015, 10:39:36 am »

*HLG plays never surrender for the person who is surrendering.*
YOU CAN DO IT! *HLG hides from the police searching for someone who likes hiding and leaves.*

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: August 26, 2015, 10:42:50 am »

It honestly surprised me that we maanaged to advance in the jungle.  Paratroopers helped but I think we also got good rolls.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1617 on: August 26, 2015, 10:54:51 am »

* LordSlowpoke throws some salt at kot

now you too can feel how it's like to be on the receiving end of salt

truly progressive
Stop being salty. :>
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: August 26, 2015, 11:06:57 am »

nu

* LordSlowpoke throws more salt

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: August 26, 2015, 11:33:49 am »

Expensive, plus one for optics.

I see. The wording is a bit ambiguous. I interpreted it as having bomb sights as a standard part of the design, not an expensive retrofit.

That would reduce the price of about three-quarters of Moskurg's items, along with free radios and optics on all tanks and artillery, if it was true.

To be honest, there were lots of opportunities to win it, but most designs were just random people +1 stuff, or going for single-roll and single use (or zero use) refits and designs.  Arstotzka had four or five rolls for a significant majority of every designs, which allows for massive successes, and is a far superior way to play.  A 1 doesn't mess the whole design, it's just that you get less bonuses on the resulting item.  Especially when a 1 simply means you roll that item into the next bonus attempt next turn.. there's no drawback to going for more things.

In general, I think there could have been guaranteed fives all the way down, and I don't think Moskurg would have had a chance, simply due to ill-concieved decisions and bad orders.  Arstotzka had many more players, who actually argued with each other, while coming up with improved designs and additional things to roll for in each.  Lastly, many of them would complain bitterly about anything effective on the other side, while ignoring limitations or inconsistancies or inaccuracies in their own designs.  When you are the only source talking nothing but positively about your own designs, you can sneak more things through without getting caught.
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 159