Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 159

Author Topic: Arms Race, OOC [Completed] Now with Arms Race III, against another forum!  (Read 230745 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, OOC Thread
« Reply #1230 on: August 15, 2015, 04:52:01 am »

I haven't looked at their thread but I know you're all talking about AA. Historically, how were AA guns defeated?
Build more planes than the enemy could shoot down. At this point however, AA is still ineffective. No way to guess where the planes are without seeing them, no proximity fuses, ...

I haven't looked at their thread but I know you're all talking about AA. Historically, how were AA guns defeated?
Actually, it's not AA, but a new fighter. One that might be better than our current fighter if they can iron out the bugs, but it has quite a few bugs to iron out :P

It is cheaper (resource cost, not actual cost), faster, may be more maneuverable, and possibly better armed (The Brumby was noted at being less effective against our planes, but it's unknown if that applies to the Sorraia, especially as it's not ground fire.)

Anyway, now is not the moment to discuss this.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: August 15, 2015, 04:54:04 am »

Interim Turn Announcements
I'll definitely have to sleep before making a new battle report, at this point. Before then I figured I'd post some stuff I was thinking about.

Oops, Moskurg Model 4 costs resources!
I didn't mean to leave it with no resource cost. It costs 3 ore, 3 oil.

The Final Word on Recoilless Rifles
Having done more research, it seems very unlikely that an antique or modern Recoilless Rifle around the Rhino/Hippo's size could reasonably penetrate the amount of armor it's been penetrating without the benefit of HEAT rounds. I still don't think this is the biggest issue in the world. I also care for internal consistency with events in my own game as much or more as I care for consistency between my game and real life. As such I have a couple options:
A) Keep the RR's as they are. They have one or two points more AP than they probably should. Oh well, it's just one weapon.
B) Nerf the AP, but explain previous performance by giving it moderately effective HEAT rounds. This would imply that Moskurg made decent 2.2 inch HEAT rounds when they made either the Rhino or the Hippo, effectively giving them a 6 die roll retroactively. On the plus side for Arstotzka, this would mean the RR's don't stand to be drastically improved by adding HEAT rounds and would be more easily defeated by, say, slat armor. On the other hand, these HEAT rounds would be available for Breaker guns and possibly SPATs, as a matter of consistency. This would improve moskurg anti-armor performance considerably.

I will be hearing arguments (not votes) for A and B options, from both sides, and of course Kot and 10ebbor10 in particular.

War Crimes
A lot of people are concerned about violating the Geneva Protocol/Hague Conventions and similar. I can say that your countries are not signatory to any international war crime treaty. In my brief research I haven't yet found any clear record of how these were enforced on non-signatory countries, either in theory or in practice. I'd appreciate it if someone could point me to a good article on that subject. I would probably use a simplified version in game (these treaties are long man), the biggest tenet being the banned use of gas weapons and poisons, with expanding bullets and such probably banned as well (I will warn any nation before they go ahead with designing/revising treaty-violating weapons so there is no ambiguity). Anyway, I'd like to have these as a game mechanic with clear rules rather than ambiguous ones players are fearful and unsure of.

The Arstotzka-Moskurg War Treaty
(I'll repost this at the top of the 1930 BR as well)

At the risk of turning this into a diplomacy game: High Command of each Nation is proposing a war treaty. In a game-changing, landmark historical event, some basic articles, such as "Prisoners will not be served as meals to other prisoners", "Prisoners will not be served as meals to tigers or bears" and "Prisoners are friends, not food" have already been agreed upon! It also forbids to weaponized use of the Ark of the Covenant, if it is ever found. They are looking to the engineers of both sides to form the section of the agreement that pertains to which weapons are allowed and not allowed.

You may draft an agreement which describes forms of banned weapons, eg "All gas and chemical weapons are banned, and the use of tigers as weapons is banned" or "landmines may not be stacked on top of one another" or even "Moskurg may not use recoilless rifles, and Arstotzka may not use RPGs" and then this agreement must be ratified by a majority of voting players on each side. The terms can be whatever you want, even unreasonable stuff if both nations agree. You can even get creative and, for example, make provisions for future additions. Beware of loopholes, or use them to your advantage. High command will refuse to deploy any banned weapon out of a superstitious, unfounded fear of frost giants/sand devils, but also because the country which is victim to treaty violation will receive a game-breaking amount of foreign aid expense credits and materials.

Also, start posting National Sports
It will make my job easier if they are here in the OOC thread when I start writing the battle report tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 04:57:01 am by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: August 15, 2015, 05:04:51 am »

>The Final Word on Recoilless Rifles

Argument C: For all point and purposes, the Moskurgian APHE (which has no similarity to real life APHE) acts as a primitive HEAT warhead though it is not described as such. (The way it is described would generally only succeed in shooting shrapnel in the face of your own troops). Simply rename that the primitive HEAT, no need to change performance.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: August 15, 2015, 05:06:21 am »

>The Final Word on Recoilless Rifles

Argument C: For all point and purposes, the Moskurgian APHE (which has no similarity to real life APHE) acts as a primitive HEAT warhead though it is not described as such. (The way it is described would generally only succeed in shooting shrapnel in the face of your own troops). Simply rename that the primitive HEAT, no need to change performance.
This or at worst B is my vote
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: August 15, 2015, 05:10:20 am »

Proposed Arstotzka-Moskurg War Treaty
  • Chemical weapons are banned
  • Poisonous and/or toxic weapons are banned
  • Biological weapons are banned
  • Radioactive weapons are banned
  • The use of immature animals and/or humans (babies, puppies, kittens, etc.) in battle is prohibited
  • Torture of humans and/or animals is prohibited

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: August 15, 2015, 05:15:06 am »

Proposed Arstotzka-Moskurg War Treaty
  • Chemical weapons are banned
  • Poisonous and/or toxic weapons are banned
  • Biological weapons are banned
  • Radioactive weapons are banned
  • The use of immature animals and/or humans (babies, puppies, kittens, etc.) in battle is prohibited
  • Torture of humans and/or animals is prohibited

Glory to Arstotzka.

Hmm, nothing I can object to, +1 from me
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: August 15, 2015, 05:19:16 am »

List of objections :

-> Define Chemical Weapon. (Explosives are chemicals too)
-> Define Poisonous/Toxic Weapon (Our bullets do contain lead, for example)
-> Define biological Weapon
-> Define Radioactive weapon
-> Define Torture (Really, being within 500 meters of a Moskurgian is bad enough)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: August 15, 2015, 05:20:11 am »

Posting sport!

Arstotzkan sport is Freestyle Motorsports!

Arstotzkans have always been mechanically minded, so when cars became commonplace, people naturally decided to race in them. Then they began tinkering with the engines, trying to eek out just that much more horsepower, and when fuel injection and turbochargers became a thing, they tinkered with those as well, and the motorsport craze just took off. If it has wheels and an engine, Arstotzkans will race it, from souped up motorcycles to custom-built high-performance drag racers, and anything in between.

You can find any type of racetrack in Arstotzka, from rude dirt oval tracks to expensive asphalt shrines to the sport. And often, you don't even need to go to the track to catch a race; rally races through the streets of the capital are commonplace. If you want to watch a race, you generally only have to stay still for 5 minutes.

No matter where you go to watch a race though, rules tend to be similar. Arstotzkan races generally only have a few rules: No sabotaging or intentionally wrecking the opponent, you must stay on the course(no shortcuts!), and you can't use weapons to attack your opponent. Other than that, a racer can do anything from using special fuels to boost his performance to attaching rockets to his vehicle(one enterprising racer attached wings to his car and attempted to fly above his competition. This was...less than successful, thought he resulting crash and fireball was pretty hilarious.) Arstotskans also don't bother with silly things like safety equipment, and only have the rudest crash barriers in place to simply keep cars from flying into the stands(racers often claim safety is for pansies and tiger fucker Moskurgs). Half the fun of watching Arstotzkan style racing is for the spectacular crashes, with the other half seeing what crazy contraption a racer has come up THIS time to give him any perceived advantage while staying in the letter of the rules. Of course, this wouldn't be Arstotzka if races weren't capped off by a shower of fireworks(though the rockets are often overshadowed by the fireworks on the track).

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: August 15, 2015, 05:21:26 am »

ban combat with everything that is not a sword

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: August 15, 2015, 05:22:39 am »

-> Define Sword

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: August 15, 2015, 05:23:36 am »

-> Define Sword

a weapon having various forms but consisting typically of a long, straight or slightly curved blade, sharp-edged on one or both sides, with one end pointed and the other fixed in a hilt or handle

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: August 15, 2015, 05:24:35 am »

List of objections :

-> Define Chemical Weapon. (Explosives are chemicals too)
-> Define Poisonous/Toxic Weapon (Our bullets do contain lead, for example)
-> Define biological Weapon
-> Define Radioactive weapon
-> Define Torture (Really, being within 500 meters of a Moskurgian is bad enough)
Let's not make this a diplomacy/politics simulator.

+1 but no racing in the city streets. That is illegal.

The technology in small motors that we gained from designing our motorbike will let us make better chainswords than Moskurg. With our extra Ore, we can also make these chainswords out of better materials.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: August 15, 2015, 05:26:22 am »

+1 but no racing in the city streets. That is illegal.

The technology in small motors that we gained from designing our motorbike will let us make better chainswords than Moskurg. With our extra Ore, we can also make these chainswords out of better materials.

Glory to Arstotzka.

Just because it is illegal doesn't mean it happens anyways. :P plus, you know, rally races through cities are a thing, as long as they're done official-like from a governing body of the sport who pays a fee to basically rent out part of the city for a day or two.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: August 15, 2015, 05:28:37 am »

Let's not make this a diplomacy/politics simulator.

Not defining anything merely reinstitutes the same ambiguity that is the problem now.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: August 15, 2015, 05:40:39 am »

Ok, how about this?

>Ban any gaseous or liquid acidic, paralytic, or nerve agent designed to maim/kill any soldier/civilians used on it
>Ban any weapon that utilizes deadly natural or engineered diseases to maim/kill soldier/civilians
>Ban any radioactive "dirty" bombs designed to spread radioactive contamination over an area
>Ban any mistreatment/excessive interrogation of prisoners. All prisoner should have access to a basic cot, three meals a day, and at least the illusion of privacy, and should not be interrogated using methods such as drugs, waterboarding, cutting/maiming, or any method used by the Spanish Inquisition really, or any other method designed to force prisoners to give up information against their will that could be classified as inhumane.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 06:09:41 am by tryrar »
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 159