Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 159

Author Topic: Arms Race, OOC [Completed] Now with Arms Race III, against another forum!  (Read 230257 times)

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, OOC Thread
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2015, 08:15:30 pm »

You should play RO2 and especially rising storm, the US troops in the later game often fire wildly with the M1 while the Japanese will just pick them off, but in assaults and squads, the US troops can more easily suppress even if they dont have supporting weaponry.
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2015, 08:20:44 pm »

Since the Horsekiller doesn't come with a bayonet anymore while the Nosin still does, does that mean Arstotzka is doing better in melee fights against Moskurg?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2015, 08:23:25 pm »

Nope, they just grab a shotgun out :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2015, 08:24:01 pm »

I should have said, the bayonets were made detachable.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2015, 03:16:08 am »

Hey Mosburg guys, let me clue you in on something: a .60 cal shell is 15.24mm, or about only 5mm smaller than your standard autocannon round. Basically, anything over a .50 is better considered an autocannon caliber, and you could argue even a .50(which is 12.7mm or so) could be considered autocannon sized if you stretch the definition. Basically, you guys designed an overengineered, oversized kludge of a weapon and we thank you for it, since you'll never field it in large amounts :P
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2015, 03:21:55 am »

Hey, I voted to make it a 30 cal machinegun.

...And even so, our machine gun can kill vehicles, and yours is a wimpy man's toy gun once the armor shows up.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2015, 03:27:49 am »

Hey Mosburg guys, let me clue you in on something: a .60 cal shell is 15.24mm, or about only 5mm smaller than your standard autocannon round. Basically, anything over a .50 is better considered an autocannon caliber, and you could argue even a .50(which is 12.7mm or so) could be considered autocannon sized if you stretch the definition. Basically, you guys designed an overengineered, oversized kludge of a weapon and we thank you for it, since you'll never field it in large amounts :P
Actually, every Moskurger is armed with a .60 cal Horsekiller rifle.

...And even so, our machine gun can kill vehicles, and yours is a wimpy man's toy gun once the armor shows up.
If you can even survive that long. We're winning in the Jungle and the Mountains, your offensive on the Plains will be stalled due to the increased costs of machine guns and artillery, and the only thing preventing us from making gains in the Plains is something that can be solved with a quick Revision.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2015, 03:33:48 am »

And it's a single-shot breechloading rifle IIRC, making it almost a relic of the 1800s :P. Doesn't matter if you kill one guy with your first shot if his buddies kill you and your buddies in the time it takes to reload, which goes to show bigger isn't always better(just ask the Germans about how their heavy tank program went :P)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2015, 03:44:09 am »

If you can even survive that long. We're winning in the Jungle and the Mountains, your offensive on the Plains will be stalled due to the increased costs of machine guns and artillery, and the only thing preventing us from making gains in the Plains is something that can be solved with a quick Revision.
You know you're being rather cocky when pretty much the entirety of human history is riddled with great wars that ended in comebacks. The Second Punic War, the Sengoku Jidai period, Napoleon's creation of the French Empire and subsequent fall after standing through two coalition wars, World War 1, World War 2, etc.

Not trying to be hateful I'm just saying don't assume you're ever going to win, and then only accept victory after your standing in the ashes of whatever used to makeup their country.

EDIT:
Also -

... (just ask the Germans about how their heavy tank program went :P)
Their heavy tank program actually went extremely well, the reason it failed in the end was because they were already losing the war, and even with that they still made some very impressive achievements. In fact the King Tiger (also called the Tiger 2) has some extremely impressive combat records for instance the Tiger IIs of the 503rd Heavy Panzer Battalion managed to kill something like 130 Soviet tanks, and several hundred AT guns during the period it was deployed in the Hungarian theater. Essentially the Tiger IIs dominated tank warfare for years during WW2, and to even have a decent chance of guaranteeing a kill Allied or Russian forces had to ambush or swarm them in enough numbers to get a few around behind to the weaker armor.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 03:51:51 am by adwarf »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2015, 03:54:52 am »

The Browning was a .60 cal so not exactly autocannons.

Not trying to be hateful I'm just saying don't assume you're ever going to win, and then only accept victory after your standing in the ashes of whatever used to makeup their country.
Right, this should be IC. *clears throat*

Poor most ignorant Moskurgan. Not knowing when of losing is so sad. But must be of ignorant or you cry like babies if knowing how much lose to glorious Arstotzkan military might. We take clay in Mountains, we take clay in Jungles, going to take clay in Plains next year. Arstotzka most stronk country and Moskurg most worst country.

Glory to Arstotzka.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 03:58:10 am by Andres »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 25, 2015, 03:58:16 am »

Warning - while you were typing 6 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.
Whatever you guys just posted, I haven't read it yet.

Alright, time for another year!

I've been debating on how to balance progress. Currently what I've been doing is judging by the state of real firearms (and your current ones) how much of a leap in value and complexity the new weapon is. Then, failed dice rolls and the fact you can only perform one research a turn keeps progress in check- I planned on adding more research offices when you guys had too many different things going on at once to keep up. If I base it entirely on how technically difficult it would be for you to implement the new gun, then you have a huge advantage compared to your real life counterparts because you know what firearms are going to be useful since you already had history to look at- in real life, development is slowed by the exploration of designs which turn out to be impractical, or the fear of that. So, do you think I should continue to weigh by historical prevalence, or allow you guys a bit of prescience in terms of military doctrine? The only thing stopping you from employing semiautomatic weapons for your entire army by 1920 would be the fact that you need to research weapons for your entire military (eg artillery, vehicles, grenades, trains) one at a time, and the occasional bad die roll. You would probably make some irrational jumps towards modern firearms, but at least we can argue that makes some sense because unlike real countries, you are permanently at war.

Okay, enough of that nonsense, how about a battle report?

1913 Battle Phase

Arstotzka's army now contains the following:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Moskurg's army now contains the following:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This year shows some interesting advances. The Moskurg army has finally developed the sensible .30 caliber Model 1 Service Rifle, a weapon which is gives them approximate parity with the Nosin-Magant. They also shrunk the M1 Stallion down to carry through the mountains, though the metal supply remains scarce. Arstotzka introduced a lightly armored uniform, with an attempt at camouflage largely nullified by the insistence of high command that soldiers wear flags on their heads. Not flag patches, but actual little flags on sticks. Arstotzka also sorted out the issues with their artillery.

As ever, the most important fighting rages on in the plains. Arstotzkan artillery now rains shells over Moskurg trenches, and threatens any Moskurg commanders with cheeky ideas about pushing their artillery forward. The new armor means that far less Arstotzkans die to artillery (which remains one of the biggest threats to infantry) when charging between trenches. The stolen shotgun designs also help when attacking enemy artillery emplacements. The new armor occasionally succeeds in protecting from buckshot. The new Model 1 rifle employed by the Moskurg army, however, picks up a lot of the stallions' slack in defending against charges, and they keep the advantage in trench fighting as well. Ultimately, however, the AS-1911 mortar continues to show great value as a weapon to allow infantry to attack machinegun emplacements from cover. Arstotzka gains ground.

In the mountains, the new Model 1 service rifle proves very effective compared to the breech-loading Horsekiller, although a number of skilled Moskurg sharpshooters continue to prefer the .60 round. The more portable stallion sees occasional use here, and its range gives it an advantage over the Arstotzka machine gun. However, the expense of deploying these weapons means they still do not have a very big effect on the sharp-shooting oriented combat here. Arstotzka attacks the mines on the north side of the mountains too frequently for Moskurg to use them.

In the jungle, the new, more portable Stallion earns a fearsome reputation, punching through smaller trees and wooden palisades. However, it's just not seen very commonly compared to the AS-1910. The Model 1 Service Rifle proves a boon here, however. The fighting is ultimately a stalemate. Arstotzkan soldiers in little forts complain of the heat, spend hours cleaning mud from their weapons, and rarely are killed by tigers.

In the capitol of Arstotzka, one late night, a man exits the Bureau of Weapons Research by the back entrance. He is wearing a long overcoat, strapped tight, and hides under a wide-brimmed hat. Most importantly, he carries a large brief case, and walks through the snowy street avoiding the light of the street lamps. The briefcase contains one AS-1911 mortar and three mortar shells, as well as a folder of documents on their manufacture. He scurries through back alleys, down the road, and cuts into the woods. Precisely ten minutes after having closed the briefcase, a rigged mortar shell explodes. The game of espionage has seen its first casualty.

At home in each country, a telephone line has been installed in the research office, leading directly to the palace. As visits to the palace are no longer necessary to receive orders, all engineers' palace buffet passes have been revoked.

Let the 1914 designs begin!
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2015, 04:02:49 am »

Arstotzkans, now favourite cat-scratching posts for large cats :D
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2015, 04:03:24 am »

rarely are killed by tigers.
I have some form of telepathy, or foresight apparently. :v

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2015, 04:09:16 am »

Of course Moskurg wanting to steal most best and most GLORIOUS Arstotzkan-designed mortar! Is best in world and Moskurg has zero mortar! But foolish Moskurg think Arstotzka is easy to fool like Moskurg and try to steal, but Arstotzka much smarter and put Moskurg much into failing!

Glory to Arstotzka!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2015, 07:04:41 am »

The Stallion and Howitzer are, indeed, now rendered Very Expensive.
The Howitzer is still noted as merely expensive.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 159