Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No save folder, but save still works (solved)  (Read 1137 times)

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No save folder, but save still works (solved)
« on: July 20, 2015, 09:06:46 am »

I'm trying to run a succession fortress, but there's no save folder in the /data folder, although I can still load and save the game normally. I can't find the save even by searching for region1, and if I rename the DF folder the game doesn't find the save either.

What's going on, and how do I fix this?

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No save folder, but save still works
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 09:38:36 am »

Are you saying that you can somehow load the save, even though there's not actually a /data/save folder for it to be in?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 09:40:07 am »

It could be hidden.

Try showing hidden files in explorer.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 09:47:16 am »

Are you saying that you can somehow load the save, even though there's not actually a /data/save folder for it to be in?

Exactly. It's not hidden either - you can't navigate to it from command prompt, nor is the data folder any larger than that of a game without saves at all.

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 09:53:19 am »

Did you maybe rename the save folder, or the data folder, or move them to places they don't belong, and now the game's being saved in freshly created folder of the correct name?

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 10:12:24 am »

Did you maybe rename the save folder, or the data folder, or move them to places they don't belong, and now the game's being saved in freshly created folder of the correct name?

No, although I did some saving and overwriting with the DF folder itself while trying to get dfhack installed. It didn't work, so I just redownloaded DF and the My Little Fortress mod into a new folder. When I run the exe from the "DF 4024 pony" folder, it loads the game from somewhere, but there's still no save folder in "DF 4024 pony\data\" folder.

I just created a new world from the same game, which got created as region2, but it didn't reveal the save folder from anywhere either.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No save folder, but save still works (help needed!)
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 03:36:23 am »

I just tried making another copy of DF, and the same thing happened again. Dwarf Fortress save folder cannot be found or navigated to, doesn't take space, won't get copied when copying the game folder, and the games can be loaded only when the game folder has the same name as when the world was generated.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No save folder, but save still works (help needed!)
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 04:02:55 am »

Solved it. Apparently Comodo Antivirus sandboxes seemingly random applications, and the files were at C:\VTRoot folder. I disabled auto sandboxing, added Dwarf Fortress to trusted applications and manually copied the save folder from VTRoot to Data, and now everything seems to be in order.