Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fix critical/major bugs in parallel with adding new features  (Read 562 times)

zacharo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I believe, that the DF would greatly benefit from enhancing the current development cycle, so that it would adress the major/critical bugs in the game more frequently.

In the time I'am writing this, the current version of DF is 40.24, which was released in 7. January, 2015, now it's 19. July 2015, so it's about a half a year since the last release and in the game are present with bugs, which, in my humble opinion, seriously interfere with gameplay, are hard to workarround and bassicaly affect every forttress, e.g:
Defining category "seriously interfere with gameplay, are hard to workarround and bassicaly affect every fortress" is of course quite subjective, nevertheless difference in game impact between problems with pressing honeycomb and having 20 FPS when bunch of Keas decide to enter the map in fortress with 20 dwarves seems obvious to me.

And lastly, the impact of this change on the development cycle itself should not bring complications with adding the new features (or at least not much), provided that some SCM system is used correctly (simple two branches in git should do the trick). The bugs above would be adressed sooner or later anyway.

I tried to resort to 34.11, but it was infeasable for me. I love the new trees too much. :)

I'am sorry if I missed the right forum category, but implementing the suggestion above would certainly make my DF experience far more enjoyable, as the category description states.