Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Storage space  (Read 3836 times)

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Storage space
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2007, 08:13:00 am »

Say you have a 12x12 stone stockpile in an area that can be farmed due to muddiness, like this:

code:
●●●●●●●●●●●●
●●●●●●●●●●●●
●●●●●●●●●●●●
●●●●●●●●●●●●
●●●●●●●●●●●●
●●●●●●●●●●●●
●●●●●●●●●●●●
●●●●●●●●●●●●
●●●●●●●●●●●●
●●●●●●●●●●●●
●●●●●●●●●●●●
●●●●●●●●●●●●

Turn off mineral hauling in orders and options and make a maximum size farm in the middle (removing the stockpile under it first:

code:
●●●●●●●●●●●●
●≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈●
●≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈●
●≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈●
●≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈●
●≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈●
●≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈●
●≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈●
●≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈●
●≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈●
●≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈●
●●●●●●●●●●●●

Remove the farm, turn on mineral hauling, and replace the stockpile:

code:
●●●●●●●●●●●●
●==========●
●==========●
●==========●
●==========●
●==========●
●==========●
●==========●
●==========●
●==========●
●==========●
●●●●●●●●●●●●

I think this will work (not sure; if three stone is on one stone stockpile square do the extra two get hauled away?).

So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Tarrasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2007, 10:33:00 am »

It would probrably be better to make that sort of a stockpile inside of a room and leave the front part open. Make the room the exact size of a maxed out farm plus one tile on the side closest to the room openning. That will put all the stones near the door and ready for easy removal. I see the benefit of this since you can rinse and repeat the storage of the stones and never have to worry about movement. That is a rather genius way of doing the stone removal if you have the people to move the stones.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2007, 01:49:00 pm »

I seem to remember you can do this trick with channels as well.  It requires babysitting though, as you need to cancel the channel after the rocks are moved but before the digging is finished.

0x517A5D

Tarrasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2007, 02:58:00 pm »

Yeah, I said that trick about channels earlier. I have a couple places where I forgot to babysit my channels heh. I really wish you could remove those sobs.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2007, 03:30:00 pm »

My solution is usually traps, traps, and more traps, but of course that doesn't fit everyone's style of play.

My mason clears away a fair amount of stone too, by the time he's finished building all the tables and chairs and statues and coffins and roughly a billion doors.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2007, 04:27:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by 0x517A5D:
<STRONG>It requires babysitting though</STRONG>

...and is thus will sometimes result in really hard to remove channels.

quote:
<STRONG>I have a couple places where I forgot to babysit my channels heh. I really wish you could remove those sobs.</STRONG>

Read. The. Wiki.

So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Tarrasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2007, 05:32:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Savok:
<STRONG>

Read. The. Wiki.</STRONG>

I meant a real way to remove the channels jackass. I already know about the cave-in method, but, that does not help when the god damn channels are in the middle of one of my most travelled through areas now does it? Try being less of an ass.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2008, 01:01:00 pm »

It flies in the face of physics, but you can just use 'i' to set a garbage dump zone and mark all your stones for dumping in a small, predetermined location.

As much as I consider it somewhat of an 'exploit', it doesn't truly offer any advantage aside from an aesthetic one, so it's really just a matter of the player's personal choice. I do it because I'm OCD enough to let the sight of loose piles of rock all over my fortress drive me insane.

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2008, 01:06:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Dullard:
<STRONG>It flies in the face of physics, but you can just use 'i' to set a garbage dump zone and mark all your stones for dumping in a small, predetermined location.

As much as I consider it somewhat of an 'exploit', it doesn't truly offer any advantage aside from an aesthetic one, so it's really just a matter of the player's personal choice. I do it because I'm OCD enough to let the sight of loose piles of rock all over my fortress drive me insane.</STRONG>

I dump them next to my mason and craftdwarf's workshop.  Just need to reclaim them later.

t''s so sad.  It''s as if De Beers as invaded Dwarf Fortress.  I nearly cried when I saw how valued and rare diamonds were in Dwarf Fortress.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2008, 01:52:00 pm »

I dump them, too. All of them.
Takes fucking forever. We really need a dump designation, Of course, being as how that isn't really the intended use of dumping, a dump designation will probably be a while. Still, loose stone everywhere pisses me off.

Stormlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2008, 10:38:00 am »

It only bothers me if it's in someplace thats supposed to be cool, like my tomb, or the quarters of my military leader. If you have 30+ dwarves just set about 10 of them to be masons and have them make statues or blocks, spamming shops wherever you have stone so you don't need to haul it everywhere. Blocks can be used to make walls or bridges or roads, and statues can be used to make a rather imposing wall around the entire map. (Although they don't stop arrows, so don't use them for defenses.) Anyways, even at no name level, 10 masons will out produce a legendary mason like crazy. The only potential issue is if you have really tight corridors/stairwells they might spend too long tripping over each other, but thats an issue with 30+ dwarves anyways.

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2008, 09:22:00 am »

another approach is of course to limit your fort size though efficient production planning. You don't really need all that stockpilespace if you produce on demand.

No furniture stockpile is really needed. If I dig out X nr of rooms I place the orders for X beds, X closets, X+n doors, X/m statues, and whatnot. I place the orders at the same time as I do the digging designation. meaning they will get done about simultaniously.

crafts are placed in bins and transported outside next to the Depot, and food is produced when needed.

Many of the forts I see on the map archive have huge rooms used mainly to store the products made to get rid of the stone produced when digging out the rooms. not to mention food stockpiles big enough to support the entire population for a few hundred years.

Efficiency reduces this problem as it creates less stone to begin with, and also means you have more haulers ready to do the dumping. Siege operators use up enourmous amounts of stone, and say 5 catapults set to not accept legendaries will strenghten your haulers.

and thn you can always use above ground constructions. if big enough you'll find yourself quarrying.

WingDing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2008, 09:46:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Dullard:
<STRONG>It flies in the face of physics, but you can just use 'i' to set a garbage dump zone and mark all your stones for dumping in a small, predetermined location.

As much as I consider it somewhat of an 'exploit', it doesn't truly offer any advantage aside from an aesthetic one, so it's really just a matter of the player's personal choice. I do it because I'm OCD enough to let the sight of loose piles of rock all over my fortress drive me insane.</STRONG>

This topic was made back in the 2D version when dumping didn't exist yet.
Don't you people ever read the dates of posts?

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2008, 11:06:00 am »

I dump everything from the dining room and the bedrooms onto a single tile, and I just leave the loose stone in the hallways or whatever for masons and craftsdwarves to clean up.

The only time I use stockpiles are if I have obsidian or some special color of stone I want preserved for a special purpose, I have it moved into a room with a workshop and keep the door locked until I need it.

edit: Nevermind. Can we stop necroing 10 month old topics please?

[ June 11, 2008: Message edited by: Solara ]

Pages: 1 [2]