Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why does my dwarves constantly pen/pasture animals  (Read 1245 times)

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why does my dwarves constantly pen/pasture animals
« on: July 18, 2015, 01:49:09 pm »

Hi all!

Why does my dwarves constantly "pen/pasture animals"?

Save file -- https://www.dropbox.com/s/125irx3wfdbmo44/region1.zip?dl=0 (Z-0 level, pasture around the lake)

Thanks in advance.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why does my dwarves constantly pen/pasture animals
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 01:51:59 pm »

Sometimes mine do that when I've accidentally assigned an animal to more than one pasture, or to a cage or restraint and a pasture.

And of course, if the pasture is not enclosed (in a room, or with a wall around it), the animals will simply run away from it when startled.

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 02:00:34 pm »

Sometimes mine do that when I've accidentally assigned an animal to more than one pasture, or to a cage or restraint and a pasture.
Nope

And of course, if the pasture is not enclosed (in a room, or with a wall around it), the animals will simply run away from it when startled
Nope

Can you look at the save file, please?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 03:00:36 pm »

The pasture is interrupted by the lake. Animals that want to move from one half of the pasture to the other have to step outside to walk around the water, which lines up a re-pasture job (the job isn't cancelled if the animal returns to the pasture by itself). Extend the pasture to include the tiles at the northern edge of the lake.

You can compare a pasture to a job burrow - animals will only take "graze here" or "walk to this place" "jobs" within the area, but aren't confined to _paths_ within it to get to their target (and will freely leave if combat/panic/greeting a trainer/avoiding overcrowding provides an overriding motivation).