Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wimps of the mountains  (Read 1978 times)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wimps of the mountains
« on: March 22, 2008, 08:00:00 pm »

A child wandering the hills in the county bumped into a kobold, and both started running towards the loggers (it's not clear who was more afraid).  No problem, I figured -- just draft one of those loggers.

First off, the logger dropped his axe.  Why?  I guess he wanted a challenge.

It took a while for the logger to catch up, but he did.  Then he lost.  To the kobold.

Grendal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://none
Re: Wimps of the mountains
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 08:07:00 pm »

Thats a pretty epic death. You should give him a platinum coffin. That, or let him rot in the rubbish heap. I'm not sure which is more fitting.
Is this joy I feel?

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 08:29:00 pm »

He dropped the axe because he was set to fight unarmed ("v"->"p"->"s" or something like that).

Death at the hands of a kobold is truly the mark of a great dwarf. I say you should place his body in a small chamber at the bottom of the mountain and use a support to drop the entire column of rock above him onto his corpse.

True dwarven burial. =)

Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 09:34:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by grelphy:
<STRONG>He dropped the axe because he was set to fight unarmed ("v"->"p"->"s" or something like that).</STRONG>

Right; he wasn't a woodcutter from birth, so he dropped it when he got drafted, unlike woodcutters-from-birth, who fight with the axe (which I guess needs to be reported).

As with the rest of you, I wasn't sure of proper burial for this event.  I ended up just giving him a slate coffin.

[ March 22, 2008: Message edited by: benoit.hudson ]

gerkinzola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 09:40:00 pm »

set his corpse to be dumped inside a little glass chamber near you meeting hall so all dwarfs can see his rotting body.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 09:50:00 pm »

Apparently the rest of my fort is hard-core.  16 axegoblins and a speargoblin leader vs. my rag-tag army of wrestlers with a few training weapons, mostly in leather armor, and a trio of novice marksdwarves with bone bolts?  Three of the enemy went home, one of my dwarves got a light-grey spine wound (I needed more marksdwarves anyway).

Perhaps I should note that I lost 7 guard raccoons, though.  That makes me sad.

[ March 22, 2008: Message edited by: benoit.hudson ]

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 12:07:00 am »

I had a proficient woodcutter go down after having her throat ripped out by a zombie raccoon.  I put a serious undead clensing project into action after that.  My other woodcutter on the other hand wandered near to the cave lake and was attacked by a crocodile and got both of his legs broken, He brained the crocodile, so far 1-0, a dwarf comes to save him and is decked by a pair of snakemen.  drawing upon all of his Military prowess my crippled woodcutter crawls over to them and takes heads, literally, score 2-1, 3 more dwarves come to get the free gear the first good soul left, 2 olmen, 2 lizardmen and a snake man, 2 dwarves go down for good after severe maulings and the other bolts after his hand gets broken.  1 Lizardman goes down in the confusion.
 Finding yet another burst of strength the woodcutter crawls up and proceeds to headbutt ass in a big way, limbs and lower bodys fly all over the place.
 End result dwarf losses 3, cave critters 8 all done by a woodcutter who now has a platinum walled tomb and the best damn bedroom Ive ever built.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 01:50:00 am »

I just remember when I had a farmer KILLED IN HIS SLEEP by a normal RACCOON!  They're not only thieves, they're assassins...
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 01:57:00 am »

I didn't choose to have guard raccoons just because they're cute and furry.

[ March 23, 2008: Message edited by: benoit.hudson ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 10:38:00 am »

Amazing how much difference a single letter can make...

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 12:46:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Amazing how much difference a single letter can make...</STRONG>

They were cute and furry at first.  Then the goblins came, and they became cut and furry.

Benitosimies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Something really needs to be done about ice. At the moment it's like some kind of Pitch Black threat where everyone dies at sunset. Feel free to substitute that film reference with one without Vin Diesel.
--Skizelo

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 11:21:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by benoit.hudson:
<STRONG>They were cute and furry at first.  Then the goblins came, and they became cut and furry.</STRONG>
You mean cut and fury?
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster