Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: The Flock: Game with limited distribution  (Read 7773 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

This kind of makes sense to me. It's like a temporary installation; its main value is in its limited lifespan and how that makes it unique. Though in the name of archival, I would appreciate if after the whole thing is done they release the game and server software so that the gameplay can be preserved.

Nah man, gotta go buddhist with it.  Close the servers and delete the source code.
Shoes...

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile

My opinion:

What about the guy who dies first. I mean, they're only going to /just/ be learning the game. And then dead. Unless there's a single player portion of the game and you only get one multiplayer life, it'd kinda be a bit BS.

Read the first reply to the thread, or almost any post after that. You get as many lives as you want, but they're going to stop selling the game after a certain amount of deaths.

New Guy, you might want to add something to the OP saying it's based on a misunderstanding of the game.

Oh. Damnit, apologies. I've been following the thread, apparently I wasn't reading right XD

I'll keep that in mind, seeing as I didn't read the entailed thing in detail :P

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

They're looking for a different kind of player, a different kind of investment, and the meaning they're focusing on is meta rather than narrative.

The meta being "buy now while supplies last"?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

No, it's about the community.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile

While the game itself doesn't interest me, it might be interesting to see what sort of actions players take in the few final days. When asked what people would do if a meteor was going to hit earth, they often reply somewhat jokingly, something that amounts to "Get really drunk and go raping and pillaging."

Whether they'd actually do this is something else entirely. But in a computer game, there really won't be any consequences. There's no reason to level grind, collect loot or go on quests, for it'll all be for nothing in a few days time after the game closes.

Will it end up as an endless stream of nudie runs, hat parties and smack talk? It's not as though a ban will be a problem.

Will people even bother to play in the last few days, even if the end event is amazing? We do have other things to do with our lives.

I think that's probably the "artistic" or "social experiment" side of this. Whether it'll be entertaining or not is beside the point. Which is why I won't buy it, but I'll check this thread near game-close.
It's a game. Have fun.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That could be interesting to observe, but I get the feeling the whole point is to not put in any levels, loot, quests, clothes, hats, or the like, because they want to do just the multiplayer (which still takes effort to get right) and the gameplay, and the ending video and so forth.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile

I can't imagine ever paying for such a thing.   :P  I'm sure somebody will.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile

This sounds really asinine
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

The OP is still wrong, by the way.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile

Yes, yes. I am aware.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]