Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ghoul Oven  (Read 2761 times)

Benitosimies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ghoul Oven
« on: March 22, 2008, 02:27:00 pm »

If I have a 5x5 chamber above magma and I put steel grates in it, can I use it to cook captive trolls? I could probably engineer drawbridges to go get their stuff or something if its also too hot for dwarves.
Something really needs to be done about ice. At the moment it's like some kind of Pitch Black threat where everyone dies at sunset. Feel free to substitute that film reference with one without Vin Diesel.
--Skizelo

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ghoul Oven
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 02:34:00 pm »

I think you need to make the magma actually touch the trolls (or the cages they are in) to kill them with it..
I guess you would also need a cooling system (water + magma = obsidian) so you can reuse the room ^^

hheey... That sounded fun   :D termination-room of doom with a magmafilling-mechanism for killing, and watercooling ^^

edit:
oooh, or make the floor into a brigde or something, so you can place a cage in the room, then drop it into the lava

[ March 22, 2008: Message edited by: uberubert ]

Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 02:38:00 pm »

If you attached the grates to a lever (or threw a retracting bridge in the middle of the room), you could drop it in the lava, but no, the thing you're thinking of wouldn't really work.

Also, you can't build cages on bridges, so you'd have to wait for the trolls to walk over it.

[ March 22, 2008: Message edited by: Untelligent ]

The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Benitosimies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 03:06:00 pm »

Frag, so the only way to fry hordes of bohabs is to dunk them directly in lava?

Can't I start fires?

Something really needs to be done about ice. At the moment it's like some kind of Pitch Black threat where everyone dies at sunset. Feel free to substitute that film reference with one without Vin Diesel.
--Skizelo

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 03:11:00 pm »

give them dragon breath  tag but not the fire immune one and see what happens (be sure to remove it when done so they don't pwn your dwarves)
The great game of Warlocks!

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 03:48:00 pm »

code:

#################
#      %%       #
#      ##.%%    #
#TTTTTT#####.%% #
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
#################

# wall
% pump
T grated room with trolls
. floor(needed for marga pumping)
~ magma

have fun with your new bbq!

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 03:52:00 pm »

I don't think you can build grates like that. According to the wiki (i've never tried myself), they have to be attached to solid ground, so you can't have grates covering an entire room's floor unless one or both dimensions are a 2 or smaller. So a 2x2 room, or a 2x10 room. I assume bars work the same way.
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

Benitosimies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 04:03:00 pm »

Asehujiko: That's more like a Lava Shower but that's still awesome!

brainfire: Yeah, I know. But I'm just getting general ideas here.

--Skizelo

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 04:26:00 pm »

Would fire spread diagonally across z-levels?

Side view:

code:

w
!!----

Would the wooden cage (!!), in a magma-filled channel, first turn to a !!!!!!, then make the wooden w turn to !!w!!?

Just trying to figure out how to start a fire.

I guess an "easier" way would be to put a fire imp across a fortification from the trolls room.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 07:29:00 pm »

I know you're trying to roast the Trolls, but what would also be cool is to make a carbonite chamber.

First start filling it with water; then, before it's high enough to drown the trolls, pour magma over it. Poof! Han Solo.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 07:42:00 pm »

Dwarves,tonight,we eat!
Just carve out the troll fat,I hear that stuff is a bit poisonous.

Benitosimies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 09:42:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by GRead:
<STRONG>I know you're trying to roast the Trolls, but what would also be cool is to make a carbonite chamber.

First start filling it with water; then, before it's high enough to drown the trolls, pour magma over it. Poof! Han Solo.</STRONG>

Yeah, maybe that'd steam them to death.

My first fortress is almost done, my next one will be right at a volcano so I can have Fun With Magma.

--Skizelo

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 10:29:00 pm »

Steam doesn't seem to do much nowadays.  I had a mishap involving an aquifer and some magma forges.  The furnace operators didn't seem to mind at all being steamed.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 10:46:00 pm »

the carbonite is the best because - you can tunnel for their stuff and get obsidian.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 11:25:00 pm »

I remember when steam was an instant death trap.  Ironically, it probably wouldn't be too much of a problem to make it deadly again now, since we can just pump magma everywhere anyway...  it was more of an issue in 2D mode when traps were more limited and it made it too easy to make a death-area.

In fact, I suspect making it deadly now would make things slightly harder for players overall, rather than easier (because when players have lava meet water, they're probably going to be trying to do something else, and the steam will kill their dwarves.)

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One
Pages: [1] 2