Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 31

Author Topic: Mission 23: Thing that Goes Bump in the Night  (Read 53718 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Mission 23: Thing that Goes Bump in the Night
« Reply #375 on: October 24, 2015, 10:45:52 am »

If we IC know that shit is going to hit the fan soon with amps, research for and use the shipping company to buy an abandoned space port, and the biggest non amp using cargo ships that the budget will allow, send the cargo ships to dock in the abandoned space port, and get construction workers working on getting the port back into working order (without the use of amp related tools). If the sons have contact with a planet that has lost control of amps before us, get one of those contacts on that planet to say he knows my shipping persona, and that s/he was the one that gave advanced notice of amps going fubar
There aren't really any abandoned space ports but we can get you ships without amps. They're very old style and smaller though, with quite large engines.  Unfortunately they're also only loadable in orbit because they can't handle getting off the planet. 

So what we'll do is we'll buy up a majority of those ships and order a few from elsewhere, along with enough surface to orbit craft to service them. This should essentially make you the only shipping company available when the bad day goes down.

Attempt to do some not-technically-tinkering on a datapad. The SPACELAW will live!

EDIT: Do NOT get possessed by an alien god.
You know what, that's a bad idea and I have a better one. The spacegod is the "Lurker in the Angles", right? Well, he just left those angles, meaning that they are rife for someone to sneak into them and steal all it's power!
Use my Lurking power that I got from russian roulette to Lurk into the angles formerly occupied by the Lurker in the Angles.

Do crazy action above.
Go get in the limbo thread then.

I'm sure they'll be surprised.

Any reason the existing pistols that other people have wouldn't fill this need?

I got the impression that the mauler pistols really weren't designed for stealth. I guess I was wrong?

Also, how many people has Gus had to shoot? He's a civilian with no prior combat experience or (legitimate) criminal record, so these numbers matter to him.

As I continue doing my job, continue to imagine the patients as cattle. Gus would rather not contemplate the ethics of any of this.

Still do this.
Stick a silencer on em and they're alright.

Shooting? None. I assume the cold feeters have been being given a doc style syringe to the neck of powerful narcotics  and left to od somewhere out of the way. Thats a lot less suspicious than someone getting executed with mauler rounds.

Continue recruitment drive/surgerizing. Really not much else to do; It's why I'm here.

Maybe see if my head feels funny when the wave of Origin Funk hits us.

Only if you've got an amp in there.

I'll need help from teammates and the Sons to do these things. Also, anyone have any non-insane ideas on a) making the best use of a major societal shift and the inevitable chaos, and b) alternative space transportation possibilities?

Order any shipments currently en route to the spaceports, or at them, to be removed and placed in storage at a distance. Don't use the term "at a distance" though. Make it circumspect that we are moving away from the ports, so we don't look like we have foreknowledge of catastrophe.

How many can we store in stasis on planet? Also, identify and locate any non-amp using spaceship we can acquire or get shipping rights on. If necessary, we'll continue to risk amp using ones.

Establish a security branch of our corporation and hire candidates who will be reliable as essentially a private army. Do so circumspectly. Locate an out of the way safe place, preferably a large building or complex, in which we can bunker down and bring in captives for storage during the crazy times.

Contact Steve or Milno if possible and find out if we have any ships nearby that are capable of transporting our cargo and also able to land unrecognized for loading. Perhaps we can get some shipments direct shipped if the UWM is in enough chaos on this colony to miss a reasonably sized ship in the confusion.
Also, ask what to do about the space magic in our party.

Spoiler: team space magic (click to show/hide)

Re: taking advantage of the chaos. If we needed bodies fast, we could create an organized crime body snatching unit, or, again, work with the police as they quell riots. as is, though, we are at peak load for our capacity. This shouldn't directly affect the lower stacks, but the upper stacks will be in chaos, and the entire economy is about to fall apart, which means riots, shortages, and potential political chaos.

If we IC know that shit is going to hit the fan soon with amps, research for and use the shipping company to buy an abandoned space port, and the biggest non amp using cargo ships that the budget will allow, send the cargo ships to dock in the abandoned space port, and get construction workers working on getting the port back into working order (without the use of amp related tools). If the sons have contact with a planet that has lost control of amps before us, get one of those contacts on that planet to say he knows my shipping persona, and that s/he was the one that gave advanced notice of amps going fubar
There is no such thing currently as an abandoned space port.

The son laughs. " We wouldn't set up our own dock or anything that insanely expensive. The docks are government made and the ships are all owned by massive multi world corporations. The ships all make predetermined trips and the stuff gets passed to different ships at ports all over the place. All we do is buy the rights to cargo space and put stuff in it. The thing which makes a company more or less prestigious is having more space or more connections to different ship companies. Us buying a dock and running our own ships out of it would be like Buying a city and a fleet of cars just to deliver pizza.

Attempt to do some not-technically-tinkering on a datapad. The SPACELAW will live!

EDIT: Do NOT get possessed by an alien god.
You know what, that's a bad idea and I have a better one. The spacegod is the "Lurker in the Angles", right? Well, he just left those angles, meaning that they are rife for someone to sneak into them and steal all it's power!
Use my Lurking power that I got from russian roulette to Lurk into the angles formerly occupied by the Lurker in the Angles.

Do crazy action above.
You ... you WANT the universe to implode, don't you? You're not going to steal it's power, it brought it's power with it. It'll eat you.
Removing and storing.
We can store as many as we need, or at least as many as we have pods for. We'll rent out some extra space. It would be dangerous ordinarily, but with the coming chaos I doubt anyone will notice.

Now, what are we looking for in quality here? hoodlum mob or paramilitary organization?

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 24, 2015, 11:16:55 am »

Have the sons set me up with a contact on one of the worlds that had it's amps go haywire first, and have him be willing to say he's a business partner/friend of mine, and gave me a heads up on what was about to happen with amps
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 24, 2015, 08:16:14 pm »

Well done, Vincent. I must say I am surprised at how much you were able to get there. Let's capitalize on becoming the major shipping company on this planet, also. I see a potential rise to great power on this world happening now, if we play our hand right. You did quite well.

1)On Xael: What do we notice about her, when she goes into limbo? Is she catatonic? insane? dangerous? If she is displaying alarming signs, perform amp removal surgery. I assume, since we know about the falling skies, we know enough to be wary of the amps themselves.

In regard to Gus' worry about shooting people: Dester will do any syringe to the neck ODs that are necessary. He won't like it, but he will do it.

In regard to Ryan's head: he does have an amp in there
team space magic is as follows: Skylar: MFM 3 token brain. (Vincent: balaclava?) Ryan: Microwave Psychokinetic Amp. Xael Microwave Psychokinetic amp. Jesse: Kinamp

2)In regards to quality of security, we are looking for paramilitary, police, and reliable organized criminals, not undisciplined gangsters. We want people who will be reliable and loyal to a suddenly powerful organization. Steer toward the legal sources mainly. However, it would be good to get a group from the underworld who has connections to our more illegal people shipping operations to maintain security on that front. Keep these groups separate.

3)begin promoting our services as a shipping company to the government and wealthy companies. make it look like a natural outgrowth of our recent growth as a business, and advertise for the kind of contracts non amp ships would have taken before the fall, so as to appear that we were just in the right place at the right time when shit went down. Once chaos happens, we cna start bargaining for better. Reserve oh, %20 of our capacity for our own shipping needs. Buy up non-amped ships from the nearest worlds if they are available also.

Suggestions on teammates Actions:
Vincent should continue to take the lead on the shipping end. Gus might need to take a stronger role in security, as his two partners may both be coming down with amp sickness or extraplaner insanity syndrome, Petra should lead with the organization of the compound, and will help suppress her teammates if necessary.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 24, 2015, 09:32:56 pm »

Some permutation of self may remain here. Consider this possibility.

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 24, 2015, 10:32:10 pm »

Continue to fulfill my guard duties to the best of my ability- yes, that includes shooting people if need be. You gotta do what you gotta do. Spend spare time as I always do: watching TV, disturbing others while they're trying to watch TV, and drawing crude diagrams of even cruder inventions.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 24, 2015, 11:11:38 pm »

"Yeah, it'll put us in a power, but that'll put a LOT of attention on our shipping company, and as a result, a lot of attention on myself. I hope I'll be able to construct a lie that'll hold up to that level of atteniont, People will be interested as to why we suddenly switched to non amp shipping."
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 24, 2015, 11:18:06 pm »

the story is: We are an up and coming import / export business, and we wanted some independance from the large shipping companies so that we might expand our business. We therefore purchased what at this time is the cheapest available option - non-amp ships and real estate. And then, shit happened that put us in position to use what we have to expand. If need be, we can ultimately disappear you off planet, or do some cosmetic surgery so you look otherwise. As a last resort, of course. For now, let's play the hand we were dealth to the best of our ability.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 25, 2015, 03:19:07 am »

"Im thinking the best explaination would be if one of my "contacts" aka one of the son's contacts from a planet hit before ours is, tips me off about amps going haywire, and I saw this as an oportunity to advance my company forward. Self centered drive for profit is more believable than dumb luck, wouldn't you say?"

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 25, 2015, 06:14:21 am »

perhaps. go with it. I just hope you don't get called before a military tribunal for it.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 25, 2015, 12:50:06 pm »

"We'll see, I doubt they would do that just for not informing anybody, but like you said, there is always plastic surgery and new identities" Vincent ended his sentence with a smirk.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 25, 2015, 12:55:45 pm »

Do the job assigned by [Ozark].
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 25, 2015, 06:30:54 pm »

Recruit, Surgerize, Rinse, Repeat.

I do have an amp in my head. I have used it a grand total of... Once? I think, and that was on the Haebi planet to blow me open a hole through flesh to get some head(s into stasis).

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #387 on: October 27, 2015, 11:58:57 am »

Have the sons set me up with a contact on one of the worlds that had it's amps go haywire first, and have him be willing to say he's a business partner/friend of mine, and gave me a heads up on what was about to happen with amps
The purpose of this action confuses me and seems to be somehow logically impossible or at least inconsistent.

Some permutation of self may remain here. Consider this possibility.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LlI9hio_Do

Continue to fulfill my guard duties to the best of my ability- yes, that includes shooting people if need be. You gotta do what you gotta do. Spend spare time as I always do: watching TV, disturbing others while they're trying to watch TV, and drawing crude diagrams of even cruder inventions.

Even cruder inventions?

Some sort of dildo chainsaw that shouts racial epithets?

Huh.

Recruit, Surgerize, Rinse, Repeat.

I do have an amp in my head. I have used it a grand total of... Once? I think, and that was on the Haebi planet to blow me open a hole through flesh to get some head(s into stasis).

Well then you would feel kinda odd right about.....now.

Well done, Vincent. I must say I am surprised at how much you were able to get there. Let's capitalize on becoming the major shipping company on this planet, also. I see a potential rise to great power on this world happening now, if we play our hand right. You did quite well.

1)On Xael: What do we notice about her, when she goes into limbo? Is she catatonic? insane? dangerous? If she is displaying alarming signs, perform amp removal surgery. I assume, since we know about the falling skies, we know enough to be wary of the amps themselves.

In regard to Gus' worry about shooting people: Dester will do any syringe to the neck ODs that are necessary. He won't like it, but he will do it.

In regard to Ryan's head: he does have an amp in there
team space magic is as follows: Skylar: MFM 3 token brain. (Vincent: balaclava?) Ryan: Microwave Psychokinetic Amp. Xael Microwave Psychokinetic amp. Jesse: Kinamp

2)In regards to quality of security, we are looking for paramilitary, police, and reliable organized criminals, not undisciplined gangsters. We want people who will be reliable and loyal to a suddenly powerful organization. Steer toward the legal sources mainly. However, it would be good to get a group from the underworld who has connections to our more illegal people shipping operations to maintain security on that front. Keep these groups separate.

3)begin promoting our services as a shipping company to the government and wealthy companies. make it look like a natural outgrowth of our recent growth as a business, and advertise for the kind of contracts non amp ships would have taken before the fall, so as to appear that we were just in the right place at the right time when shit went down. Once chaos happens, we cna start bargaining for better. Reserve oh, %20 of our capacity for our own shipping needs. Buy up non-amped ships from the nearest worlds if they are available also.

Suggestions on teammates Actions:
Vincent should continue to take the lead on the shipping end. Gus might need to take a stronger role in security, as his two partners may both be coming down with amp sickness or extraplaner insanity syndrome, Petra should lead with the organization of the compound, and will help suppress her teammates if necessary.

1. She is non-existant. She is no longer here. She is gone. Vamoosed. Peaced out, skedaddled and vanished entirely. Reduced to vapor, disappeared into thin air, been spirited away and dissolved into the shadows. She is one gone cat.

Alright.

Well thats fine. Those with stuff in their head will feel the change but as long as you don't do anything with it, nothing will happen.

2)Alright. Those are harder to get hold of, but we can do it. What we're gonna do is basically hire all the best mercs we can get hold of that don't mind being kept on guard duty/retainer.  They should work well and not have any major problems with questionable ethics and legality.

3) The good news is that, now that the amp shit has hit and everyone is going nuts, you're in a great position to profit and worm your way into positions of power. In fact, so great that you are now being absolutely fucking flooded with people wanting to use your service, give you favors, get in your good graces and, most dangerous, trying to somehow wrestle control of those ships away from you/perform a hostile take over. No one has done any serious questioning of your strange acquisition of a bunch of these low tech ships just before this amp shit hit, but you're gonna have to make your shipping business look like it's actually raking in the success and wealth realistically; keeping it on the middle floors in a few small buildings is gonna be iffy as hell when, by rights, even the janitor should be a billionaire.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 27, 2015, 02:18:00 pm »

The purpose of this action confuses me and seems to be somehow logically impossible or at least inconsistent.
I was setting up a believable lie as to why we knew shit would hit the fan

1. Contact any off planet corporation that deals with prisoner populations, use charisma skills (per company) and newly gained monopoly to get the 10 best prices on a per prisoner basis.

2. Contact anyone on planet that deals with prisoners, and convince them to ship said prisoners off planet (before it wasnt as important, but now it is important to earn a significant profit off of this, so if the people on planet are asking for too much per prisoner, do not accept offer).

3. Hire more staff, and upgrade company offices (and locations) to reflect our new wealth (nothing that would significantly impact our profit however), and buy more amp free ships while they are still cheap

Have Petra write articles and opinion pieces to help convince the population that A: Now that things have gone crazy, we really shouldnt be keeping prisoners on this planet, and B: Wonder if the amps not working has something to do with the cult. (Sorry for taking a bit of a boss role this time Oz, right now Vincent needs to set up business, and with the extra attention on him, writing pieces to manipulate the media would be risky, and we stil need to sway public opinion on the
ultand the on world prison population)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 06:31:41 pm by Kedly »

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 27, 2015, 03:32:38 pm »

Maybe we should get an office in the upper stacks? It's a logical step for a thriving organization.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 31