Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 31

Author Topic: Mission 23: Thing that Goes Bump in the Night  (Read 53783 times)

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 23: Thing that Goes Bump in the Night
« Reply #255 on: September 09, 2015, 06:46:15 pm »

Go with Vincent. Try to listen in on any speaking, verbal tics in the language and such. Also look at the menu.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 12, 2015, 08:34:13 pm »

Reestablish visual contact, smoke fuckers with mind.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 12, 2015, 11:28:51 pm »

"Say son, you think if we ended up setting some kind of construction project up here at delta that we could sneak in some weapons and get them hidden during construction? If the worst happens then having another place to stock up, or a backup plan here would be nice."

Ask the Son if we can manage to move a small cache of weapons into delta by disguising the shipment as some kind of construction work there.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #258 on: September 15, 2015, 02:05:35 pm »

Ryan nods and sighs.

He asks the Son here,
"Parole... Yes. When's the soonest I can meet one or two of them in person, out of whatever passes for jail here? And where's, say, the nearest medical school in the mid to lower levels?"

He then directs towards Dester,
"Well, I suppose it'll be an honor working with you, Dester. As much as I miss actual surgery, I think I'm going to become... Quite tired of it quite soon, and I know I don't want to be stuck here the rest of my days performing the same surgery on everyone.

Anyway, I suppose it's time to do some serious information gathering."

Join Dester's plan of "off-duty" time at Alpha. Even though there really is no "off-duty". And we have an allowance, yeah? Pick up some local whatever-passes-for-newspapers and scour the news for information on the criminal world or civil unrest - maybe we can play an asylum route.

...On that note, should I even bother with the organ-harvesting bit? What's the long-term funding like?

"I'm not sure off the top of my head, I don't track such things. But I can look into it."

You head back up to alpha. Seems to be getting late juding by the fact that many of the stores are closing. Head into one shop to buy a newspaper and find that the only ones they're selling are in a language you don't understand. Wonderful.

As per organ sales,  I don't think it would really be worth it. Steve is essentially making you money out of thin air by manipulating bank accounts so getting the odd few thousand dollars here and there isn't worth the risk unless you want to use that sale to build ties to the underworld.

We don't have a TV in beta. It's a warehouse. No cable.
I knew that.
mealtimes and sleeptime and off duty time is to be spent at Alpha, or in the Strip around Alpha. No point sleeping on the floor of a warehouse. While at Alpha, watch local news and political gossip channels, eat in the restaurant, and occasionally visit other stores and do light shopping (provided I can get some walking around money from the Sons). Otherwise, continue with the plan. Await developments. Be ready for eventual time skip.

An honor? It will certainly be an experience. Here's to a profitable enterprise and interesting times. Hopefully mostly interesting for the other guys, as the New Chinese used to say.
((Gentlefish, PW has already mentioned that wireless communications in the stacks are pretty much nonexistent over any significant distance. If we are in the same building, they will probably function, otherwise, they need a land line connection.))
You head back to alpha, steal some food from the kitchen of the restaurant it has as its front, and then sit down to watch tv. The sons have selected a rather nice recliner and large flat screen for this place. Admittedly they're just kinda sitting there in an empty room with nothing around them, but whatever, the finer points of home decoration can come later.

The news you get here is, well there are several stations. The "Local" news, ie the one that seems to be made somewhere around here, is in a language you don't speak, subtitled in 3 languages you don't speak. Hm. You click through several more channels till you find one that does have a language you understand It seems to be a news broadcast from higher up the stack. It is unfortunately very banal and mostly fluff pieces. The only things of note that you learn are that crime is apparently slowly decreasing, there's tension among "Foreigners" from the newest batch of temporary immigration, and that there's increasing food shortages in the lower stack.

Whatcha wanna buy, exactly?

"Thank you for the help. Should I head back here or to Beta when I'm done? After the son responds, head out and find a restaurant nearby, but not right next to the warehouse. Once there look at the menu
Go with Vincent. Try to listen in on any speaking, verbal tics in the language and such. Also look at the menu.
"Head back to alpha." *Assuming thats the one in the strip*

You both head back down the street until you find a restaurant that appears to be both busy enough to see a lot of people, but also with open seats.  The name of the place appears to be gibberish: it's written in fancy text and you can only make out a "La" at the front and a "shibasho" at the end. You've got no goddamn clue what they serve. Luckily they have a menu framed out front.  Even then you don't recognize half of it, a lot of names and dishes that you've never heard of. They don't sound half bad, judging from what you can understand, but they're very expensive. You wonder, idly, how much money is on this card.

You get a table for two, near the back, and order two of the most understandable thing, which you're pretty sure is a sandwich of some variety. As you wait for it to come, you listen to the speech patterns. There seems to be a common thread of Hyperbole and flowery speech. Almost as though they're all trying to one up each other both in terms of their stories and the words they use to tell them.

Reestablish visual contact, smoke fuckers with mind.
You walk back out into the hall and find that reestablishing visual contact is gonna be difficult. Mostly because of all the fire and smoke blocking your vision of anything.

Huh...might have over done it there...

"Say son, you think if we ended up setting some kind of construction project up here at delta that we could sneak in some weapons and get them hidden during construction? If the worst happens then having another place to stock up, or a backup plan here would be nice."

Ask the Son if we can manage to move a small cache of weapons into delta by disguising the shipment as some kind of construction work there.
"We can just mail them there, As long as we're talking a box full, not a chest full or truck full."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 15, 2015, 02:37:12 pm »

"..."
Xeal facepalms.
"Why am I so dumb? I really didn't need to do that."

That will... probably fix itself. Retreat and go back to doing what I came here to do in the first place.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 15, 2015, 03:29:10 pm »

Shopping list: a few local outfits, some snacks and other food, the local beer equivalent, a plush toy. The plushiest. With six limbs and three big fuzzy eyeballs. Other bits of local flavor, like spices for food, or sports memorabilia, or a t-shirt with a TV show picture on front.

Continue to await results / reports from the others. Enjoy the recliner to the MAX. Watch cartoons. Preferab ly ones without horse dicks (or any other male sexual appendage) prominently featured.

Hmm, crime is lowering. Might need to reverse that trend. Might need to get some of our more violent contacts to stir up some trouble. Maybe those immigrants, they seem rowdy. The food shortage will work in our favor. Exporting people to an experimental 'farming' world might be a lofty goal which will garner sympathy. Of course, being experimental, failure will not be a huge surprise, and if some kind of inquiry is later proposed, well, there' always orbital bombardment.

"..."
Xeal facepalms.

That will... probably fix itself. Retreat and go back to doing what I came here to do in the first place.
wut? Are you heading back to Beta, or are you retreating to wait for the smoke to clear?

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 16, 2015, 03:28:01 pm »

Ryan sighs at the newspaper he picked up.

((Can we assume I grabbed the thickest paper? I was planning on getting one regardless of language.))

He looks briefly down at his wristpad, then back up at Dester.

"I... Forgot we had languages." He motions at the paper before setting it aside.

"And we won't have to worry about harvesting anything. The Big Man has enough dosh to throw around that he can pay anyone we hire on. NOthing good on TV?"

Look for translation software. Failing finding any on what accounts for the internet here, set it aside for now. Otherwise, join Dester on his shopping spree. Pick up something nice. Maybe a small pet. Check out a nearby pet store, if there is one. See if they have anything intelligent or low-maintenance.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 16, 2015, 04:14:09 pm »

Well, crime is dropping, immigration is uneasy, and the lower class don't get enough. Sounds remarkably ... normal. We might be able to exploit the latter two situations, but we're gonna probably have to reverse the first trend sooner or later.

To be honest, I 'm actually surprised all of us on ship can understand each other. I'm sure we come from diverse ethnic, cultural, and linguistic backgrounds, what with being collected from dozens of worlds over hundreds of years.

As for interesting shows ... well, I watch television to shut my brain off, so I couldn't say if it's any good or not, really.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 16, 2015, 06:54:26 pm »

While continuing to wait for food, notice if I can pinpoint a common accent

(Has any conclusion been reached on whether the colour of our text indicates which accent we are speaking in?)
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #264 on: September 17, 2015, 12:15:17 pm »

"..."
Xeal facepalms.

I second Ozarck's confusion, since there's nothing back the way you came other then a long hall and a train station. You literally tried this at the first intersection you came to.

Shopping list: a few local outfits, some snacks and other food, the local beer equivalent, a plush toy. The plushiest. With six limbs and three big fuzzy eyeballs. Other bits of local flavor, like spices for food, or sports memorabilia, or a t-shirt with a TV show picture on front.

Continue to await results / reports from the others. Enjoy the recliner to the MAX. Watch cartoons. Preferab ly ones without horse dicks (or any other male sexual appendage) prominently featured.

Hmm, crime is lowering. Might need to reverse that trend. Might need to get some of our more violent contacts to stir up some trouble. Maybe those immigrants, they seem rowdy. The food shortage will work in our favor. Exporting people to an experimental 'farming' world might be a lofty goal which will garner sympathy. Of course, being experimental, failure will not be a huge surprise, and if some kind of inquiry is later proposed, well, there' always orbital bombardment.

"..."
Xeal facepalms.

wut? Are you heading back to Beta, or are you retreating to wait for the smoke to clear?
a few local outfits
Got it

some snacks and other food
Can do. 

the local beer equivalent
They have beer, but it's just not very good because it's heavily synthetic. Does the trick though.

a plush toy. The plushiest. With six limbs and three big fuzzy eyeballs.
I can do the plush toy but the specifics might be hard to find.

Other bits of local flavor, like spices for food, or sports memorabilia, or a t-shirt with a TV show picture on front.
You grab a few glass bottles of random spices, 10 foil wrapped packs of what you think are trading cards, a t-shirt with some sort of smiling duck thing on it, and another that literally just has a big CRT tv on it with the words "WATHCING FRIEND I LOVE HE" written on it.

Cartoons eh? And not the fucked up kind? Fine. Try this.

Ryan sighs at the newspaper he picked up.

((Can we assume I grabbed the thickest paper? I was planning on getting one regardless of language.))

He looks briefly down at his wristpad, then back up at Dester.

"I... Forgot we had languages." He motions at the paper before setting it aside.

"And we won't have to worry about harvesting anything. The Big Man has enough dosh to throw around that he can pay anyone we hire on. NOthing good on TV?"

Look for translation software. Failing finding any on what accounts for the internet here, set it aside for now. Otherwise, join Dester on his shopping spree. Pick up something nice. Maybe a small pet. Check out a nearby pet store, if there is one. See if they have anything intelligent or low-maintenance.
Sure we can.

How good of translation are we talking here? Like free babel fish or paid person online translation?

Hmm well in terms of pets around here you can find a few things, but...well what do you mean low-maintenance? Like a cat, where you just have to feed/water them and clean their liter box? Or like a snake where you stick them in a glass box and feed them occasionally?

While continuing to wait for food, notice if I can pinpoint a common accent

(Has any conclusion been reached on whether the colour of our text indicates which accent we are speaking in?)

Well, steve's color is an accent, but it I won't force it to represent one if you don't want it to.

As per common accent, there doesn't seem to be one, thought there is a sort of predilection to speak in a lilting manner, lots of shifting from high to low tones.

Your food comes. It looks...well it looks like a sandwich. You can't really identify the contents, but they don't look bad.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 17, 2015, 02:09:05 pm »

a plush toy. The plushiest. With six limbs and three big fuzzy eyeballs.
I can do the plush toy but the specifics might be hard to find.

the specifics were an example and not meant to be definitive. (Especially since these are mostly 'kill time' actions to show I'm still about doing not much while my pot boils [pot here meaning the plans we set in motion that I have to wait for. I am not boiling marijuana].)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 17, 2015, 03:47:33 pm »

Become relevant again.

((Would anyone be willing to give me a tl;dr on the last several pages? I got out of the habit of checking ER, and now I'm pretty far behind. I'll get around to actually reading them at some point, but I'd like to start doing things again sooner than that.))

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 17, 2015, 05:34:35 pm »

Ask the Son to have some weapons mailed here, and get them hidden away before preparing to return to the main base.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 17, 2015, 05:57:54 pm »

Become relevant again.

((Would anyone be willing to give me a tl;dr on the last several pages? I got out of the habit of checking ER, and now I'm pretty far behind. I'll get around to actually reading them at some point, but I'd like to start doing things again sooner than that.))
Spoiler: where everyone is (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: the current plan is: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: future plans (click to show/hide)

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 17, 2015, 06:25:30 pm »

Eat the sandwich, pay if I haven't already, and head out and take a quick look at our current surroundings
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 31