Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 31

Author Topic: Mission 23: Thing that Goes Bump in the Night  (Read 53888 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 23: Thing that Goes Bump in the Night
« Reply #120 on: August 08, 2015, 03:17:51 pm »

Ryan sucks on his teeth for a moment.

"Anyone here familiar with the pantheon on-ship? We could create a 'mercy' clinic in the name of one of the Gods, one that would aid us here... The limb collector, maybe? Take the poor and hungry and disabled and... Well, any life must be better than the life here, yeah?" he says with a small chuckle.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 08, 2015, 03:25:48 pm »

Dester nods at Ryan.

"That's part of what i was thinking, but lower in the stacks, where things are worse for people all around. After all, this area seems relatively fine. I'm sure most around here would reuse. Though some might come along. Although, I'd say we should use some local deities, or some common to the UWM, and not just HMRC, or we could go secular. Oh, we could both generate drug traffic, and create drug rehabilitation clinics. No reason to stick with one strategy."

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 08, 2015, 10:34:28 pm »

"I'm all for the helping out friendly gangs, and taking rival gang members as bodies, and I'm also down for the prison route, I severely against the orphanage route however. If we nab bodies from the weak and the disempowered, then fine. But l was assured we wouldn't go after kids"
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 09, 2015, 12:02:54 am »

Ryan looks over at (KEDLY) and shrugs. "I mean, whatever we're going to do to them, I'm sure it's better than whatever they've got to do here."

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 09, 2015, 01:05:31 am »

Gus frowns. "Kids're just easy, that's all. But using gangs makes sense too."

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 09, 2015, 04:09:56 am »

Vincent looks over at Ryan and stares blankly "You don't  seriously believe that do you? Testing alien artifacts and weapons on them sounds like a better life than living in a slum? Anyways, if we are going to go the easy route, there are plenty of other options other than children"
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 09, 2015, 06:39:02 am »

"I agree with Vincent. Besides, there are probably plenty of people like him that would notice children going missing."
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 09, 2015, 07:31:01 am »

"okay, so we should likely explore our relationships with local gangs for a bit, and explore the options regarding prisons and mental institutes and the like. Let's table the orphanage and abortion clinic ideas for now. They are merely options. Options I, too, do not like.

Similarly, I suggest, even working with the gangs, that we don't make big waves with them and suggest gang warfare, but enhance our economic links instead. We'll need to use some discretion there. Gang life is very volatile, and we don't want pulled down with them, should they fall, or fall out. So a level of separation between us and them would be good.

What do you guys say to this plan of action: Expand connections with certain gangs, connect with the illegal emigration world, explore the options concerning prisons, halfway houses, mental institutions, and simple raids on the criminal depths, and create false front of businesses targeting day labor? I think it's a good start, and of course can easily be modified or dropped any time. Additionally, I suggest we keep in mind options for relocating to a completely different section of the stacks if things go south around here."

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 09, 2015, 01:23:14 pm »

"Sounds like a good starting point to me"

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 10, 2015, 04:06:55 am »

All good ideas, if a little targeted. However, I think we should avoid involving ourselves or our operations directly. Avoid leaving our 'influence', so to speak. Aggressive motions will offend someone, passive ones are less likely to attract attention. We need to remember that this needs to be self-sustaining after we leave, and that it has no hope of succeeding in a timely manner if we try to oversee everything ourselves. Part of that is going to need to be achieved by some built-in risk mitigation, making it so the failure of parts can't chain to the failure of the whole.

To this end, I'd say that we start by setting up several businesses. Some medical, some gang related, some more mundane, but a variety, ideally with minimal ties to us. Just normal businesses that we can exert some control over. We can then use these as a means of collection. Keep the rate of each businesses intake somewhat random, to avoid drawing suspicion. Set up enough, and we'll have a steady supply that's difficult to trace. If they pin down one business, it ideally won't lead to the other companies, or to the central operation.

We just can't afford to be selective. The wider the breadth of targets, the less likely any one of them will be able to figure out what's going on. We want to be written off as random chance. An extra .001 percent on crime statistics. Barely worth mentioning. If we target something, we won't be that. We'll be a problem for someone. We can't afford to be someone's problem. We need to be somebody *else's* problem.

He turns to address the Sons.
How capable are we of doing that? Setting up mostly autonomous businesses? We also need to know the shipping requirements. Do you have the equipment here at Alpha to show us what needs to be done to prepare a shipment? From fresh acquisition to shipping container? Oh... you mentioned guarded maintenance crews, for the lower levels? Who sends those out, who guards them, and do we know what their loss rate is? And... I'm a little concerned, what rumors are there about ground level? Should we be worried about something from the depths demolishing a stack?

Talktalktalk

((Also, a brief question for PW. How are the facilities laid out relative to the stacks? Cause your descriptions are conflicting in my brain.
(there were going to be pictures, but my system is refusing to upload right now) ))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2015, 11:00:27 am »

"Sound good to me, boss."

(( I believe it is like this, if this is what you are asking:
Delta is a large personal storage container nearest to the top of the stack,
Alpha is a restaurant with a warehouse behind it in a "strip" (15 story set of stores, offices, and homes) in the "upper lower" class area (top tier of poor).
Beta is the one in the lower, quieter office complex, and is a warehouse.
Gamma is in the lowest region and is in an abandoned building.

Alpha and beta are hundreds of feet apart in elevation. All are supposedly in the mid to low end of the stacks, which are kilometers high))
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 01:27:09 pm by Ozarck »

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 11, 2015, 09:32:17 am »

"That sounds like a reasonable plan of attack"

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 11, 2015, 12:52:52 pm »

"Works for me."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #133 on: August 11, 2015, 06:44:02 pm »

"Hm. Hey, Sons, any suggestions?" Speak to the Sons.
"You'll have to be more specific."

"You are all talking to us at the same time so it is hard to follow the conversation."

"They warned us about this."

"How armed are people here? Would you expect criminals to have gauss or laser weapons? How about police?"
Speak
"That will vary depending on individual and area. Gauss, laser, even plasma and higher weapons are theoretically available and often legal, but are costly, especially to a civilian. Police forces are quite varied as well. Assume they have easier access to armaments at the very least."

"We could give you a total inventory of all assets and goods."

"If you told us how you intend to carry out your actions, we could provide information."

"Or we could suggest how to proceed if you are unsure."

"Or we could give generalized information, if that would help."

"We've been instructed to allow you the freedom to conduct this operation via your own methods."

say to the sons:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: To the team (click to show/hide)

Inspect the headquarters, making note of office areas, medical supplies, and any stasis pods or other people shipping devices.
"We would need men more then anything for something of that nature. Employees to handle the fronts would be the biggest difficulty, the funding to do it wouldn't be a problem."

"Specifically a long goat or any anti-ballistic garment?"

"We have a wide variety of medical equipment, including a surgical area. For Stasis modifications."

All good ideas, if a little targeted. However, I think we should avoid involving ourselves or our operations directly. Avoid leaving our 'influence', so to speak. Aggressive motions will offend someone, passive ones are less likely to attract attention. We need to remember that this needs to be self-sustaining after we leave, and that it has no hope of succeeding in a timely manner if we try to oversee everything ourselves. Part of that is going to need to be achieved by some built-in risk mitigation, making it so the failure of parts can't chain to the failure of the whole.

To this end, I'd say that we start by setting up several businesses. Some medical, some gang related, some more mundane, but a variety, ideally with minimal ties to us. Just normal businesses that we can exert some control over. We can then use these as a means of collection. Keep the rate of each businesses intake somewhat random, to avoid drawing suspicion. Set up enough, and we'll have a steady supply that's difficult to trace. If they pin down one business, it ideally won't lead to the other companies, or to the central operation.

We just can't afford to be selective. The wider the breadth of targets, the less likely any one of them will be able to figure out what's going on. We want to be written off as random chance. An extra .001 percent on crime statistics. Barely worth mentioning. If we target something, we won't be that. We'll be a problem for someone. We can't afford to be someone's problem. We need to be somebody *else's* problem.

He turns to address the Sons.
How capable are we of doing that? Setting up mostly autonomous businesses? We also need to know the shipping requirements. Do you have the equipment here at Alpha to show us what needs to be done to prepare a shipment? From fresh acquisition to shipping container? Oh... you mentioned guarded maintenance crews, for the lower levels? Who sends those out, who guards them, and do we know what their loss rate is? And... I'm a little concerned, what rumors are there about ground level? Should we be worried about something from the depths demolishing a stack?

Talktalktalk

((Also, a brief question for PW. How are the facilities laid out relative to the stacks? Cause your descriptions are conflicting in my brain.
(there were going to be pictures, but my system is refusing to upload right now) ))

"Businesses should not be a problem."

"Our expense budget is such that we can easily create many small businesses and keep them afloat even if the profits are meager or non-existant."

"We will need a great many people to work them, however."

"And men to run them who will accept questionable orders from a voice on the phone, so to speak."

"And we can show you the equipment for processing. It is located in Beta; still packaged. We brought it there since large shipments of materials and boxes moving in and out of that area will attract no attention."

"And I would not worry about the possibility of a stack falling. The ground floor is utterly lawless and very dangerous, but its inhabitants are still men. Cannibals, murders, fugitives, blood cults, but none so foolish as to bring the stack down on their own head. Nor any with that ability."

What specifically are you confused about?  Alpha is where you are, at about the middle of the stack, beta below us, but not by far. Gamma is an abandoned building quite low in the stack and Delta is Up in what might be considered the middle class area.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 11, 2015, 07:50:05 pm »

(( Everything is in the same stack, then?

The confusion is coming from this line earlier, combined with more recent descriptions of the locations.
"They are spread over several hundred horizontal miles, but are relatively similar in vertical orientation."
Which led me to believe that they were in different stacks, at roughly the same height. Just trying to make sure I know which one is correct XD

Or do I just *grossly* underestimate the size of a 'stack'

Edit: my uplink is working today, so here's that image I drew to try and figure out how it was setup. ))
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 08:47:00 pm by Kriellya »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 31