Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31

Author Topic: Mission 23: Thing that Goes Bump in the Night  (Read 53717 times)

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 23: Thing that Goes Bump in the Night
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2015, 03:44:41 pm »

"Terrorist? Save humanity from itself? The supervillainy backstory just writes itself here. Nice to meet you, Jesse. I'd shake your hand, but as a rule I try not to touch naked men. How'd you come to join up? Was your planet destroyed by a horrible virus or something?"

"I still dunno what I did wrong. Guess I was in the wrong building at the wrong time?"

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2015, 03:58:52 pm »

"Nothing like that. ARM helped liberate Q'Baja from UWM tyranny, and shortly after that started taking in some recruits from the world so I decided I might as well join up since I hit things for a living anyway. Why not hit them for something more than a meal, and some drugs you know? Anyway, my family had immigrated to the world a while back so it wasn't exactly like I fit in that well there to begin with."
"Oh. I guess that makes sense. Jesse, was it?"

"I still dunno what I did wrong. Guess I was in the wrong building at the wrong time?"
"Gus, right? Again, I'd shake, but you're naked."
Petra glances at Jesse. "I don't even know for sure why I'm here. Something related to my grandfather. As for following orders, I can do that well enough, provided that they are not completely stupid and likely to blow our cover and get us all killed."
"...
We're all innocent. It's like a cosmic joke. You'd figure the crazies and the criminals would be ideal for this mission, but we're all just ... lost."

Dester gets a sour look on his face, and falls silent, scowling at nothing.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2015, 05:38:47 pm »

"The crazies can't be discreet."
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2015, 06:02:34 pm »

As Vincent starts putting on some clothes he speaks up "For all those worried about being branded terrorists, I plan on going after scum, we ARE in a world with a hellishly high crime rate, and we all know the UWM police won't be protecting their weak, nor will the elite. If we do it this way we can easily get 50,000 bodies, no one will care they are gone, and we will be doing some immediate help, however limited, to those worth saving on this planet. 3 birds with one stone" Vincent looks over to Skylar "How does that plan sound to you boss?"
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 08:52:06 pm by Kedly »
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2015, 06:52:54 pm »

Alright, Steve. What have the Sons already setup for us, and what is the general tech level on this planet? What will the police have, what do the criminals have, what does the populous have? Hm... for that matter, how organized is crime here?
Questions for Steve

Skylar waits while the others talk.
For this mission, we're just criminals here. More stable criminals than most the UWM sent us, but that's how we may want to appear. No mention of ARM, Steve, or exactly what we're doing once we're on the ground, please. What's been setup for us and what this planet uses will affect what our game plan is. Though I'll probably bring a pallet full of cameras, given their usefulness to us in the past...

As for our targets, well, that depends on the situation. I appreciate the idea of removing criminals, but practicality will have to win out, and that will depend on the situation the Sons have made for us. The police might not care immediately, but any gangs might if we're taking their members or threatening their territory. And if we stir up the gangs, *then* the police will care if they don't know what we're doing.
There's not a lot of specifics we can plan before we know what the Sons have been up to. If they've setup an organization, we'll want to do things a lot differently than if they have some contacts and equipment.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 23: Thing wot Goes Bump in the Night
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2015, 07:06:28 pm »

"I'd rather not take unnecessary risks. Random civilians will be fine, and they won't be missed, either."
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 07:52:23 pm by Egan_BW »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2015, 07:23:52 pm »

Having been Ryan's third time out of a pod, he expels the goo from his lungs and stretches silently.

"Fifty thousand? And we're taking them whole, not harvesting their organs? What's a medic like me here for, then?"

ASK the above.

Listening to everyone talk about whom they're going to abduct, Ryan pipes up, "I can't imagine we want to take anyone high-profile. Not doctors, lawyers if they still exist, or big businessmen. I'd love to know that we're only taking UWM supporters, but with such a large volume of people being needed that might not be practical.

We need to take burger flippers, factory workers, and other hard-labor-type folks. Strictly blue collar professionals and homeless people."
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 10:25:13 pm by Gentlefish »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2015, 07:53:19 pm »

"I'm going have to agree with Mr. Black Hair, or whatever his name is on this. We should target criminals, druggies, and the smaller gangs rather than picking random people or homeless men off the street. Sure they're far more likely to have guns to point at us, but no one's going to care when we take them away as long as we avoid the larger gangs or syndicates. And not to brag, but I've been told I'm the spitting image of your typical street thug quite often so it shouldn't be to hard to approach some of them as potential buyers or gang recruits.

At least that's me speaking from experience, for any real plans you lot of geniuses should work on that. Trying to come up with plans gives me headaches."

After Jesse finished speaking he finally realized something, isn't it really cold? He could have sworn he was standing with the others waiting for the mission to start fully dressed in that piece of crap that passes for a space suit in ARM,

'What was that thing called again? MC Hammer? McDonalds? Eh, whatever. Surely there are some clothes somewhere around here ...'

With that Jesse begins rummaging around near his pod to don some clothes before something important freezes off.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2015, 08:45:26 pm »

"Overcrowding breeds more random violence than organized crime. Sex traffickers tend to be less organized than in the movies, relying on drugs and intimidation to keep their whores in check. Gangs can be co-opted. The slave trade works best when the powerful natives think they have something to gain. They will turn on each other in a heartbeat, for a price. But do we have the goods for that approach? Hell, play it right, and we could establish a series of private prisons, mental institutions, and homeless shelters, and draw from those, all while receiving kickbacks from the government or pay per housed inmate."

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2015, 08:50:03 pm »

"If we do a bit of research before we start nabbing thugs, we could space out the body grabs distance wise and make them look like enemy gangs are doing the snatching, possibly make it look drug related. In fact, targeting drug labs would allow us to snatch large amounts of bodies at a time. I'm sure drug wars happen all the time. I understand we are doing this for a reason, and the quicker we can do it the better, but going after lower and maybe even medium level thugs wouldn't take that much extra work." After Listening to Dester, Vincent responds "I like that idea, alouth it may be too risky, out of our means to pull off, but it just proves that with a little thought we can pull this off without shitting on the weak any more than the UWM already shits on them. If we do it this way, we also won't have to be as worried about our cover being blown down the line, our allies wouldn't think any less of us if they knew we targeted criminals if word acidentially got out about what happened"
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 08:56:36 pm by Kedly »
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2015, 01:54:24 am »

Gus has a rare epiphany.

"What about orphans? I'm sure this planet has lots of 'em, bein' so crime-heavy. At that age, they aren't gonna be in the gangs yet, an' they can't really fight back."

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2015, 02:35:15 am »

" I guess we'll know our target better once we're down there.

Ask Steve
"How many people are on this world? how big are the cities? just how crowded is 'highly overcrowded?'

How big an organization can we expect to work with down there?

What kind of resources are immediately at our disposal, such as transportation, shelter, buildings for storage and other uses, weaponry, wealth, and contacts?

What kind of personal gear are we being assigned?

Are we basically designing the plan, implementing it, and training the locals to continue it?

You mentioned a sustainable supply: will this include breeding? If so, wouldn't donors from the Sword have been able to supply sperm and eggs for new children?

How carefully are children watched in general, and how large a vagrant population is there?

Sorry if I ask too many questions."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2015, 12:35:01 pm »

"It was mentioned that we would be equipped on-site. Is that going to come later?"
Ask above
>It will happen on-site. You're not on site yet.

Alright, Steve. What have the Sons already setup for us, and what is the general tech level on this planet? What will the police have, what do the criminals have, what does the populous have? Hm... for that matter, how organized is crime here?
Questions for Steve

Skylar waits while the others talk.
For this mission, we're just criminals here. More stable criminals than most the UWM sent us, but that's how we may want to appear. No mention of ARM, Steve, or exactly what we're doing once we're on the ground, please. What's been setup for us and what this planet uses will affect what our game plan is. Though I'll probably bring a pallet full of cameras, given their usefulness to us in the past...

As for our targets, well, that depends on the situation. I appreciate the idea of removing criminals, but practicality will have to win out, and that will depend on the situation the Sons have made for us. The police might not care immediately, but any gangs might if we're taking their members or threatening their territory. And if we stir up the gangs, *then* the police will care if they don't know what we're doing.
There's not a lot of specifics we can plan before we know what the Sons have been up to. If they've setup an organization, we'll want to do things a lot differently than if they have some contacts and equipment.

>The Son should have set up a good secret base of operations and secured lines of funding and materials, as well as contacts and potential escape routes if needed. The tech level of the planet is high but unevenly distributed. The wealthy will have quite high level stuff, and the environment has high level systems but lower and deeper level habitats will have cheaper, older or less reliable tech. Be careful about waving around high tech things in low level areas. Not because of breaking cover, but because you might get mugged.  The criminals should have a variety of armaments. Expect both explosive weapons like black powder guns as well as gauss, rail, laser, and kinetic force guns, depending on who you come up against. We can't rule out chemical or biological weapons either.  The population will have mostly lower power weapons, if anything, but the police will be well armed and armored to deal with crime. Expect civic defender level loadouts on even beat cops, and higher tech on more specialized agents. Organized crime is ubiquitous, powerful, ruthless and extremely violent.

Having been Ryan's third time out of a pod, he expels the goo from his lungs and stretches silently.

"Fifty thousand? And we're taking them whole, not harvesting their organs? What's a medic like me here for, then?"

ASK the above.

Listening to everyone talk about whom they're going to abduct, Ryan pipes up, "I can't imagine we want to take anyone high-profile. Not doctors, lawyers if they still exist, or big businessmen. I'd love to know that we're only taking UWM supporters, but with such a large volume of people being needed that might not be practical.

We need to take burger flippers, factory workers, and other hard-labor-type folks. Strictly blue collar professionals and homeless people."

>The medic will no doubt have several uses, but one of the major ones will be prepping the cargo for jump travel via stasis. Long term stasis and jump travel require modifications to the body, including vents and ports installed on the torso to allow stasis fluid to suffuse into the body cavity. Not to mention the possibility of helping injured teammates, stabilizing damaged cargo, the use and administration of drugs, etc.

" I guess we'll know our target better once we're down there.

Ask Steve
"How many people are on this world? how big are the cities? just how crowded is 'highly overcrowded?'

How big an organization can we expect to work with down there?

What kind of resources are immediately at our disposal, such as transportation, shelter, buildings for storage and other uses, weaponry, wealth, and contacts?

What kind of personal gear are we being assigned?

Are we basically designing the plan, implementing it, and training the locals to continue it?

You mentioned a sustainable supply: will this include breeding? If so, wouldn't donors from the Sword have been able to supply sperm and eggs for new children?

How carefully are children watched in general, and how large a vagrant population is there?

Sorry if I ask too many questions."

>Have you ever heard of Kowloon? Imagine that, but several hundred stories tall and spread for hundreds of miles in every direction. There are more people living here on a single vertical slice a block wide then there are people on many planets.It is quite dense.
>There are 5 sons on location, but you will probably only speak to one or two at a time. Their networks should be fairly large by now, however.
>You'll have to see. I don't keep in contact with the Sons, for the purposes of keeping them secret.
>See above
>I need 50,000 test subjects. I don't care how you get them. Do whatever you need.
>Lack of genetic diversity.
>Depends on the individual, but there is a large population of homeless, and that includes child gangs.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2015, 12:38:56 pm »

Petra has no other questions, and is ready to go.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2015, 02:51:02 pm »

"I guess I have nothing more to say until we are at site"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31