Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 33

Author Topic: Mission 21: Uncanny Valley  (Read 50195 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 21: Uncanny Valley
« Reply #405 on: October 08, 2015, 03:13:45 pm »

"Well, I say center. At one point there were golden threads. Then at another I was looking through the eyes of every human at the same time. And then, for just a moment, I was a god."

"I was also using xenospit at the time, so make of that what you will."

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: October 08, 2015, 03:21:31 pm »

With just corner of his eye, Maurice intently watches Pancaek as he speaks about the planet and godhood, saying nothing.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 03:23:56 pm by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: October 08, 2015, 03:24:38 pm »

Hasala stared at the glowing aurora for as long as he could, ignoring Ulrich's outburst and the responses to it, and then turned to Maurice once forced to look away.
"Permission to investigate the new anomaly? If I recall correctly, the anomalies on Hephaestus were created in a similar manner, and produced useful materials. We might be able to salvage something from this mission yet, and I'm practically useless in terms of technology, so I wouldn't be much use here, anyway."

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: October 08, 2015, 03:27:08 pm »

"I mean, yeah, I probably could have used that moment to gain immense powers. But at the time I was just really miffed that some xeno bullshit was ruining my free time, so I just kind of plucked the knowledge of what was causing it out of the universe and left it at that. I am not a clever man. Never even so much of a thank you for finding out the cause. Didn't even get my free time back. It's not like I was planning to do anything, but it's the spirit of the thing that counts, you know?"

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 08, 2015, 04:22:48 pm »

"Permission granted. Good idea; but be extremely careful and wait for now. The main blast might yet come."
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 04:35:24 pm by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: October 08, 2015, 04:44:23 pm »

Stick nead out of hatch to establish perimeter
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: October 08, 2015, 10:46:36 pm »

Lower strain on the shuttle as best I can while maintaining ability to escape, reroute energy from non-essential components and around damaged parts to maintain power
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: October 08, 2015, 11:58:59 pm »

Maurice turned away to face Ulrich. "Funny that, now that you mention it, my suit is also destroyed. Would you also say that I "conveniently" disposed of it and its recordings?" He grinned in his 'new' unkind way and stared Ulrich in the faceplate.

"And then, there were about a dozen cameras installed on your suit, I believe. Do you want to tell me that not one of them was facing where needed? Did I also install them on your suit in that particularly "convenient" way?"

He sighed and shook his head, looking far more peacefully again. "Must be combat stress talking in you; I won't hold it against you. From your actions on this mission I can clearly state that you are generally far more intelligent than it becomes to grasping at straws that way. No one could know the entity's attack would be so devastating as to kill Bartholomew... and I would very much rather it was me than Morul who was in there. At least, maybe I stood a better chance at containing it. And as you were the first to enter the room you know just as wellthat there was nothing that I could have interacted with to cause all of this: the weirdest things were the body and the writings, and, as you studied the latter, I didn't even get to check the body as... it all happened. Why and how it all happened is just as mystery to me as it is to anyone."

"If you insist on leaving the ARM, I can't say anything against it. After all, supposedly we are all free to go away at any point nowadays. However, you have my recommendations as a fine ARM member - maybe a little bit too cautious, but Sir Milno is also that way anyway - and, considering the growing conflict we are being drawn into, the ARM could use your skills and mind. Because one way or another the war - and the rampant xeno "shit" - is going to find you anywhere you go, eventually, but at least here you can make a difference. Do as you will, of course."
He turned back to observing the scene outside.

"Cameras? Oh, right, those cameras. I wasn't paying any attention to those. Guess you sciencey types will be perusing those records later."

"I can't afford to be reckless if I want to live long and prosper. Conflict will come, yes, but by the time it comes to my planet, I'm probably already too old for it."

"Well, I say center. At one point there were golden threads. Then at another I was looking through the eyes of every human at the same time. And then, for just a moment, I was a god."

"I was also using xenospit at the time, so make of that what you will."

"Xenospit? I see no mysteries here."
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: October 09, 2015, 08:55:46 am »

"Xenospit? I see no mysteries here."
"Normally, I'd say you were right. But then the giant pig eating the sword turned out to not be a hallucination, and the info I got turned out to be completely correct. All I'm saying is that you should give it a try. It'll broaden your horizons, show you that our place in the ARM isn't all that bad. I mean, we're surrounded by insanity and incompetence, sure. And let's not get into the fact that some ARM personnel are so absolutely disgusting that they would give me nightmares if I were a more normal person. But hey, at least we've got friends here, eh? And we get to stick it to the man, what's not to like?"

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: October 09, 2015, 10:22:21 am »

"My horizons have been boardened quite much already, thank you, and I don't like what I see there. If nothing else, I want answers. I mean, sure, even I can tell that it is bad if the thing which posessed Morul gets out of the anomaly. But trying to destroy entire planet just to stop it? What the hell is that all about? What does Steve know that makes him take such drastic measures? I smell secrets in the air. Either I quit or I get solid proof that ARM is worth of staying in."
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: October 09, 2015, 12:02:20 pm »

"My horizons have been boardened quite much already, thank you, and I don't like what I see there. If nothing else, I want answers. I mean, sure, even I can tell that it is bad if the thing which posessed Morul gets out of the anomaly. But trying to destroy entire planet just to stop it? What the hell is that all about? What does Steve know that makes him take such drastic measures? I smell secrets in the air. Either I quit or I get solid proof that ARM is worth of staying in."
"Oh man, you really shouldn't try to find the truth behind everything. Worrying like that will give you so much stress you'll get a heart attack or a brain embolism or something. Just relax and enjoy the ride without questioning everything, you'll feel better. There's too much bullshit going on to figure it all out anyway, so why bother?"

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: October 09, 2015, 12:14:45 pm »

"Oh man, you really shouldn't try to find the truth behind everything. Worrying like that will give you so much stress you'll get a heart attack or a brain embolism or something. Just relax and enjoy the ride without questioning everything, you'll feel better. There's too much bullshit going on to figure it all out anyway, so why bother?"

"Because I still have will and somewhat functional brain."
Old sigs.
Games.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: October 09, 2015, 12:21:26 pm »

"Answers, the truth?.. Well, I believe, on personal basis, it is possible to be given that much, if you have passed as trustworthy enough - and if you ask me, I think you might do, for better or worse - but that's up to the giver of information to decide. There are two such creatures in ARM, to my knowledge: Steve and the Doctor. You can try your luck with either."

He turned and smiled a little at Ulrich. With no helmet on his head, a few threads of silver in his hair flashed in the uneven light of the shuttle compartment as he did so.
"But, take this as a word of advice. If you want a merry quiet retirement, preferably with you peacefully dying of age, avoid seeking the info that will haunt you ever after. Ignorance is great medicine for living long, full and happy life, if you would believe my medical opinion. Well, sometimes shorter than otherwise, but you are already planning on a lucky retirement, so why not."
Past Sigs

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: October 09, 2015, 12:27:27 pm »

"Because I still have will and somewhat functional brain."
"Yo, you want to start a fight? I can't move my limbs but so help me god I'll get violent. I won't just have my exquisite brain insulted like this and take it lying down. Me and it have been through too much."

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: October 09, 2015, 12:31:34 pm »

"Answers, the truth?.. Well, I believe, on personal basis, it is possible to be given that much, if you have passed as trustworthy enough - and if you ask me, I think you might do, for better or worse - but that's up to the giver of information to decide. There are two such creatures in ARM, to my knowledge: Steve and the Doctor. You can try your luck with either."

He turned and smiled a little at Ulrich. With no helmet on his head, a few threads of silver in his hair flashed in the uneven light of the shuttle compartment as he did so.
"But, take this as a word of advice. If you want a merry quiet retirement, preferably with you peacefully dying of age, avoid seeking the info that will haunt you ever after. Ignorance is great medicine for living long, full and happy life, if you would believe my medical opinion. Well, sometimes shorter than otherwise, but you are already planning on a lucky retirement, so why not."

"Now I must question your medical opinion. How does ignorance help you when you are bleeding from arteries? Isn't the knowledge exactly what you need in such situation? With knowledge you can solve problems you face. Ignorance will only kill you."

((And now I have satisfied IC requirements to use the coupon. Except the payment for Miya.))

"Yo, you want to start a fight? I can't move my limbs but so help me god I'll get violent. I won't just have my exquisite brain insulted like this and take it lying down. Me and it have been through too much."

"Not at all. You are the veteran here, so I assume you have simply become accustomed to status quo. I'm new here, I can still question the normal practices."
Old sigs.
Games.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 33