Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 33

Author Topic: Mission 21: Uncanny Valley  (Read 50438 times)

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 21: Uncanny Valley
« Reply #240 on: September 01, 2015, 05:02:14 pm »

"*Sigh*, dunno why I thought that, alright [DorsiDwarf], you go with [Swordsmith], get to the roof and be careful, keep your eyes peeled at all times."

((I'm on Team I, flying above another building. My character also has a higher rank than yours. :P))
((GODDAMNIT I MEANT DOOMBLADE.
Hokay I'm editing.))
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 05:04:01 pm by Execute/Dumbo.exe »
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #241 on: September 02, 2015, 10:00:32 am »

Ulrich Leland. Team I. B21, second floor.
"They are gone. Completely gone. This is unsettling. But now we can proceed."

Eyes on thermals and panorama camera, partically focusing on front and sides. Move towards marked center of the dome in front of the group.

((Since the camera probably can record in thermal, I don't think Mad Hatter is lacking that functionality - although, indeed, common cameras don't offer thermal view.))

Excellent, we are drawing their attention. It means that we're close to ... something they want to protect, apparently. Hasala, carry on with the surveillance, see if there is a suitable point of entry along the way.

Team I, advance in order. Morul, take rear watch; Ulrich, the front and sides. Use thermal vision to confirm their positions.

Advance towards the center of anomaly. Be cautious about shortest way out of the building (through the walls, if needed) at any given time. Look out for more "people".

And can we have a map again, please?

Team II, from what I can see, you could advance upwards through the ceiling with a few cuts of Han's monomachete. From the roof you could establish an alternative observation point, and then extract the initial observers from below - as one of the ways you could do that. And by "no-man's land" I was meaning the no-go zone; if there is no other way, camera and equipment could be moved into the open area, from where they would be picked up from above - keeping the safe altitude, of course.

Quote from: Maurice -> Hasala
Oh, and one more thing... While you are at it, I want you to strafe that pile of people with your laser. Remember that they don't "die" even with heads lacking, but probably can be inconvenienced by dismemberment and/or lack of limbs. If doing it while observing them doesn't work, consider closing eyes or using a Mad Hatter snapshot instead of video feed. The "foundation" of the pile has nowhere to go, anyway.
Spare them not; this an order. I take full responsibility.
It's not like that "War Crimes Tribunal" Steve always talks about would spare me anyway. ...And not that I'm going to go before it either way.

This is simply too good an opportunity to pass and too big a threat to overlook because they might still be alive on the inside.

Why would you need a map? You haven't moved. One person collapsed the ground along the way to the dome center, two people ran into that side room, and everything else has stayed exactly the same, other than the fact that now, if you were to walk over to the hole you entered from, there would be statue people piled up near it.

Now that you are moving, basically nothing changes either. You're flying because theres no floor, but there are still rooms off to the right, theres still a wall to the left,and the room you're looking for is directly ahead of you, at the end of this hall.

Now, then, the room you're attempting to get into, a dorm room which appears to be at the exact center of the dome, is closed and locked. It isn't, however, externally barricaded or otherwise shut off in the kind of way you'd expect a room containing an alien time stop thing to be.  And considering the students apparently (if the reports from your room entering comrades are correct) had time to strip these nearby rooms for materials and to create all sorts of barricades, it doesn't seem like they left in a hurry. This doesn't bode well for this being the true source of the dome.

"Yes, messer-doctor."
Go with Team I. Keep in the middle.
I'm afraid you can not do that. See, they've split up. Maurice and Ulrich are flying over a collapsed hall, but you lack the ability to fly. Morul is still just hanging out in that other room, and you're with him.

And neither of you are watching the hall....Ah, but Aoshi is. Well, kind of.

The thing about cameras is: they're not continuous. 24 frames a second or there abouts. Thats not a lot of "Blind" time, but it's a bit. Luckily everyone has been nicely overlapping feeds. Usually.

Excellent, we are drawing their attention. It means that we're close to ... something they want to protect, apparently. Hasala, carry on with the surveillance, see if there is a suitable point of entry along the way.

Quote from: Maurice -> Hasala
Oh, and one more thing... While you are at it, I want you to strafe that pile of people with your laser. Remember that they don't "die" even with heads lacking, but probably can be inconvenienced by dismemberment and/or lack of limbs. If doing it while observing them doesn't work, consider closing eyes or using a Mad Hatter snapshot instead of video feed. The "foundation" of the pile has nowhere to go, anyway.
Spare them not; this an order. I take full responsibility.

Quote from: Hasala Nabin To: Maurice Sanctor
Is that really necessary? They won't be going anywhere as long as I continue watching them.

Continue hovering in place. Maybe fly a little higher, if I can't keep the entire building in view at once. Keep an eye on the ground, so none of the puppets outside can enter the building, especially the puppet tower. Use thermal vision, I might be able to lock down some of the puppets inside the building, too.

"*Sigh*, dunno why I thought that, alright [DorsiDwarf], you go with [Swordsmith], get to the roof and be careful, keep your eyes peeled at all times."

((I'm on Team I, flying above another building. My character also has a higher rank than yours. :P))
You keep focused on all of the ones outside. You notice, however, that they're still moving. Not very much, but they're there. Ticks, twitches, like stop motion video slowed way down. Thats not good.

((Damn, I was sure I was told by someone.
Oh, here:
((Correct.))
((Right then.))
"Just set up a watch, for the time being, just staring at them will make them about as lethal as puppies, so two of us can just stare at them, saying when we're gonna blink while the other guy or gal tunnels through this bloody barricade.
Or I wire it up with explosives, either or.
Anyone have heat vision so they can see inside of this place?"

"We can watch together, everyone else can dig, no explosives, also we have heat sensors in our suits."

That I can see; I want to know your current plan of action and whether you believe you can deal with the situation by yourselves.
"We will tunnel into the building then find open ground or a denfensible position until then we just need to hold them off."
))
"*Sigh*, dunno why I thought that, alright [DorsiDwarf], you go with [Doomblade], get to the roof and be careful, keep your eyes peeled at all times.
Anyway, yo, boss, seems the crowd has thinned a bit now, we're still keeping watch but uhhh... Look out for a big influx of frozen."

Keep in position, alternating blinks with Corsair, is Pancaek still in the group?
"HAN! you heard our glorious leader, hack us a path upward through the debris. Lucricia with me, watch the statues. Also I need someone to watch thermal find out where those statues went"

Quote from: @GloriousLeader
Cameras can be picked up soon the statues are moving away
Commands, watch statues attempt to track their movements with a parallel thermal feed. Is Captain Pancaek still with the statues or has he dissapeared?

Hard to tell. He's definitely got a distinct, giant, buff outline when he's alone, but when he's in a group or even just standing with someone, the heat signatures get muddled. You...don't think so though, none of the signatures are 7 feet all.
"HAN! you heard our glorious leader, hack us a path upward through the debris. Lucricia with me, watch the statues. Also I need someone to watch thermal find out where those statues went"

Quote from: @GloriousLeader
Cameras can be picked up soon the statues are moving away
Commands, watch statues attempt to track their movements with a parallel thermal feed
"... I literally just said that, do you have everyone else on mute or something.
I mean, I'm right here, next to you, watching them In parallel with you, I wouldn't be surprised if you can hear me through the suit.
Also I'm blinking my eyes are watering."

Oh right, PW, if you missed it, I'm chucking Doomblade's character my Aster-Ex, he's the Uncon focused one, right?
also keep watching.

Okie dokie. Make sure someone moves it in the wiki.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 02, 2015, 10:15:29 am »

Ulrich Leland. Team I.

Scan the room with cameyes. If nothing screams "MURDER" or "DANGER" then kick the door down. And still keeping eye on cameras.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 02, 2015, 11:04:50 am »

:They've started moving slightly even while being watched, albeit slowly and in bursts, like stop-motion. Either you're getting close, or we're running out of time.:

I'm out of excuses, so I guess it's time to start shooting at them with my laser rifle like an obedient little soldier. Slowly strafe the beam across the puppets at the base of the tower.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 02, 2015, 11:18:35 am »

((Lolwut? Piecewise, we didn't split up. Or at least intended to. Team I was to move ahead in cohesion, in full strength (save for Hasala, hovering outside). I even gave specific orders to how team members would be watching things over, mentioning almost everyone.

I mean, that's all in the post. I'm not even adding anything.

I might have underestimated the amount of collapsed floor, though, but hopefully transporting Morul could be implicitly assigned to one of us. And Bartolomew has a Mk III just as Ulrich or Maurice.

Also, could you please tell, was there a nice, direct line of sight (not relying on thermal vision) to Pancaek Team II could have been using (if they didn't go deeper into the building, for example), or not? The earlier map gave the impression there was one, but miscommunication is rampant, it appears. Mostly I want to know whether to yell for losing him, or not. :P ))
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 11:30:57 am by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Illgeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 02, 2015, 02:01:24 pm »

((Also, don't I have Mk III, and thus can fly?))

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 02, 2015, 05:31:05 pm »

Gimme a second here [Corsair] I need to turn around for a moment.
Oh god he's still here OI, [DOOMBLADE], YOU GO WITH [DORSIDWARF] AND HACK YOUR WAY UP TO THE ROOF oh wait a second [Corsair] I'm turning around to stare at them again if you can chuck them the camera equipment while I'm keeping watch that'd be aces."

Turn around while Corsair covers me and say stuff.
...Ohgodohgodohgod I hope they aren't turned into frozen already.
Alan help.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #247 on: September 02, 2015, 07:57:22 pm »

((Lolwut? Piecewise, we didn't split up. Or at least intended to. Team I was to move ahead in cohesion, in full strength (save for Hasala, hovering outside). I even gave specific orders to how team members would be watching things over, mentioning almost everyone.

I mean, that's all in the post. I'm not even adding anything.

I might have underestimated the amount of collapsed floor, though, but hopefully transporting Morul could be implicitly assigned to one of us. And Bartolomew has a Mk III just as Ulrich or Maurice.

Also, could you please tell, was there a nice, direct line of sight (not relying on thermal vision) to Pancaek Team II could have been using (if they didn't go deeper into the building, for example), or not? The earlier map gave the impression there was one, but miscommunication is rampant, it appears. Mostly I want to know whether to yell for losing him, or not. :P ))
Multiple problems here:
1. You didn't bold any of that. Your bold action was "Advance towards the center of anomaly. Be cautious about shortest way out of the building (through the walls, if needed) at any given time. Look out for more "people" Which you did. The shortest way out IS through a wall by the way. You put the rest in your speaking "voice" which, half the time, I don't even read if I'm in a rush. 

2. You saying "Come here" isn't the same as Morul actually taking an action. Unless he's given you control over his character, in which case it would need to be bolded.  So you said "Lets do this!" and you and the other guy did it, but morul, through inaction, decided not to go along.  If you want, we can retcon it back, but thats why. Simply talking about the plan and telling people their parts isn't the same as automatically puppeting them all into place.

And no, The problem was that they remade the barricade which made it hard for them to see. Even with thermal, you would have people walking around putting things back in place in the barricade. Their heat signitures would block the signitures of the people behind them, and the building people couldn't work and keep an eye on the signatures all at the same time.  Not their fault.

((Also, don't I have Mk III, and thus can fly?))
Not according to the wiki. Well...kinda.

Your wiki says you're wearing an MCP-I, but own both an MCP-I and a MK III.  I went with the option that will probably require you to catch up, rather then the one that might require a retcon.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 03, 2015, 07:18:31 am »

Oh god he's still here OI, [DOOMBLADE], YOU GO WITH [DORSIDWARF] AND HACK YOUR WAY UP TO THE ROOF oh wait a second [Corsair] I'm turning around to stare at them again if you can chuck them the camera equipment while I'm keeping watch that'd be aces."

"I don't quite follow your plan, and It doesn't solve any problems, we can't stay here until they come from somewhere and surprise us. Tactical Retreat ON MY SIGNAL!, Han! Cut a path through to the roof, do only the minimum to get there! Lucrica! with me in rear guard you're light so my suit can lift you easier if we need to run. Eddie! Middle-guard, watch the thermals for movement! Everyone MOVE ON MY SIGNAL ONLY!"
Give Commands, When/if the statues have mostly moved off and path is clear then signal tactical retreat. Remain out of exclusion zone of statues, if me/lucricia is in danger of being statued then use mk3-a overdrive to extricate ourselves and move to roof while avoiding the statues. People standing around being completely useless do what I say under threat of bodily harm. Use a parallel horizontal feed to   maintain view of statues if I need to turn away.
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 03, 2015, 07:24:45 am »

"Mmm, true, boss is gone and our only orders were to watch him.
Eh, whatever, might as well."

Follow the plan, I guess.
Alan help.

Illgeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 03, 2015, 08:11:05 am »

((Retcon? But I already flew on this mission.))

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 03, 2015, 09:21:23 am »

((@Piecewise Thank you for clarification. I'll be more careful in the future. And of course I don't want to puppeteer people, it's just that stasis paralysis happens - kisame's last action was a week ago.
I don't mind the occasional screw-up, it just saddens me when it happens because of miscommunication. Let's hope this 'catch up' action won't result in any more troubles.

@Illgeo Since he put MCP-I first of the two this time (despite Mk III in inventory cheatsheet being first, and having you fly before on this mission), I can only guess this time he checked "in-armor appearance" rather than (or in addition to) inventory proper. Would you update the description (and maybe move MCP-I elsewher in the inventory) yourself, or prefer a wiki gnome do it?))

Bartolomew, Morul, don't get behind! Bartolomew, grab Morul and fly over here, there is a gap in the floor too large for him to jump over.

Team II, status report. What is happening?

Wait for Bartolomew and Morul, then advance into the dorm after Ulrich if he says the coast is clear. Do not split up the party.
Look down the hall to confirm the clear flight path for Bartolomew.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #252 on: September 03, 2015, 11:48:01 am »

((Retcon? But I already flew on this mission.))
Retcon the particular action. I've not been keeping track of who has flying ability because a bunch of other people on the team have it and I figured if anyone doesn't, they're getting carried. But this was a more specific action so I had to check. 

Oh well. Someone Update wiki please.

Ulrich Leland. Team I.

Scan the room with cameyes. If nothing screams "MURDER" or "DANGER" then kick the door down. And still keeping eye on cameras.
Nothing screams much of anything honestly; it's ambient temp, no radiation, no vibration, no goddamn anything. You kick the door down and...well. The room is disheveled and horribly dirty. Someone has clearly been using the far corner as a toilet, there are books piled and scattered about, lots of loose paper covered in writing, a heaping pile of garbage with lots of packets of prepared food and water bottles in it, and even the walls have been scribbled on with markers. The bed, which is shoved into the corner farthest from the toilet corner,  contains a man, clearly quite dead for a long time. He's huddled, curled up under blankets, facing the wall. He's too far gone to tell what the cause of death was from a glance, but there's no sign of obvious trauma to him or the room. 

:They've started moving slightly even while being watched, albeit slowly and in bursts, like stop-motion. Either you're getting close, or we're running out of time.:

I'm out of excuses, so I guess it's time to start shooting at them with my laser rifle like an obedient little soldier. Slowly strafe the beam across the puppets at the base of the tower.
You shoot the puppets, as you call them. It appears to cut them, severing them apart, but the two halves don't separate and the pieces don't move.

Turn around while Corsair covers me and say stuff.
...Ohgodohgodohgod I hope they aren't turned into frozen already.

Dunno why you'd have to turn around to talk...but ok.

((@Piecewise Thank you for clarification. I'll be more careful in the future. And of course I don't want to puppeteer people, it's just that stasis paralysis happens - kisame's last action was a week ago.
I don't mind the occasional screw-up, it just saddens me when it happens because of miscommunication. Let's hope this 'catch up' action won't result in any more troubles.

@Illgeo Since he put MCP-I first of the two this time (despite Mk III in inventory cheatsheet being first, and having you fly before on this mission), I can only guess this time he checked "in-armor appearance" rather than (or in addition to) inventory proper. Would you update the description (and maybe move MCP-I elsewher in the inventory) yourself, or prefer a wiki gnome do it?))

Bartolomew, Morul, don't get behind! Bartolomew, grab Morul and fly over here, there is a gap in the floor too large for him to jump over.

Team II, status report. What is happening?

Wait for Bartolomew and Morul, then advance into the dorm after Ulrich if he says the coast is clear. Do not split up the party.
Look down the hall to confirm the clear flight path for Bartolomew.

We'll assume they follow you and get over to join you.

"I don't quite follow your plan, and It doesn't solve any problems, we can't stay here until they come from somewhere and surprise us. Tactical Retreat ON MY SIGNAL!, Han! Cut a path through to the roof, do only the minimum to get there! Lucrica! with me in rear guard you're light so my suit can lift you easier if we need to run. Eddie! Middle-guard, watch the thermals for movement! Everyone MOVE ON MY SIGNAL ONLY!"
Give Commands, When/if the statues have mostly moved off and path is clear then signal tactical retreat. Remain out of exclusion zone of statues, if me/lucricia is in danger of being statued then use mk3-a overdrive to extricate ourselves and move to roof while avoiding the statues. People standing around being completely useless do what I say under threat of bodily harm. Use a parallel horizontal feed to   maintain view of statues if I need to turn away.
Ok so you're cutting up through to the roof eh? Well, this building is 3 stories tall, so you make it to the second this turn. There's no heat signatures here, but there's clear signs of people having been living here in isolation for long periods. Most of the rooms are open and ransacked, the windows are barred and barricaded, there are stains on the ceiling from smoke and what look like burnt piles of papers and books. The building must have lost power and gotten quite cold; or perhaps it was for light. Even now in the middle of the day the halls here are nearly pitch black thanks to the covered windows.  No signs of bodies though.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 03, 2015, 12:07:43 pm »

((Wiki gnome to rescue! Situation solved!))

Ensure that every piece of written text is recorded by my cameras. The loose papers, marks on walls... Read those quickly if they are written in any language I know. Make use of any dictionaries I might have.

"The room is clear. Dirty and corpse. Writing and marks on walls and around."
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 02:11:42 pm by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 03, 2015, 01:05:28 pm »

Interesting. Not quite what I expected, but... this might work.

Enter the room as a team. Don't split the party.
Check if the center of anomaly (marked earlier on Mad Hatter) comes down at the corpse. Throw bolts, poke it with a pole, standard stuff.
Study the body. It's all dead, right? Cause of death, any special marks left on it?  If the visual examination is not enough, perform autopsy, if that would help.

Ulrich, if you'd study the writings, don't forget to use the dictionaries.
Bartolomew, keep watch on the hall we came through.
Morul, if you please, could you check out the closest rooms with your cam-eyes for "people" presence, and find a couple of most expedient ways of leaving this building, a few walls notwithstanding?
Hasala, we've reached the center of anomaly. Look out for more "dolls" coming out to us.

Team II, status report.

Quote from: Maurice ->Hasala
Good work. Now time to check if they still can move when cut in half. Also, look out for Pancaek - Team II hasn't confirmed this yet, but I take they might have lost track of him.
Past Sigs
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 33