Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 33

Author Topic: Mission 21: Uncanny Valley  (Read 50301 times)

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 21: Uncanny Valley
« Reply #150 on: August 18, 2015, 10:05:55 am »

:Maybe. Depends on if they move cyclically or on the Schrodinger principle.:

Time to test the Weeping Angel hypothesis. Keeping the window in view the entire time, check to see if there are more thermal signatures behind the building than just the original four, or if the ones from the large group all went for the team on the roof. Then, keeping a camera feed of the window from one of my body cameras on-screen, check to see if the thermal signatures in the hallway moved, as well. I'm assuming they're right on the other side of the door, now?

If not, set up another feed showing directly behind me, enter the hallway and move two or three rooms down the hall, keeping a light amplified feed of both directions open at all times and watching the thermal signatures outside with my CamEyes. Enter an empty room (de-activate light amps as I'm opening the door), proceed to window and GTFO. Fly up at an angle, so I don't crash into the barrier.

If the thermal signatures in the hall are directly outside the door, keep a feed of the window and the door open on-screen and use my laser rifle to cut a decent-sized hole in one of the side walls. Climb through into adjacent room and escape through window and into the sky.

If the Weeping Angel hypothesis doesn't hold up, fire up my rockets, lock my exoskeleton and Kool-Aid Man my way through a few side-walls and out of the building.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 18, 2015, 10:35:23 am »

Good luck. And good thinking.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 18, 2015, 11:51:46 pm »

"Because this happens, that's why. Also, I technically outrank you right now, so at least take my advice, like, don't let the creepy doll people touch you, and don't touch them."

Stay away from the doll people, and don't let them touch me. Follow Maurice, and get his assistance to get to building 21 if needed.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #153 on: August 20, 2015, 02:26:33 pm »

Ulrich Leland. Team I. Rooftop.

"That warning about "Do not come here" might been here for this reason." he says with sharp tone in his voice.

Put feeds from all cameras I have attached on me to my HUD so I have full 360° vision.
Follow team leader.

You adjust your cameras, but it's not possible to watch all the feeds at the same time. You have to keep shifting your gaze from one to another.

Pancaek team.

This probably didn't get explained as well as it could, so have an illustration:

You are the black dots. That gray is the barricade you were digging through. The red dots are the frozen people. You can literally not move out of the hole you dug without getting into the 20 foot no go zone that Maurice declared.

Nik's team:

Now you guys, you can get to the building without a problem.

You head past the statue and over to that flag pole, mostly flying, but touching down a dozen or so feet away and walking the rest of the distance. This building looks quite large and important but there are no signs of anyone alive in it. The doors are obviously barred, both outside and probably inside, and even the second floor windows are blocked off. No heat signitures in the building itself or anywhere near by. There's no sign of anything blatantly off about it either though, no giant glowing rock or sleeping alien or distorted area of space. Just snow covered ground and a tomb of a building.

:Maybe. Depends on if they move cyclically or on the Schrodinger principle.:

Time to test the Weeping Angel hypothesis. Keeping the window in view the entire time, check to see if there are more thermal signatures behind the building than just the original four, or if the ones from the large group all went for the team on the roof. Then, keeping a camera feed of the window from one of my body cameras on-screen, check to see if the thermal signatures in the hallway moved, as well. I'm assuming they're right on the other side of the door, now?

If not, set up another feed showing directly behind me, enter the hallway and move two or three rooms down the hall, keeping a light amplified feed of both directions open at all times and watching the thermal signatures outside with my CamEyes. Enter an empty room (de-activate light amps as I'm opening the door), proceed to window and GTFO. Fly up at an angle, so I don't crash into the barrier.

If the thermal signatures in the hall are directly outside the door, keep a feed of the window and the door open on-screen and use my laser rifle to cut a decent-sized hole in one of the side walls. Climb through into adjacent room and escape through window and into the sky.

If the Weeping Angel hypothesis doesn't hold up, fire up my rockets, lock my exoskeleton and Kool-Aid Man my way through a few side-walls and out of the building.

Now here's the thing. The human eye can only focus on a relatively small section of area. Your peripheral vision is wide but out actual detailed vision is quite a tight little cone. So it's hard to keep your eyes fixed on the window while also looking around. Even if you keep the camera feed fixed there, you can only watch one feed at a time. So keeping the feed on the window while looking down the hallway isn't the same as watching both at the same time.

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 20, 2015, 03:09:12 pm »

Hmm. Re-barricade the door behind me. Do so without actually looking away from the window, just grope around blindly for the furniture I pushed aside earlier. (Door is closed, right?)

When that's done, get my goop-thrower out, and goop over the window and the doll frozen climbing through it. I want to keep a single eye focused on the thermal signatures on the other side, though. Try to focus my other eye on looking where I'm going, but thermal takes priority. As in, looking straight ahead with both eyes, one using the CamEyes mode, the other looking at a feed on-screen. I realize this means not devoting my full attention to either, but I'm hoping it'll be enough anyway. (Make a mental note to complain to Heph about CamEyes not actually improving field of vision, despite being entirely black orbs compared to the human eye's relatively small area of the pupil.)

Do the laser thing with the wall. Climb through, regular vision eye feed focused on the door in that room. Lean the cut-out section of wall against the door, and throw one or two nearby pieces of furniture in front of it, too. If I've made it this far, then get out that window and up into the sky.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 20, 2015, 03:34:31 pm »

EDIT: Keep watch on the heat signatures, if pancaek allows use flight to lift him up to the roof
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 02:44:06 am by Corsair »
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 21, 2015, 01:01:21 am »

Pointless QEC message in case it can do one-way communication, which I doubt, but one can hope: "Dead people moving without moving. Encircling tactics." Does it give any different results now that we are deeper in the anomaly?

And keep eye on cameras.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 06:13:46 am by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 21, 2015, 05:25:19 am »

Team II, copy that. Stall for time if extraction appears impossible, but let's hope you can escape that.
Pancaek, Konrad, word of note: I've seen the specs on Anton's toy when approved it. It can lift an extra person when overboost is flipped on. It's somewhat hazardous, and the camera equipment might weight enough on its own, but that's at least one way out of there. And, if anything, 'Fat Sparrow' has a lot of juice to burn through, ways more than Mk III.

Team I, I want 360° perimeter watch. We don't want more of these "people" sneaking up on us. Morul, Ulrich, whoever is closer - take a look at the building with those fancy extra vision modes and see if there's anything of interest; afterwards, keep watch on the heat signatures inside.

I assume that there are no open windows in this building, right? And no open, readily available entrances in general? (proceed with the rest of the action regardless)

Mark the center of the dome-cut territory with a bright orange column in the Mad Hatter, piercing all the way upwards. Then, if the dome is actually spherically (or hemi-spherically) shaped, mark the center of the sphere point on that column.

Where does the column 'pierce' the roof? How deep/elevated is the center point in regards to ground? What can be said about the building interior in the general vicinity of that place - is it in the large hall, so no extra floors between it and the roof, and no extra inner walls between it and the outer ones?
Basically, I'm planning an entry with a 'fighting retreat', if necessary, so I want to know how open and big a passage to the center could easily be made (with lasers and/or explosives). And the building itself looks ambiguous as to whether it's one great hall or a multi-storey building.

(If blueprints are unavailable, use data from the x-ray vision scans and other stuff.)
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 21, 2015, 06:04:56 am »

T1: Eddie Gracerei

"Does anyone here have information on the kill range of the Brisant frag rounds? I'm getting a nasty feeling I might be unable to respond if this becomes a combat sitch"
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 21, 2015, 07:01:03 am »

((@Dorsidwarf You're on Team II with Pancaek. FYC.))
Past Sigs

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 21, 2015, 09:47:53 am »

"Does anyone here have information on the kill range of the Brisant frag rounds? I'm getting a nasty feeling I might be unable to respond if this becomes a combat sitch"
"Please don't tell me you're planning on shooting a nade at these people not twenty feet away from us. We will get caught in the blast, so just don't. I eyes on these people at all times while we come up with an escape plan"

Quote from: Pancaek -> Maurice
We're pretty much surrounded here. I see only three options. Either we stay put and hope they don't try anything, which I doubt. Or we dig further into the building.

Alternatively, we breach the 20ft no go zone to get just outside the building and I amp myself onto the roof after which we haul everyone up by rope.

Thoughts?

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 21, 2015, 10:45:40 am »

Quote from: Maurice -> Pancaek
Further in the building you will find ambush, of that I am certain. They probably can be held at bay, but I do not know for how long. Are you inside the building so you cannot get to the roof from where you are? I would suggest trying to get, say, straight up (cutting through the roof with the monoatomic machete, for example) and maybe sideways from there, or skirting the no-go zone since it's unlikely the area of effect is set to exactly 20 feet far.

Regardless, have some of them keep an eye on the dolls position, just in case their movement is really lack-of-perception-based. Come to think of it, you could try using your cam-eyes to fix the position of dolls inside, and do try entering the building to find exit elsewhere, but I still think it would end up highly disadvantageous to your team.

I can send Bartolomew with his Spektr your way to help cutting the building, if needed.
Past Sigs

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 21, 2015, 12:14:53 pm »

Quote from: Pancaek -> Maurice
I fear that cutting straight up will take too much time, and also attract more unwanted attention.

I think I may try to take a step outside and go upwards from there. I don't think we can skirt sideways without nearly touching one of them, but there seems to be some distance between the door opening and the semi circle yet. I fear the other options will just take too much time. 

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 21, 2015, 12:26:52 pm »

Quote from: Maurice -> Pancaek
Do as you think will be the best; I trust your decision. Good luck, and good thinking.
Past Sigs

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 21, 2015, 01:04:01 pm »

"All right, team two. I'm going to try and get on the roof and drop down a rope to haul you lot up. Do not under any circumstance take your eyes off of these guys."

Toss a bolt towards the semi circle of people. If it doesn't freeze just outside of the door, initiate plan. If something weird does happen to it just outside fo the door, stay put.

Plan: Make sure I've got some rope with me, otherwise grab some off of a teammember. Carefully step just outside of the building. Use amp to lift myself upwards along the wall onto the roof. Once there, check roof for hostiles. If no hostiles, drop down a length of rope to haul up my teammates one by one. Make sure at least one person is looking at the semicircle at all times.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 33