Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 33

Author Topic: Mission 21: Uncanny Valley  (Read 50298 times)

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 21: Uncanny Valley
« Reply #135 on: August 15, 2015, 04:44:44 am »

"This is definitely creepy"
follow team members inside, usual perimeter bolt throwy precautions also set the refresh rate on the heat detector as high as possible and set it so that once there is a change in static heat signatures it saves the records between them moving and not moving, briefly look away from the thermal and back again, review recording.
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Illgeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 15, 2015, 02:00:07 pm »

Follow the group. Melt hatch if needed.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #137 on: August 17, 2015, 12:24:11 pm »

((Pfft, don't let sensibility to get in way of awesome.))

Ulrich Leland. Team I. Rooftop.

How about rocket fire now for melting ice?
Actually just smash the glass and tear entire hatch cover out. MK III should have enough strength to do so.
Scan locations of people inside again, how much they have moved since last scan? Calculate their movement speed.
How about those people down by corner of the building, the group who had man with backwards legs?

((Infrared doesn't really travel through solid matter, so I don't think we really should be seeing these "heat signatures" inside buildings. X-Ray is better for that.))

You smash out the glass and pry open the hatch before looking around with the heat tracking system again. Something is very wrong. Most of the entire building is now encircled by heat signatures. You turn to look back at the rest of the team and the large collection of people in the courtyard and see that not only has the courtyard basically emptied, but that there are several of the frozen people standing up on the roof with you. Most of them are just standing normally, but a few are contorted slightly, and one seems to be missing his head. Everyone was looking at the hatch, so you have no idea when this happened or the speed they're moving.

Bartolomew, your turn. Cut the hatch, cut a hole, warm the hatch to the point of opening easily, I don't care. We're losing time here.

The roof won't be set on fire with all this snow and ice, but I don't think we should care about the structural integrity of this building. In fact, we might have to blow up a hole in it as we retreat, or collapse it on top of the 'heat signatures' if they prove dangerous. Saving the humans is preferred, but that is not out main objective here. And they might simply be far too gone by now.

Hasala, how is it down there?

When the way is open, start the thorough but quick investigation of the place. Use Mad Hatter mapping and team-sight to navigate the place and avoid coming close to heat signatures of the people inside. Withdraw if they approach.
Follow the group. Melt hatch if needed.
"Oh, I'm all for destruction, but there's a time and a place and honestly, I don't think it is. If there is something inside, firing off yer rockets would let it know we're coming, on top of wasting the fuel. I know ya got two tanks strapped to yer back but ya never know with these anomalies.

Find the latch, and using my microwave amp, heat the latch until it works or melts.
Ulrich points behind you and you all turn to see the dozen or so frozen people standing maybe 20 feet away on the opposite corner of the roof. The snow around them is completely undisturbed; it's almost as though they were just picked up and set into place where they stand.

"This is definitely creepy"
follow team members inside, usual perimeter bolt throwy precautions also set the refresh rate on the heat detector as high as possible and set it so that once there is a change in static heat signatures it saves the records between them moving and not moving, briefly look away from the thermal and back again, review recording.
"I'll take that as a yes."

Break down the barricade (by hand/knife is preferred, monoatomic machete if needed) and let my team in. Sweep and secure the first floor, looking for clues as to what might have happened.
The group walks around over to the side door of the building and begins trying to smash their way in. The front door is quite well barricaded and it's a feat to get it open without damaging the building around it. The doors themselves are easy enough to cut through, but theres what must be dozens of beds, desks, chairs and dressers all chained and nailed and even welded together behind the front door. This was the work of a very obsessive group of people who had a lot of time on their hands. Team hacks and tunnels their way through; they get about halfway in, enough to see the inside of the building through the tangled mess of metal and particle board, when pancaek notices something. A heat signiture out of the corner of his eye. He turns around and finds a good 50 or so frozen people just standing maybe 20 or 30 feet behind them, partially encircling them.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 17, 2015, 12:40:26 pm »

Ulrich Leland. Team I. Rooftop.

"That warning about "Do not come here" might been here for this reason." he says with sharp tone in his voice.

Put feeds from all cameras I have attached on me to my HUD so I have full 360° vision.
Follow team leader.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 03:02:21 pm by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 17, 2015, 02:27:47 pm »

Dollhouse... we are inside a giant dollhouse, and any damage we cause to it draws attention of the owner of all these dolls.
Draw attention... Ghostship all over again.!!

All right, time for fun and sidetrips is over. Team I, dust off. Team II, Pancaek, disengage and withdraw.
We are going to find the source of this anomaly, and do this ten minutes ago. Engaging the "people" or damaging or affecting the property anywhere is strictly forbidden, I repeat, strictly forbidden without direct permission from the team leader or unless completely unavoidable!

Team I, we are moving to building 21. It appears to be in the center of the dome, so it might house the source of it all.
Team II... try to advance to meet us there. If that's impossible, try to regroup and retreat to the dome edge. But we'll still need the cameraman.

Lead Team I to the building in the center of the dome (building 21, I assume?). Help Morul get there by air, if needed. Avoid getting close to the "people".

Investigate the place. Look for what could be the source of the anomaly. Bizarre, glowing, shiny, sticks out like a sore thumb, the usual drill.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Illgeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 17, 2015, 02:34:47 pm »

"Yes, messer-doctor!"
"Dust off" to building 21.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 17, 2015, 02:46:25 pm »

"Team 2, stop whatever you're doing and move towards building 21. Slow and steady, and keep your heads on a swivel. Don't break anything, because whatever is causing this doesn't like us breaking its toys it seems."

Quote from: Pancaek -> Maurice
"Yeah, I get a feeling we might be at its mercy here, somewhat. We need to find what the fuck is going, fast.

Also, just an idea. These guys can obviously move, right? Only, we can't see them move. Maybe we could try to leave behind messages in writing, so that they could read those when they do move?

Lead team towards building 21. As always, bolts in front and stop whenever there's even a whiff of anomaly going about. slow and stead. Also keep looking around periodically for changes in frozen people placements.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 17, 2015, 02:57:16 pm »

Quote from: Maurice -> Pancaek
That would have been a good idea a few encounters before. Now, with what we've seen... I don't think these people are even alive anymore - or themselves, for that matter. Certainly not the one guy that came to greet us without his head.

That's why I think these are its 'dolls'. The evidence our teams found points that people here turned into them over time, with some still sane and active and outside the influence, trying to hold out - but probably failed. As such, we are risking the same fate, really.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 17, 2015, 02:59:35 pm »

Quote from: Pancaek -> Maurice
How I long for the days where I just had to deal with giant murderbots coming to crush me. Any ideas on where the source might be? I could always try to fuck up one of the buildings in the distance.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 17, 2015, 03:04:25 pm »

Quote from: Maurice -> Pancaek
Very likely the absolute center of the dome. Unless the dome is just created there, with the source residing elsewhere - but even then, we might find and trace the link between the two. I hope so.
Past Sigs

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #145 on: August 17, 2015, 04:08:07 pm »

Hasala, how is it down there?
:Pretty dark. The heat signatures moved towards me when I moved the barricade and opened the door. Did the group outside move, as well?

I get the feeling that these people were trapped in here intentionally by those who remained unaffected long enough to make and hang that banner.:

Mad Hatter is pretty much Cartographer, right? Mark where the heat signatures are right now, and keep an eye on them for changes.

If my teammates inform me that the group outside hasn't moved, or hasn't moved more than about half way towards the window, then close the door behind me, mark it on the Mad Hatter map, and turn on light amps. Lamps, too, at minimum lighting, if it's too dark to see anything even with light amps. Then start walking down the hall in the direction furthest from the nearest heat signature, keeping the safety distance in mind.

If the group outside moved more than halfway back towards the window, go back into the room, close the door, replace the barricade, and GTFO.
If the group outside are back at the window (or even in the room with me), then close the door and move down the hallway in same direction as above, and try to exit the building through another room a few doors down.

Missed this post.

You mark the locations of the heat signatures and then notice all the new ones.

Your teammates inform you that shit has gotten uncomfortable. Unfortunately they appear to also moved back over near the window you got in from. In fact, one appears to be partially through it. It's coming through feet first, rigid as a board, and posed quite oddly.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 17, 2015, 06:38:40 pm »

Follow Pancaek's order's and move towards building 21, avoiding the 'dolls'.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 18, 2015, 04:41:43 am »

Move with rest of group, Frag grenade loaded, walking backwards to keep an eye on the people.

"Guuuuys... Are they only moving when we don't look at them? I don't liiiike that."
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 18, 2015, 07:04:36 am »

Follow pancaek's orders with the whole escape the building stuff then when outside activate flight on the MK-3a and quickly ascend and stay flying above and away from the freaky ass things that are coming for us. Keep an eye on heat signatures as we move try and catch them moving around, try adding mad hatter to the thermal/camera at different settings while watching the signatures try and see if that shows the movement.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 06:40:08 am by Corsair »
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 18, 2015, 09:18:27 am »

Hasala, status update.
...Oh, I see it. Damnation. Can you get out on your own?
Past Sigs
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 33