Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 33

Author Topic: Mission 21: Uncanny Valley  (Read 50274 times)

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 21: Uncanny Valley
« Reply #120 on: August 13, 2015, 12:02:55 am »

:No anomalous effects on the window. Whatever froze these people doesn't seem to be affecting specific areas. Or does so at random.:

Are there any thermal signatures in the hallway outside this room? If no, or they're far enough away that I wouldn't be closer than the safety range, shove that barricade out of the way with my MkIII exoskeleton strength, then enter the hallway. Unless the barricade is on the other side of the door, in which case open the door/laser it off its hinges and push my way through the barricade on the other side.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 13, 2015, 12:22:09 am »

Ulrich Leland. Team I. On rooftop.

Melt snow on the probable hatch via MK III rocket fire, open it and if area below is clear of people, get inside.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 13, 2015, 02:31:40 am »

Eddie, team 2

Hang around near someone important, give them cover with grenade launcher, standard stuff.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Illgeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 13, 2015, 07:37:45 am »

Fly to the hatch. Follow everyone if it's clear. Burn hole on the other side of roof, if not.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 13, 2015, 03:12:47 pm »

follow team
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 13, 2015, 04:28:54 pm »

"Use yer hands, it's less likely to set the roof on fire. Hrmmm... ya said the people were near freezing, right? What if we tried ta warm them up?"

Sweep the snow off the hatch with my hands, then examine it. Check the temperature of my braincase, and compare it against it's temperature when we were outside the dome.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 13, 2015, 11:50:44 pm »

"Here's plenty of frozen water to keep roof from burning."
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #127 on: August 14, 2015, 10:04:40 am »

"Pancaek or whatever your name is, do I permission to enter the building and explore?"

If permission is granted, break down the barricade (by hand/knife is preferred, monoatomic machete if needed) and let my team in. Sweep and secure the first floor, looking for clues as to what might have happened.
Well, annoyingly, no one seems to have granted you permission to do anything. Drat.

:No anomalous effects on the window. Whatever froze these people doesn't seem to be affecting specific areas. Or does so at random.:

Are there any thermal signatures in the hallway outside this room? If no, or they're far enough away that I wouldn't be closer than the safety range, shove that barricade out of the way with my MkIII exoskeleton strength, then enter the hallway. Unless the barricade is on the other side of the door, in which case open the door/laser it off its hinges and push my way through the barricade on the other side.

You look around...There are thermal signatures on this floor, but none of them are within the 20 foot limit.  You knock aside the barricade and shoulder the door open; it had swollen to the point of not easily swinging open. The hall itself is much less deteriorated; thick with dust and quite cold, but not filled with snow or leaves. It's quite dark within the building, the only light coming from the room you just bashed your way out of, and from another window further down the hall. Everything is deathly quiet. You do another quick look around and notice that the heat signatures have moved. They've moved inward, toward you. They're not moving now but, they're definitely in different positions then when you looked the first time.

"Use yer hands, it's less likely to set the roof on fire. Hrmmm... ya said the people were near freezing, right? What if we tried ta warm them up?"

Sweep the snow off the hatch with my hands, then examine it. Check the temperature of my braincase, and compare it against it's temperature when we were outside the dome.
You, rather then using a goddamn rocket to shovel snow, sensibly use your hands to brush the thick coating of white off the hatch. The hatch itself is glass, like a skylight, with a metal handle on side and stairs visibly leading down inside. You don't see anyone down where the stairs lead, and the other members of your group tell you there are no heat signatures near it. The hatch, however, appears to be either locked or frozen shut.

Your braincase is the same temp it was before and always is.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 14, 2015, 10:28:37 am »

Bartolomew, your turn. Cut the hatch, cut a hole, warm the hatch to the point of opening easily, I don't care. We're losing time here.

The roof won't be set on fire with all this snow and ice, but I don't think we should care about the structural integrity of this building. In fact, we might have to blow up a hole in it as we retreat, or collapse it on top of the 'heat signatures' if they prove dangerous. Saving the humans is preferred, but that is not out main objective here. And they might simply be far too gone by now.

Hasala, how is it down there?

When the way is open, start the thorough but quick investigation of the place. Use Mad Hatter mapping and team-sight to navigate the place and avoid coming close to heat signatures of the people inside. Withdraw if they approach.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 14, 2015, 10:41:53 am »

((Pfft, don't let sensibility to get in way of awesome.))

Ulrich Leland. Team I. Rooftop.

How about rocket fire now for melting ice?
Actually just smash the glass and tear entire hatch cover out. MK III should have enough strength to do so.
Scan locations of people inside again, how much they have moved since last scan? Calculate their movement speed.
How about those people down by corner of the building, the group who had man with backwards legs?

((Infrared doesn't really travel through solid matter, so I don't think we really should be seeing these "heat signatures" inside buildings. X-Ray is better for that.))
Old sigs.
Games.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 14, 2015, 04:18:30 pm »

"Oh, I'm all for destruction, but there's a time and a place and honestly, I don't think it is. If there is something inside, firing off yer rockets would let it know we're coming, on top of wasting the fuel. I know ya got two tanks strapped to yer back but ya never know with these anomalies.

Find the latch, and using my microwave amp, heat the latch until it works or melts.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 14, 2015, 04:49:41 pm »

"I'll take that as a yes."

Break down the barricade (by hand/knife is preferred, monoatomic machete if needed) and let my team in. Sweep and secure the first floor, looking for clues as to what might have happened.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 14, 2015, 05:19:42 pm »

"Hmm, oh yes, go ahead. Sorry, distracted. Be sure to throw shit at the building before walking closer, just to be safe. Give a shout if the barricade is too much to clear by hand."

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 14, 2015, 06:53:26 pm »

Hasala, how is it down there?
:Pretty dark. The heat signatures moved towards me when I moved the barricade and opened the door. Did the group outside move, as well?

I get the feeling that these people were trapped in here intentionally by those who remained unaffected long enough to make and hang that banner.:

Mad Hatter is pretty much Cartographer, right? Mark where the heat signatures are right now, and keep an eye on them for changes.

If my teammates inform me that the group outside hasn't moved, or hasn't moved more than about half way towards the window, then close the door behind me, mark it on the Mad Hatter map, and turn on light amps. Lamps, too, at minimum lighting, if it's too dark to see anything even with light amps. Then start walking down the hall in the direction furthest from the nearest heat signature, keeping the safety distance in mind.

If the group outside moved more than halfway back towards the window, go back into the room, close the door, replace the barricade, and GTFO.
If the group outside are back at the window (or even in the room with me), then close the door and move down the hallway in same direction as above, and try to exit the building through another room a few doors down.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 15, 2015, 12:35:19 am »

"Oh, I'm all for destruction, but there's a time and a place and honestly, I don't think it is. If there is something inside, firing off yer rockets would let it know we're coming, on top of wasting the fuel. I know ya got two tanks strapped to yer back but ya never know with these anomalies.

"Could say same back to you. Save your mind until you actually need it."
Old sigs.
Games.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 33