Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 33

Author Topic: Mission 21: Uncanny Valley  (Read 50334 times)

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 21: Anomaly Exploration
« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2015, 05:02:51 pm »

"With your permission Mr Maurice I would like to begin mapping anomaly patterns"
With permission begin mapping campus anomalies using flight mode, identifying any anomalies that are present and giving them a 20ft perimeter minimum ideally 30ft or more. do not fly over any anomalies. After mapping is complete mark on the map areas of high and low density of anomalies if there is some sort of pattern then try and determine if it is directed around a central point, send anomaly map to all team members once complete.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 05:59:35 am by Corsair »
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2015, 11:19:38 pm »

Sure, why not. Let's enter voidspace in the anomaly, and try and get out of the anomaly dome.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 05, 2015, 07:32:40 am »

((Okay, since Piecewise didn't reply, let's resolve at the worst-case scenario just in case.))
Copy that, Pancaek. It might be gravitational, or perhaps temporal, or even something else in nature; everyone, make sure not to get too close to the bodies for now. Test with small throwing objects or your poles beforehand to make sure.

Understood, Hasala. See if the doors are visibly barred, or perhaps open. Are their eyes looking at the building or away from it? Don't approach too close.

Han, that'd be ideal if we could even approach them; as they are, we probably won't be able to do anything to these people, even with the question of hazardous area aside. We'll see if we can get to that as we proceed.

Ulrich, permission granted.

Konrad, ... permission granted. Take wide berths, even wider than regular 20 feet, and see if those anomalies would register on the sensors at all. If none are easily seen, you are to return back immediately. Remember that your equipment is essential for the mission.

Pancaek, while I am personally overlooking the terrain, return to the group position, and regroup them for splitting into teams as discussed earlier. As soon as the scouts and I return, we are slowly beginning the sweep in different directions.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #93 on: August 06, 2015, 12:39:06 pm »

((First I must say: Hoo boy. Now that's a sprawling college campus; for some reason, I expected it to be much, much smaller, like maybe three (large-ish, but still) buildings or something. Oh well, at least now we have a map!

Second: Piecewise is asking for distance. It is unsubtle warning, but then again it's OOC and not something we can avoid sooner or later.
For the record, completely IC: By prior standing orders, no one is to get within 20 feet (Milnopole length) of anomalous shit. Without prior poking, very good reason, and explicit permission, at least. And, well, if that's too close, then too bad because that's the best IC reasoning I can give on this matterEdit: Swordsmith04 has an excellent point, which might change that default distance; however, the matter remains to be suggested and resolved IC yet. By which I mean: Piecewise, for now let's say 20 ft. minimal distance is the baseline for all 'unspecified closeness' movement.

Three, to confirm: Have we scouted the whole area of the campus, more or less? Because that's what we've been doing for the last two or three turns, and without this map I'd swear it sounded like us having accomplished that - i.e. there are no other groups of people, no other details (like those students getting in/out through the windows, or the poster) discernible even from moderate distance, no stark weird shit other than the already mentioned, etc, that we haven't yet seen, waiting for us plainly in the open (i.e., I'm not asking about miniscule details or about what is hidden from view inside the buildings). The next turn actions hinge on whether the preliminary scouting is complete, or not. If sending just one scout is not enough, tell us so; please don't leave room for misunderstanding.))

EDIT: ((In addition to the above, since mid-turn reply is unlikely at this point in time already, here come the turn actions.))
Fly around the dome clockwise, keeping wide distances from people and buildings and keeping to the edge of the dome, examining, camera-recording and mapping everything in plain sight and confirming that we've missed nothing and the whole area is scouted.
Return to the group position after making the circle.

((Yes, I am doing this to settle the question of not fully revealed terrain.))

(Be glad I didn't use my old campus where I originally thought of the idea for this, years ago)

20 feet eh? Ok.

You haven't scouted the whole campus, ie behind all the buildings and such, but you can see most of the open area from where you are and there are a few scattered "Statues" away from the main cluster in the center there, but it's mostly empty. 

You fly up and do a quick scan of the area. There are a few other clusters of frozen people, most either coming into or out of buildings, or right out in the open. Where as the ones in the center look more like they stopped in the midst of normal walking; these look like they froze mid-action or even in the midst of running.

Hasala marks the building on the Mad Hatter map before speaking.
:Status update; I've found a few more people, frozen in place trying to climb through a ground floor window of Building 8.:

Ok, you guys are gonna have to start telling me how far or how close you're getting to any of these frozen people. In feet, meters, whatever.
For this action, no closer than I already am. For future reference, how close is that? And about how far is it between the window those people were climbing through, and the edge of the anomaly?

Take a look through the window they were climbing through, without moving any closer. Anything interesting?

If I can see the frozen peoples' faces, use zoom function to get a look at where their eyes are looking.

Try tossing a bolt through the window. If it goes through unobstructed and I can see inside, take note of whether it looks like any of the snow has blown into the building through the window.

Look for Building 8's door. Is it barred/locked/etc.?

15-20 feet

It appears to be college dorm, but in quite a bad state of disarray. Though these people seem to have been stoically withstanding the elements without change, the room seems to have seen the worst of a few years exposed to nature. There's nothing living in there, but there's plenty of leaves and snow.

You toss a bolt in. It goes in without issue. Well, I should say that the one you finally manage to get in goes in fine. Throwing something into a window from 20 feet proves harder then you'd like to admit.

The main door is on the opposite side of the building. It doesn't have any signs of barring or locking on the outside, but it's a solid wood door so you can't tell if the inside is blocked till you try to physically open it.

"With your permission Mr Maurice I would like to begin mapping anomaly patterns"
With permission begin mapping campus anomalies using flight mode, identifying any anomalies that are present and giving them a 20ft perimeter minimum ideally 30ft or more. do not fly over any anomalies. After mapping is complete mark on the map areas of high and low density of anomalies if there is some sort of pattern then try and determine if it is directed around a central point, send anomaly map to all team members once complete.
Nik seems to have already done this in his post.

Sure, why not. Let's enter voidspace in the anomaly, and try and get out of the anomaly dome.
You enter the void. You end up...you're not sure. It's not the normal void, not just blackness. It's almost as though you're standing in a dense field of massive, dimly glowing bubbles. You can't really tell the distance to any of them; they could be right beside you or 10 million miles away.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 06, 2015, 02:35:08 pm »

Ulrich Leland

"How about I shoot a bullet over their heads and see if it slows downor otherwise acts oddly?"

Move back near Maurice, and closer to the anomaly boundary. Shoot a bullet over heads of group of frozen people trying to not hit them and observe the result.

Missed me.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 06, 2015, 03:14:44 pm »

"Well shit."

Exit Voidspace.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 06, 2015, 08:55:11 pm »

((Okay, since Piecewise didn't reply, let's resolve at the worst-case scenario just in case.))
Understood, Hasala. See if the doors are visibly barred, or perhaps open. Are their eyes looking at the building or away from it? Don't approach too close.
:The door doesn't appear to be barred, and is not open. I can't get a good enough view of their faces to tell where their eyes are looking. Can confirm that the specified safety distance is sufficient, though.

Whatever froze these people happened after the anomaly appeared, but not too recently - there's several years' worth of exposure damage to the room with the open window, but they had enough time to make and hang that crude banner.

I'm going to test the door and see if there's anything unusual inside this building, unless you have any objections.:

Toss another bolt at the door to make sure touching it isn't dangerous, then try to open it. If it's locked, laser the hinges off and push it inward. When the door is open, have a look inside.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 01:33:12 pm by swordsmith04 »

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 07, 2015, 12:18:52 am »

So, for future reference, I'm just gonna be following Maurice around like a stray dog, alright?
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 07, 2015, 02:57:32 am »

Follow Maurice at a distance of, let's say, 20 feet. Keep grenade launcher ready. Hop nervously from stupid spring stilt to stupid spring stilt.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 07, 2015, 02:07:23 pm »

"Right. Everyone who isn't doing anything important come back to my position. Remember to use your bolts and such to make sure everything's hunky-dory. Slow and steady is the name of the game."

Trace my steps back to where we started from, throw bolts and take it easy to not accidentally a anomaly. While I'm waiting, try and see if I can nudge one of the non-students from first group with my mass amp.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #100 on: August 08, 2015, 10:20:51 am »

Ulrich Leland

"How about I shoot a bullet over their heads and see if it slows downor otherwise acts oddly?"

Move back near Maurice, and closer to the anomaly boundary. Shoot a bullet over heads of group of frozen people trying to not hit them and observe the result.

Missed me.
You aim a few feet over the heads of the frozen people and fire a round. The shot punches into a tree behind them and knocks the snow off its branches, but the frozen people don't move.

"Well shit."

Exit Voidspace.
You pop back into existence right where you were.

:The door doesn't appear to be barred, and is not open. I can't get a good enough view of their faces to tell where their eyes are looking. Can confirm that the specified safety distance is sufficient, though.

Whatever froze these people happened after the anomaly appeared, but not too recently - there's several years' worth of exposure damage to the room with the open window, but they had enough time to make and hang that crude banner.

I'm going to test the door and see if there's anything unusual inside this building, unless you have any objections.:

Toss another bolt at the door to make sure touching it isn't dangerous, then try to open it. If it's locked, laser the hinges off and push it inward. When the door is open, have a look inside.
You walk around, over to the door and toss a bolt at it. The bolt pings off the door and down onto the concrete front steps without any visible sign of strange behavior. You shrug and walk up to the entrance and give the door a probative shove. It flexes inward slightly, but remains closed. Barred, but probably just barricaded with furniture or something, not actually deadbolted or nailed.

You take a step back and make ready to laser the hinges off when you notice something out of the corner of your eye. It's over to your left, around the otherside of the building, the way you didn't go. It's a head, human, peaking out around the corner at you and staring. Which wouldn't be so bad, if not for the fact that you're fairly certain you remember that particular head belonging to one of the frozen people that were climbing out of the window around the back of the building.

So, for future reference, I'm just gonna be following Maurice around like a stray dog, alright?
Fair enough.
Follow Maurice at a distance of, let's say, 20 feet. Keep grenade launcher ready. Hop nervously from stupid spring stilt to stupid spring stilt.
You bounce around behind Maurice, but make sure to keep your distance.

"Right. Everyone who isn't doing anything important come back to my position. Remember to use your bolts and such to make sure everything's hunky-dory. Slow and steady is the name of the game."

Trace my steps back to where we started from, throw bolts and take it easy to not accidentally a anomaly. While I'm waiting, try and see if I can nudge one of the non-students from first group with my mass amp.
You try to move another of the frozen people but they are just as strangely rigid as the others.

You sit down, crosslegged, in the snow at the entrance to the anomaly and wait.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 08, 2015, 10:41:26 am »

Hasala, what's the report on the door?

Morul, was your experiment successful? You took quite some time.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 08, 2015, 10:46:19 am »

:Barricaded. More importantly, one of the frozen students seem to have unfrozen after I walked away and followed me. Attempting contact, though I'm not very good at this sort of thing.: ((-1 Charisma, bleh.))

Radio teammates. Wave at the person, point my laser rifle away from them. Use provided dictionary to say "Hello. Are you okay?"

Quick check to see if the thermal signatures of the people trying to climb through the window are still there. And keep an eye on my surroundings for other non-frozen people. If the person starts moving towards me, hold up a hand to indicate I want them to stay back. Maintain safety distance for now, by backing away if needed.

If they walk towards me and don't stop when I gesture at them to stay back or back away from them, point laser rifle at them. If they still don't stop, shoot at their legs. Not enough to cut them off, but enough to cause damage and hopefully make them fall over.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 08, 2015, 11:24:29 am »

Commander Sanctor, Team I

Hasala, this is important. Check his thermal signature and try to find a way to confirm that he is not an illusion. Fly off if needed, do not make physical contact yet. Non-lethal testing is permitted.

I'm coming.
((Charisma 0, better than nothing; only Doomblade's character has better, but he is needed on his team.)) Team I, follow me; Morul, take the longer land route around, if needed, but follow us as well.

Team II, Pancaek, I want you to move west of current position. Investigate the closest buildings and people, and slowly take the sweep towards the center of the place. Be careful.

Fly out towards Hasala's position. Teams are finally split, and Team II is following Pancaek (Eddie ((Dorsidwarf)) and Lucricia((E_D)) should be tagging along with him).
Arrive to the side of the living person Hasala spotted. Confirm the person's existence and living state via all observation levels available (thermal signatures, x-ray, etc. - use Hasala's and Ulrich's cam-eyes feeds) and run through Mad Hatter scrambling. If nothing strange comes up, approach the person (socially, not physically - at all times keep 20 ft. minimal distance) and ask "What happened?" in local language.
Past Sigs

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 08, 2015, 12:21:31 pm »

Ulrich Leland, Team I

"It doesn't appear to be temporal anomaly because my bullet went straight over their heads without slowing down."

Set left eye on infrared, toggle right eye between motion tracking and normal every few seconds. Fly after Maurice, but land near Hasala where it is confirmedly safe.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 33