Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some questions  (Read 1300 times)

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
Some questions
« on: December 07, 2007, 01:11:00 pm »

Been having lots of fun so far, but all my skills are geared towards the old flat earth version and I have a lot to re-learn. So a bunch of things I need to know:

1. Is there any way to see the seed for an already generated world? Id like to share it with a friend but the seed was random.
2. Can marksdwarves fire at creatures on other Z levels? Im making fortifications with recessed balistas on the ground floor and marksdwarves in windows above but im not sure if it will work.
3. Do catapults only target creatures on the same Z level?
4. What part of the screw pump does the driveshaft hook up to? Can it touch it from any direction?
5. Do gearboxes work like universal joints?
6. Is there any way to choose which starting dwarf is expedition leader?

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

MickEfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some questions
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 01:16:00 pm »

1.) yep, when you, in the escape menu, export an image of your fortress, a text file is created, containing the seed
2.)yep, fixed a patch or two ago.
3.) No Clue. I can't afford the wood.
4.) when it says pumps from the north it PUMPS from the north out into the south. Wiki has more info.
5.) Inefficent joints yes, but then I've never tried to create conflicting torque. Careful there.
6.) yep, the dwarf with the best personality for leading gets it UNLESS a dwarf has some leadership skills found at the bottom of the list.

hope it helps.

Vengeful Donut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 06:21:00 pm »

4) any.
5) yes. no such thing as torque.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 10:06:00 pm »

2) Last time I tried that, it was extremely innacurate to say the least. Was a good way to make the goblins waste all their ammo before an attack...
6)The member of your expedition who have the highest social skills will be the leader. When I start an expedition, I usually give my leader as much social skill as I can then I dump him someplace unnimportant like craftdwarf shop and the like and stop him when I need him.

Don't forget to get "appraiser" if you want to be able to trade well the first time a caravan pass by...

I am on a hot streak... literally.