Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DF2014 experiences: lower FPS, less action  (Read 3287 times)

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 experiences: lower FPS, less action
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2015, 06:23:46 pm »

There's still thief now. One can make fire imp a thieving civ.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2015, 01:07:07 am »

Would be nice if it was easier to tell how much adventurers are doing regarding pissing off other civs. Next version should help with being able to hopefully hire adventurers to start trouble.

thrush_titan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2015, 05:56:57 pm »

force siege EVIL
I've never gotten it to work, either it does nothing or crashes the game.  If there's an updated version I'd love to hear about it.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2015, 03:27:32 am »

force siege EVIL
I've never gotten it to work, either it does nothing or crashes the game.  If there's an updated version I'd love to hear about it.

There is not, I wrote that, it hasn't worked since 0.40.01, no idea where boogie is getting info, a fix is completely impossible for me to make at this point due to limited knowledge about army controllers

EDIT: actually, uh... i had a working force siege script that I've been sitting on because it's utterly stupid (it just sends every single world army of enemy civs to you at once, since some of them don't besiege when placed to move to your fort for some inscrutable reason)

I appear to have deleted it at some point... yikes.

here's something similar:

Code: [Select]
function entityIsEnemy(entityId)
    local entity=df.historical_entity.find(entityId)
    if entity then
        local entityRawFlags=entity.entity_raw.flags
        local playerEntityFlags=df.historical_entity.find(df.global.ui.civ_id).entity_raw.flags
        return (playerEntityFlags.BABYSNATCHER ~= entityRawFlags.BABYSNATCHER) or (playerEntityFlags.ITEM_THIEF ~= entityRawFlags.ITEM_THIEF)
    else
        return false
    end
end

for k,army in ipairs(df.global.world.armies.all) do
    if army.controller and entityIsEnemy(army.controller.entity_id) then
        local fortress=df.world_site.find(df.global.ui.site_id)
        print('forcing army #'..army.id)
        army.unk_pos1.x=(fortress.global_min_x+fortress.rgn_min_x)*3-2
        army.unk_pos1.y=(fortress.global_min_y+fortress.rgn_min_y)*3
        army.unk_pos2.x=army.unk_pos1.x+1
        army.unk_pos2.y=army.unk_pos1.y
        army.controller.pos_x=army.unk_pos1.x
        army.controller.pos_y=army.unk_pos1.y
        if #army.unk_pos_x>0 then
            army.unk_pos_x[0]=army.unk_pos1.x
            army.unk_pos_y[0]=army.unk_pos1.y
        else
            army.unk_pos_x:insert('#',army.unk_pos1.x)
            army.unk_pos_y:insert('#',army.unk_pos2.y)
        end
        --[[
        oh god i have no idea if this'll work
        ]]
    end
end

testing on a medium world revealed that it probably doesn't work even though near-identical code worked in the past

not sure hwat i'm missing

maybe it's... nothing??? and armies are just finicky
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 04:30:46 am by Putnam »

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2015, 10:24:43 am »

Any alternative to magic sieges would just be uh better version of what we have now.

One of the problems is it seems like no matter how close you embark to Goblins they still consider a ton of potential sites for where to attack regardless of distance. So they end up sieging a bunch of random forts in priority over yours.
Then the alternative would be some way to go "kill this site now" in DFHack. Or rather, "kill all sites of civ X other than this one". Then goblins will have no choice but your site when deciding where to hit.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2015, 04:10:21 pm »

force siege EVIL

There is not, I wrote that, it hasn't worked since 0.40.01, no idea where boogie is getting info, a fix is completely impossible for me to make at this point due to limited knowledge about army controllers

EDIT: actually, uh... i had a working force siege script that I've been sitting on because it's utterly stupid (it just sends every single world army of enemy civs to you at once, since some of them don't besiege when placed to move to your fort for some inscrutable reason)

I appear to have deleted it at some point... yikes.

here's something similar:

Code: [Select]
function entityIsEnemy(entityId)
    local entity=df.historical_entity.find(entityId)
    if entity then
        local entityRawFlags=entity.entity_raw.flags
        local playerEntityFlags=df.historical_entity.find(df.global.ui.civ_id).entity_raw.flags
        return (playerEntityFlags.BABYSNATCHER ~= entityRawFlags.BABYSNATCHER) or (playerEntityFlags.ITEM_THIEF ~= entityRawFlags.ITEM_THIEF)
    else
        return false
    end
end

for k,army in ipairs(df.global.world.armies.all) do
    if army.controller and entityIsEnemy(army.controller.entity_id) then
        local fortress=df.world_site.find(df.global.ui.site_id)
        print('forcing army #'..army.id)
        army.unk_pos1.x=(fortress.global_min_x+fortress.rgn_min_x)*3-2
        army.unk_pos1.y=(fortress.global_min_y+fortress.rgn_min_y)*3
        army.unk_pos2.x=army.unk_pos1.x+1
        army.unk_pos2.y=army.unk_pos1.y
        army.controller.pos_x=army.unk_pos1.x
        army.controller.pos_y=army.unk_pos1.y
        if #army.unk_pos_x>0 then
            army.unk_pos_x[0]=army.unk_pos1.x
            army.unk_pos_y[0]=army.unk_pos1.y
        else
            army.unk_pos_x:insert('#',army.unk_pos1.x)
            army.unk_pos_y:insert('#',army.unk_pos2.y)
        end
        --[[
        oh god i have no idea if this'll work
        ]]
    end
end

testing on a medium world revealed that it probably doesn't work even though near-identical code worked in the past

not sure hwat i'm missing

maybe it's... nothing??? and armies are just finicky

I think it was some random Reddit thread I happened across. I forgot to check the date. Looks like we'll just have to wait for a patch that addresses this issue.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2015, 07:45:08 am »

I'm planning on playing v0.34 simply for the FPS. Does anyone know/remember if the only things that affected FPS was the number of dwarves+animals (as opposed to the unexplainable drops I get in v0.40). In v0.40 I've done all the tricks. 40 dwarf limit, 2x2 embark, removed the [flier] tag, cut down all trees from the edge of the map, don't embark on river, don't breach caverns. Despite all this, I still drop to around 20 fps for no reason after 3 in game years.

Anyway, what I'm asking is did these problems exist in v0.34? I can't really remember.
And are there any cool features I'll be missing? The only changes I remember are mult-tile trees, faster military training, and dynamic worlds.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2015, 08:19:44 am »

In 34.11 there was some problems affecting the FPS, that DFHack was fixing (unstable temperature) with adding   
tweak stable-temp
tweak fast-heat 500
to your dfhack.int to stop the neverending loop of temperature stabilisation, and stabilise it faster.

There are some more fixes that come with DFHack , get to the readme, but the temperature one is a must.

DFHack i am using for 34.11 is this one :
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/?topic=91166.0

There's a patched 34.11 fixing several 34.11 bugs that are still in the unpatched (official) version :
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7207
it comes with its own DFHack too

There's the accelerated mods that should provide some more fps boost too :
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=117954.0
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 08:26:32 am by Robsoie »

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2015, 08:30:02 am »

Those *are* cool features. One of the big fps culprits in 2014 is fallen leaves and fruits--thousands of items lying there on the ground. Running the "clean" dfhack command, which has an "item" argument to clean up these messes, helps.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2015, 08:31:17 am »

Despite all this, I still drop to around 20 fps for no reason after 3 in game years.
What of stockpiles? The one FPS experiment I did confirmed stockpiles eat FPS.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2015, 08:38:15 am »

A good idea is to try to make "quantum stockpiles" to make the stockpiles as small as possible :
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Exploit#Quantum_stockpiles

And a simple atom smasher to remove items/whatever useless stuff from the game
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Dwarven_atom_smasher

Those are obvious exploits, but good way to avoid fps death too soon

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2015, 10:10:24 am »

For the slower gameplay, i believe there are probably some problems with the pathfinding that has to deal with the new trees, the walls , the holes etc... as everything can climb in df2014 , though most of the time they either don't (never saw a single goblin climbing my simple 1 tile high wooden walls) or fail at doing it correctly (i saw numerous cases in fort with my dwarves climbing up on a wall or on a tree for reason of their own and being unable to climb down by themselves, getting stuck up there until they die from thirst unless you teleport down with dfhack).

Hopefully next version will bring back the lost fun and fix some of the bugs that get in the way of it..

On a previous fort (in which my military was as-yet very poor), I got a goblin siege where ONE goblin did climb over the walls, and then found a hole I hadn't noticed, which let him into my fort (this was before I knew about trees creating holes). He killed one civilian, became horrified at seeing death, and just stood around in a state of shock. This was an actual goblin soldier (I forget which specialty), not a green "recruit".
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2015, 11:31:16 am »

In 34.11 there was some problems affecting the FPS, that DFHack was fixing (unstable temperature) with adding   
tweak stable-temp
tweak fast-heat 500
to your dfhack.int to stop the neverending loop of temperature stabilisation, and stabilise it faster.

There are some more fixes that come with DFHack , get to the readme, but the temperature one is a must.

DFHack i am using for 34.11 is this one :
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/?topic=91166.0

There's a patched 34.11 fixing several 34.11 bugs that are still in the unpatched (official) version :
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7207
it comes with its own DFHack too

There's the accelerated mods that should provide some more fps boost too :
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=117954.0

Thanks! Quick question. In order to use them do I just type those 2 phrases into the DFHack command line?

Edited
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 11:55:21 am by Chief10 »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2015, 01:06:04 pm »

You can, but you can have them starting with DF when you launch it, so you don't have to bother to type them again, just create a text file in your DF directory, type in it

tweak stable-temp
tweak fast-heat 500

And save that text file, then rename your whatever.txt file into dfhack.init and everytime you'll launch DF with DFHack, it will have these.

There's a "dfhack.init-example" file (it's a text file too) that shows an example of commands you can put in a dfhack.init

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2015, 02:37:41 am »

I still love the game, but I am playing it a lot less because of the lack of action. I miss the baby snatchers and kobold theifs very dearly. Ironic that a design choice that attempted to make the world more alive has had the effect of a world that seems much more dead.
Pages: 1 [2]