Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17

Author Topic: D&D Alignment discussion  (Read 38624 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: D&D Alignment discussion
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2015, 08:19:53 pm »

Can I say I like the basic good/evil chaotic/good system?

From the basic side, it's a simple, easy-to-adjudicate system that doesn't make assumptions about what the players believe. More deeply, it recognizes that any game system will fail to provide an clear and simple set of ethical categories- people have been trying for a millennia or two and haven't made much progress on that front, so it's probably not going to be solved in DnD. By accepting a self-admittedly cartoonish system, you can model mostly realistic characters well enough, and can make Tolkenesque elementally good PCs and fundamentally evil mooks because sometimes that's what you sat down intending to do.

When you intend to run more interesting political games, then the whole alignment system (and the attached parts of other systems, like the detect alignment spells...) can go away; it's not needed.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 10:42:06 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2015, 10:37:59 pm »

Can I say I like the basic good/evil chaotic/good system?

From the basic side, it's a simple, easy-to-adjudicate system that doesn't make assumptions about what the players believe. More deeply, it recognizes that any game system will fail to provide an clear and simple set of ethical categories- people have been trying for a millennia or two and haven't made much progress on that front, so it's probably not going to be solved in DnD. By accepting an self-admittedly cartoonish system, you can model mostly realistic characters well enough, and can make Tolkenesque elementally good PCs and fundamentally evil mooks because sometimes that's what you sat down intending to do.

When you intend to run more interesting political games, then the whole alignment system (and the attached parts of other systems, like the detect alignment spells...) can go away; it's not needed.
Yeah, I think this is more-or-less what I would go with. If you want to get philosophical, you can begin to question things as basic as whether evil even exists, or whether "good" is good, but none of that is really relevant to someone's desire to smite evil creatures with holy weapons. You can debate whether actions or intentions define morals, but that doesn't effect me being the overlord of all I survey. You can argue where the line is for transitions between alignments, but what if I just want to watch the world burn?

Moral ambiguity is everywhere in real life. But fantasy is by definition not real.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2015, 10:56:36 pm »

In the Planescape setting (and other settings that assume the Planescape multiverse) it actually makes sense for alignment to be a little bit inconsistent, as it is presumably - like all other outer planar matters - generated by the beliefs of living creatures, which don't always agree.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2015, 04:16:31 pm »

Alignments can muddle things if taken too seriously or if people have strict, inflexible views of how each alignment should work and argue with other players about it.

Once had a DM change a ninja's alignment from lawful evil to lawful neutral, because he wasn't evil enough. He followed his orders, which apparently an evil character wouldn't do. Apparently the ninja should have been sabotaging his master's orders and have been plotting to dethrone him and take his wealth/position.

I totally think a lawful evil character would be fine in that ninja's position, as he was getting rewards and favourable treatment due to his job. The whole "evil is an anathema to everything around them" cliche seems to come up a lot in D&D, in my experience.

I haven't been paying too much attention to this thread, I just thought that here would be more appropriate for this story than some other threads.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2015, 07:24:05 pm »

I always just got my players to write up a short biography block that explains what about their character makes them the alignment they are.  If someone thinks they are evil because they do X. Y. and Z, than it doesn't really matter what someone else thinks of them.  In their opinion they are in fact evil. 

That's what I always took from the alignments in DnD/pathfinder and how it works with aligned gods.  You worship X god because you also believe your own soul lies within his overarching statement.  Whether that's good, evil, neutral or otherwise.  Sort of why Drow are CE but seem to lead a very lawful society, they themselve feel they are chaotic and whether an outsider can see law and order or not doesn't really matter because that;s not what they believe.
Nom nom nom

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2015, 10:12:56 pm »

I prefer a pretty loose arrangement. Generally
Good = They're nice, most of the time.
Evil = They're a jerk, most of the time.
Lawful = They generally do what is expected of them by some sort of external social order or internal code of behavior.
Chaotic = They generally do whatever they feel like doing.

Well it isn't about alignment as in "What makes an alignment" this is about what makes a decent character that can be run in a setting.

A totally immoral character with no real connections, liabilities, or anything... Is a psychopath.

Sure Order of the Stick had Balker and he was "evil", but he was a kind of evil that could be directed and he definitely had some morals or inklings not to go around killing random people.

People just want to play the game's secret villain... but if they want to be the secret villain then just ask me if they can be the secret villain.

Not to nitpick, but the only things I remember doing that were threats of violence and magical compulsions.  :P

But yes, a very large part of the time the people who want to play CE characters are the sort that think it would be absolutely hilarious to ape Belkar or Black Mage in a real campaign. So complete tools, in other words. LE isn't objectionable.

CN is sort of a borderline case. It's a really useful alignment for characters who are chaotic and not particularly nice (Rogues and Barbarians come to mind in particular), but it's also the alignment of choice for the tools who've been banned from playing CE.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2015, 12:07:20 am »

Personally my idea of what Chaotic Evil should look like is shaped more by Bender, Master Shake, Magic Man, the Joker, and GWAR than any of the characters that you mentioned.

Edit:
on a related note, my models for lawful good are Carrot Ironfounderson and the East-Coast Brotherhood of Steel, and my model for Chaotic Good is the Eva Peron Foundation (as interpreted under the assumption that the accusations of embezzlement were false but that the accusations of poor organization and of donations collected via extortion and abuse of government influence were true) and my models for yugoloth-style Neutral Evil are John Galt and the Duke of Blangis
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 12:15:34 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2015, 12:26:21 am »

Well Chaotic Evil doesn't nessisarily mean you are without morals either, or outright insane.

Bender yeah is a good example of a Chaotic Evil character with morals.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2015, 02:48:08 pm »

It's a crutch. Even D&D deities have their own spheres of influence. Like trade or hunt or sickness. It would make way more sense that each of these deities would reward behaviors that favored their own, rather than some nebulous Nice vs Icky axis just to help people know that they aren't supposed to like those deities and people that are Icky.

IIRC they did operate like that in earlier editions
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2015, 05:20:27 pm »

I'd rather it take a King Of Dragon Pass outlook, where deities of bad things are placated to make them not hurt you. This is also how some polytheistic cultures actually functioned.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2015, 10:05:37 pm »

Relevant:

What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2015, 01:00:09 pm »

I'd rather it take a King Of Dragon Pass outlook, where deities of bad things are placated to make them not hurt you. This is also how some polytheistic cultures actually functioned.
When if I run a 5e game, I think that is what I would do.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2016, 08:55:42 pm »

IIRC a lot of ancient real-world religions used to work this way too
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2016, 09:00:11 pm »

Well even evil deities were often necessary in some manner.

Gaia was probably the more irritable Goddess (Titans are Elder Gods shush!) who killed people left and right because she was in a bad mood. Yet is still the Mother goddess.

---

DND's alignments are weird in that... Everything I said still happens... but the game pretends it doesn't for the alignment rules.

So Zeus is still Lawful Good in spite just... smiting people for no reason and his copious amounts of well... rape.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17