Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17

Author Topic: D&D Alignment discussion  (Read 38560 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: D&D Alignment discussion
« Reply #180 on: February 25, 2016, 11:18:14 am »

Collectivism and individualism don't quite seem to fit lawful and chaotic, though. How is keeping your word a collectivist action, for instance, and how is breaking it individualistic?

And besides, most of the discussion is about either borderline cases where someone isn't sure what action is consistent with what alignment or how RAW produces unusual results. We know good is altruism and selfishness is evil, and that collectivism and individualism broadly fit law and chaos. The question is on how to categorize more unusual stuff and, possibly more importantly, how to shut down mid-game waffling on the nature of morality with clearer understanding of where goes what.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 25, 2016, 11:29:36 am »

Yeeeea, neither collectivism nor individualism correlate specifically to either lawful or chaotic. You can have collectivist chaotic characters and individualistic lawful characters, its all a matter of context. Evil cultists are a pretty common staple of collectivist minded chaotic evil characters, and individualistic lawful characters are pretty common. Any warrior that follows a personal code of conduct is a good example of a lawful individualistic character, if said code makes him individualistic, that is.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 25, 2016, 11:51:44 am »

There's also the question of people who have morals or beliefs but don't practice them, whether due to laziness, hypocrisy, or a sense of disempowerment. Like someone who has good beliefs but does evil things because they take less effort in their situation, and jump through hoops in their head to justify it.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 25, 2016, 12:02:19 pm »

(removed)
Evil isn't necessarily selfish. You can be a selfish cunt but still be considered neutral. As I stated earlier, one person was very hurt and doesn't want to let others in, but they aren't necessarily evil, especially since they want to be proven wrong that everyone is going to use them.

And I think the broad statements are like saying someone who killed over a million people is a mere murderer. There are so many niches that evil can fill that is more than just selfish. You can be doing evil things for all the right reasons and still be considered evil. Tragic villains tend to fall in this category, and their ideals are usually far from selfish, at least in seeing it from their eyes
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 01:12:40 pm by Toady One »
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 25, 2016, 12:17:27 pm »

(removed)
Evil isn't necessarily selfish. You can be a selfish cunt but still be considered neutral. As I stated earlier, one person was very hurt and doesn't want to let others in, but they aren't necessarily evil, especially since they want to be proven wrong that everyone is going to use them.

And I think the broad statements are like saying someone who killed over a million people is a mere murderer. There are so many niches that evil can fill that is more than just selfish. You can be doing evil things for all the right reasons and still be considered evil. Tragic villains tend to fall in this category, and their ideals are usually far from selfish, at least in seeing it from their eyes

Why are people so against letting other alignments be villains?

Yeah you don't want any psychopath to apply the good alignment because they are so willfully blind or outright psychotic that they believe themselves as doing the greater good.

Yet I always liked the idea that the "Evil" version of the Crusader... Is still a "Good" character.

Or rather I don't like the alignment system to be a Karmic balance that tells if the actions you take are truly good or truly evil.
---

The reason many Tragic villains are still evil in spite trying to do good. Is because they are kind of "I will plunge myself into hell itself in order to achieve these ends" and honestly I prefer to keep them Neutral a lot of the time.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 01:12:55 pm by Toady One »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #185 on: February 25, 2016, 01:13:19 pm »

(muted cochramd for 3 days for insulting people)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 25, 2016, 01:34:44 pm »

(removed)

Why are people so against letting other alignments be villains?

Yeah you don't want any psychopath to apply the good alignment because they are so willfully blind or outright psychotic that they believe themselves as doing the greater good.

Yet I always liked the idea that the "Evil" version of the Crusader... Is still a "Good" character.

Or rather I don't like the alignment system to be a Karmic balance that tells if the actions you take are truly good or truly evil.
---

The reason many Tragic villains are still evil in spite trying to do good. Is because they are kind of "I will plunge myself into hell itself in order to achieve these ends" and honestly I prefer to keep them Neutral a lot of the time.
I love that idea, but its difficult to really make it happen (for me at least)

(muted cochramd for 3 days for insulting people)
THE THREAD HAS BEEN GRACED BY THE ALMIGHTY TOAD! Though I wish it was on better tidings...

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 25, 2016, 01:45:08 pm »

TOADY SEMPAI!!!!!! TOUCH MY FACE!!!!
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 25, 2016, 01:49:54 pm »

(muted AbstractTraitorHero for 3 days for creeping out the mod)

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 25, 2016, 01:52:15 pm »

I was making a reference to fire emblem fates with the touch my face thing.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 25, 2016, 02:01:03 pm »

My buddy got really butthurt they removed that... I don't see why its such an appealing thing...

Anyways, derails aside, I'm gonna ask a question here that really makes me wonder:

What deeds do you think overstep the boundaries of chaotic neutral and it starts to travel into evil/good/lawful territory?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 25, 2016, 03:20:25 pm »

That still doesn't really help your case.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 25, 2016, 04:40:59 pm »

That still doesn't really help your case.
Eh if I'm ever gonna appear creepy it'd be on the internet where I can be sufficiently morbid/creepy though this was clearly a joke so meh.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 25, 2016, 04:51:28 pm »

Eh if I'm ever gonna appear creepy it'd be on the internet where I can be sufficiently morbid/creepy though this was clearly a joke so meh.
I'd call it Neutral Creepy :)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 25, 2016, 06:41:06 pm »

I'd call myself good creepy considering I'm ussaly a good guy.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17