Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: No Trolling Please: Is Military the most convoluted/complex in all videogames?  (Read 2981 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I was kind of thinking about it... but for the life of me other then a game where I make a robot's programming via programming via circuit boards... I cannot think of a single game that has had a more convoluted and complex mechanic in my life.

I mean there is Aurora and that can sometimes be rather obtuse with simple actions like "Go over there" yet Dwarf Fortress wins out. Then there is Archon where you had to play a game of time travel but that is technically intuitive (one of the biggest praises I can give to it... is that as complex as it is, it is intuitive).

But is there a single game that can beat Dwarf Fortress in just how the game is put together?

It would certainly make me feel better if I knew of a game that had something worse.

Well there is that fighting game where you had to control the person's body through individual parts... So there is two.

And no this isn't a flaming/trolling topic. So no trolling and flaming in this topic. If you think Dwarf Fortress is perfect then stay out of the topic.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile

I played a game where you controlled a kingdom in a conquest style fight, with 32 different resources, and could actually control it down the the individual soldier when you had thousands or millions. It was accurate and a bit hard to understand, I'd say it rivaled Dwarf Fortress in complexity, once you got down to how even individual soldiers could change an invasion.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Avin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've always felt that the bigger issue is the complexity of the user interface. If I want one specific dwarf to carry a very specific item I've got the option to do that as long as I can figure out how and have the time to do so. But when it comes to using the military it's really not much more than pick a group, equip them, train them and then point them in a direction bent on blood and cross your fingers.

The depth on the other hand, the feed back you get and the detail of the combat, is completely mind blowing.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well sort of. Just because you told them to train it doesn't mean they will train. That is where the convoluted nature pops in.

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile

Well there is that fighting game where you had to control the person's body through individual parts... So there is two.

That's Toribash.

And I'm going to say No.

Not yet.
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile

The tile doesn't seem to match the rest of the post. The title asks if military is the most convulted/compelex in all videogames, but then the post doesn't mention military at all?
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The tile doesn't seem to match the rest of the post. The title asks if military is the most convulted/compelex in all videogames, but then the post doesn't mention military at all?

Because everyone knows how convoluted/complex the military is and thus I don't have to introduce it to everyone?

I guess I could give people the run down but that would just outright leave the thread open to outright trolling. Rather then just rely on everyone already knowing what the topic is and thus there can be no disagreements at what the military is.

Trust me... This is for the best.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile

I don't get why you're so concerned about trolling. I have not seen a single troll in the approximate year I've looked at the bay12 forums regularly.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Skribbblie

• Bay Watcher
  • Dlaglunkis slugutalbis!
    • View Profile

I played a game where you controlled a kingdom in a conquest style fight, with 32 different resources, and could actually control it down the the individual soldier when you had thousands or millions. It was accurate and a bit hard to understand, I'd say it rivaled Dwarf Fortress in complexity, once you got down to how even individual soldiers could change an invasion.
Out of curiosity, what game was that?
I'm not really sure that maiming someone and forcing them to live with a crippling disability for your amusement can really be considered "merciful." Just sayin'.
Dwarven mercy.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I was kind of thinking about it... but for the life of me other then a game where I make a robot's programming via programming via circuit boards... I cannot think of a single game that has had a more convoluted and complex mechanic in my life.

I mean there is Aurora and that can sometimes be rather obtuse with simple actions like "Go over there" yet Dwarf Fortress wins out. Then there is Archon where you had to play a game of time travel but that is technically intuitive (one of the biggest praises I can give to it... is that as complex as it is, it is intuitive).

But is there a single game that can beat Dwarf Fortress in just how the game is put together?

It would certainly make me feel better if I knew of a game that had something worse.

And no this isn't a flaming/trolling topic. So no trolling and flaming in this topic. If you think Dwarf Fortress is perfect then stay out of the topic.

Sure, why not?  This kind of question comes up every time we forget that Dwarf Fortress is pre-release code.  Is the military system terribly complex?  Yes.  Is this its final form?  Unlikely.  Is it fair to compare it to the universe of finished games that have been played?  Who cares about fair, this is a forum discussion.  :)
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile

Out of curiosity, what game was that?

Reign of something. I played it a lot last year, but got bored of it.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Jigowah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Military isn't that bad once you dig into the guts of the interface and the particulars of their functions.  I'm still learning how it all works after over a year, and only recently have I dug into patrols and schedules.  It is an intimidating beast at first.

Now I understand that I can assign dwarves to a squad, equip them with exactly what I want to, and have them train, patrol and relax on a schedule.  It isn't that bad and you've already accepted the difficulty curve of DF so just learn it by experimentation and wiki, like everything else.

As other posters have said, the real pain is the convoluted interface and knowing that your best laid plans are constantly stymied by psychotic, alcohol dependent crazy people with depression issues and deadly weapons.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I almost forget that dwarves can patrol. Patrolling marksdwarf may be good hunter.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile

I'm pretty sure there's even an option in the military screen to give dwarves a uniform based on colour. But I'm scared to touch it at the risk of my entire military falling to shreds.

Calendaring and training schedules are also things that I don't like to touch. But that said, I have no problem with the military screens other functionalities. "Armour Replaces Clothing" should be enabled as default, or "Armour over clothing" should just work as specified. But at least the military is still personal and unique, and with the depth we love.

I would be disheartened if, like other games, military was just represented by a number and a plus and minus button to increase unit count to simplify it. Personally I have more difficulty with the military aspect (and most other aspects) of Crusader Kings 2, but that's because I've only put 80 hours into it and not the required 1600.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The military took some time getting used too, and the various ever-evolving bugs make for some frustrating experiences. I can understand why it's sometimes seen as the final piece of the puzzle by newer players, who leave it untouched until then have a grasp on other basics. Understanding that it sits incomplete at the moment helps alleviate my frustration.

The military screen is consistent in it's own logic, at least. By that, I mean that once you grasp the simpler of assignments and alerts you can build on that knowledge without relying on the wiki. That's something.

The majority of your interaction with the military screen can be accomplished in one go, taking no more than a few minutes even when following a guide (of which there are plenty about). After that, the training and patrolling is hands-off and if you need something specific killed than it's just as many button presses as building a door. That's quite a bit less convoluted than a few other games who's entire purpose is simulating warfare. I never really feel bogged down managing my DF squads, whereas commanding hundreds of different units in any of the Paradox games can sometimes feel like it's more work than it's worth.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: [1] 2