Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Map features change after settling?  (Read 1142 times)

Morlark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Morlark's Blog
Map features change after settling?
« on: December 07, 2007, 03:52:00 am »

Earlier I was messing around in Adventure mode and I found an interesting cave. The giant cave spiders inhabiting the place weren't too pleased, and promptly killed me. I decided to try settling the area in Fortress mode. I checked to make sure that everything was the same as I had last seen it, and sure enough it was. A short while later I started getting some insanely low FPS, so I checked the error log to see if something was spamming pathing errors. The error log said it was a giant, and sure enough a visiting giant had appeared, and was systematically killing off the inhabitants of the cave. While I was taking a second look around this cave, I happened to notice that the cave entrance was no longer there. Specifically, a murky pool had appeared on top of it, blocking access to the entrance ramp. Additionally, the hollowed out circle in the ground that surrounded the ramp (or the bits of it that weren't covered in water anyway) had mysteriously filled themselves back in.

Is this supposed to happen? Are new map features like murky pools supposed to spontaneously appear after worldgen/settling?

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
Re: Map features change after settling?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 03:54:00 am »

I've had forests recede and other strange things happen when trying to reclaim a settlement I abandoned. I guess the passage of time does make a difference in game.
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Morlark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Morlark's Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 06:56:00 am »

Hmm, that giant got caught wrestling with a giant rat, so a giant cave spider and an antman decided to gang up on him. After an epic wrestling match (lasting several months) the giant finally died. I was quite surprised at the result, since the giant cave spider was already exhausted when I noticed it had joined the fight. Unfortunately, my gem cutter has just gone secretive, and I have no gems. Worse still, I'm on an aquifer map with no stone layers above the aquifer. The only way I can possibly get gems is by breaching the cave, which seems to be mysteriously aquifer-proof, but I'm not nearly ready to venture into there yet.

ZrO4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 07:23:00 am »

use your soon to be beserk gem cutter to help clear it out

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 09:45:00 am »

I had something similar happen once.  In adventurer mode, I found a location that had both a cave and a ruin in close proximity and could be settled if you extended the width a few tiles.  I thought "Huh, this might be interesting".

So I went and set up a fortress there.  A short while after I started, the game slowed down to a crawl.  Then I got a message that "a section of cavern has collapsed" and it auto-centers on the now destroyed ruins.  There are limestone blocks scattered all over the landscape, which are visible both above and below ground (even in areas that I normally wouldn't be able to see).  I look around and notice that a lot, but not all, of the tree and bush tiles have turned into red T's and S's.  Then, when I tried to find the cave entrance, I find that it's turned into just another block of land with the rest of the cave still being accessable.

I gave up on it (there were something like 2.5 screens worth of giant cave spiders on the unit list *shudder*), though I should've probably saved a copy of the game and put it up in the bug reports.

Morlark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Morlark's Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 10:30:00 am »

Sigh... I drafted my woodcutter and sent him out to kill some horses for meat. Unfortunately, one of the horses proved to be a bit tougher than the others, and managed to mangle my woodcutter's upper body. He was just getting some well deserved rest when he gets possessed, and starts demanding... you guessed it, rough gems. Seems I'm destined never to get a successful mood in this fortress. Ah well, it's not like he was going to heal anyway. Shame he also happens to be my expedition leader, with a decent smattering of social skills built up already.

Morlark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Morlark's Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 11:16:00 am »

Oh dear... My former expedition leader, now reduced to a babbling wreck, has gone into the clerk's bedroom and started taking off all his clothes in front of her. Ooh err...