Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: (SG) Please Drink Responsibly.  (Read 12261 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) Please Drink Responsibly.
« Reply #165 on: October 21, 2015, 04:46:13 pm »

We should go explore our home town.  No need to hunt yet.  We have 8/10 bp. 

As for guns, the minimum age to legally own a gun is 18.  We are the age of a teenager.  We do not have any id that would allow us to get one legally.  We can still get them from a private seller, who buys the gun in their name and then gives it to us.  The legality of that is ambiguous, but if we want one, we can get one.
Meh.
Invest in legal means of self-defense, perhaps.  Can we fight properly?  We should learn if we don't already know.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 21, 2015, 06:40:31 pm »

We should go explore our home town.  No need to hunt yet.  We have 8/10 bp. 

As for guns, the minimum age to legally own a gun is 18.  We are the age of a teenager.  We do not have any id that would allow us to get one legally.  We can still get them from a private seller, who buys the gun in their name and then gives it to us.  The legality of that is ambiguous, but if we want one, we can get one.
Meh.
Invest in legal means of self-defense, perhaps.  Can we fight properly?  We should learn if we don't already know.

There'll be a map of the town of Fawcett up in a bit. You have no combat skills to speak of - and learning takes a while. The format of the game will eventually move to a form where you can set aside time to learn skills, but the timeframe is still moving too fast for that at the moment.

Nunzillor

« Reply #167 on: October 21, 2015, 07:01:16 pm »

What legal forms of self-defense would you guys recommend?  Also, why is legal better?  The law wasn't really created to govern this type of situation.  My thought is we can just walk up to the gun salesman and nudge him into giving it to us.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 07:04:28 pm by Nunzillor »

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 21, 2015, 07:31:47 pm »

We should learn martial arts.  With superhuman agility we should be excellent at it. 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 07:49:47 pm by alamoes »

Nunzillor

« Reply #169 on: October 21, 2015, 08:42:32 pm »

That sounds reasonable.  Why not do some research on what martial arts studios are in the area?  Night classes only, naturally.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 21, 2015, 08:49:20 pm »

What legal forms of self-defense would you guys recommend?  Also, why is legal better?  The law wasn't really created to govern this type of situation.  My thought is we can just walk up to the gun salesman and nudge him into giving it to us.
Legal is better for NOT GETTING ARRESTED.  Geez.

+1 to Nunzillor's suggestion of martial arts.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Lermfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 21, 2015, 10:23:58 pm »

Legal is better for NOT GETTING ARRESTED.  Geez.

+1 to Nunzillor's suggestion of martial arts.
As a martial artist, might I suggest Krav Maga, Akido, Shotokan, or one of the -jitsu styles? With our added strength and durability we won't need guns too much.

+1

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 23, 2015, 05:38:14 am »

Right, you think to yourself, now that I'm home, what's next?

Well, other Thomas interjects, you could probably go looking for your friends next, right?

Yeah, you agree with yourself, that's right. But I should see my dad first. And we need to defeat Sunglasses Man. He's probably the biggest threat to us.

“We do?” Thomas asks.

“Yeah. Can we, uh, talk in my head? Only it'll disturb my family...” you say, while going through the learned motions of making your mother a cup of tea. You fill the electric kettle from the sink and flick the lever on the back.

“Ugh. It's headache inducing, trying to talk in there.”
he complains.

Yeah, well, I don't think they need to be any more freaked out by this, you think.

Fiiiiine, he thinks. So we're gonna take down Sunglasses?

Yeah, you respond. First, we need to collect some more resources in town, I think. Maybe learn some martial arts or something.

Uh, okay, but that will take a while, and we'll need to find night classes, Thomas thinks.

“Okay, what about buying a gun?” you accidentally say aloud, as you lift the boiling kettle over a mug. You give up. It requires too much concentration to try and talk in your thoughts. As you open up a canister along the top shelf, grab a tea bag and flick it into the mug, Other Thomas responds.

“Could work. I suppose. At the very least a shotgun blast could piss him off, and he's already pissed off. But how do we get it?”

“Three day waiting period, and we'd probably have to go in the evening, and we're kinda a missing person...I don't know. Maybe we can get dad to get it for us?”

“Mm. Could work. And we can pay for it with the money we lifted from our pal Earl.”

You take a spoon and poke the teabag viciously a couple of times to force the tea-stuff out into the water, take the hot mug and go back into the living room, where your mother and brother are still sitting on the couch with worried expressions. You hand her the cup of tea, which seems to confuse her a little.

“Thomas,” she asks, “Were you talking to yourself in the kitchen?”

“Yep.” you tell her.

“...Why?”

“Side effect of the vampire thing. Helps me think straight.”

You can tell she's afraid to say this, but she summons her courage. “You said 'we', like you were talking to someone.”

“Yeah.” you admit. “I sorta have, I guess, two personalities that talk to each other. Me, and, uh, other Thomas.”

“Hi.” he says.

Your mother ushers your little brother upstairs and faces you once he's hiding in his room. Her expression is totally serious.

“What are you?”

“Just an aspect of Thomas's personality. With a voice. That's all.”

“You're a devil, aren't you? You're possessing my son.” she says. With almost total certainty. It's a little unsettling.

“Well,” Thomas says, spreading his hands, “First, no. Second, no. Third, if you don't believe me – I've always been here. Since Thomas here was smart enough to employ critical thinking, actually. You ever read Pratchett? No, of course not – he had to go over to his friends house to read that stuff. And it did get very formulaic, so you're not missing too much.”

“What are you saying?”

“I'm saying that Thomas here has always carried me around in his head, a name, one he could attach to 'bad thoughts.' Compartmentalization. Good Thomas was the good christian, the one who fully believes, obeys his parents, the whole sober lifestyle, ten commandments nonsense.”

You wince, and she scowls. “And you're the evil side of my son, is that what you're saying?”

“Haha, that's what he called me. Bad Thomas. I call myself Good Thomas and called him Dumb Thomas, but the beautiful thing about me is that I'm allowed to change my position when presented with evidence, eh heh heh heh! Turns out I really had to eat my words in the end – it turns out he was right!”

“You're babbling, and making no sense.” she says. Her arms are crossed, there's the death glare, the whole image of the parent about to freak out at you. “You're not my son, you're a devil or, or something else, and you've taken control of my son.”

“So what, are you saying I'm lying? Can't be doing that. It's one of the rules.”

“Oh, so you have rules? Really?” she asks incredulously. “You're just a part of my son, is that what you're saying?”

“Well, the whole being turned into a vampire thing kinda fucked up our brain a little.”
Thomas explains. “But yes, that's pretty much the whole story. I don't really have anything else to add.”

There's an incredibly awkward silence. You stand there as your mother paces back and forth, biting her nails.

“So. Uhhh...Can I stay here?”

She looks at you with an expression of mixed anger, confusion, sympathy. Wringing her hands, she shakes her head.

“Yes, I guess so.”

“Thanks. Also, don't open up our room during the day, all right? It'll be bad.”

She nods. “Fine.”

“It's me. I'm back. I'm damaged, but it's gonna be okay.” you tell her, patting her on the shoulder. You can tell she doesn't really feel that's the truth. “Drink your tea. Relax a minute.”

You go up the stairs, taking your shoes and coat off at the bottom. Your room is pretty much as you left it: clean, organized. Your school textbooks and binders on your desk, a little laptop gathering dust, a phone charger plugged into the wall. You've always disliked the wallpaper in your room; horizontal white and powder blue stripes. The bed is made up. The window's curtains are partially open and the strange red star is visible in the sky. You open up the bedroom closet and take out a thick wool blanket and run it over the curtain rod. That will help, at least. More linens shoved around the side help, but it's not perfect. And if it gets nudged it'll fall down.

You leave your room, go back down the stairs and open the cupboard under the stairs, grab a roll of duct tape and go back up. Your mother doesn't say anything to you, but she's sitting on the couch sipping her tea.

The duct tape helps hold the linen in place. You apply a layer around the edge of the window, test it for durability with a nudge, then apply another layer. It seems like it will hold. Then you sit back on your bed, which sinks into it's familiar dent to accommodate you.

“Right.” you say. “That could have gone better.”

“Sorry.”

"Are you deliberately trying to sabotage my relationship with my family?"

"...No. I just...I thought you didn't want to lie to them."

"I guess. But you should have done it, I dunno, better."

"All right, fuck, next time I'll move heaven and earth, okay?"

“Whatever. Now, we're home, our parents know we're okay, I guess we need to see my dad, just so he knows. Mom will call him. And then...Then we have to go find the others. And deal with Sunglasses...I think the Bishop guy called him Jack.”

“All right, how do we deal with Jack guy?”

“Don't know. We went over this in the kitchen. I'll get some stuff together, like weapons and stuff. I really don't know. We'll have to figure it out as we go.”

“Okay. Actually, what about holy water?”

“You think that will work?”

“If he's evil. Just an idea.”

“Okay, well, maybe I'll add it to the list. Oh, and a way to get around better. Like a bicycle. Or, oh, I guess we need to drive. A car.”

“We can't drive.”

“We'll have to learn.”

“Fair enough.”

“First, though...I should plan what to do tomorrow night...”

You slide off the bed, pick up your computer and put it to one side. Then you take out some stationary and try and sketch out a picture of the clues. And a map of town with locations you think might be relevant. And a to-do list of sorts.

Spoiler: Conspiracy Web (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Middle State Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Supply checklist (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fawcett map and legend (click to show/hide)

After all this satisfying preparation, you glance at the alarm clock by the side of your bed and see it's getting on for morning. You grab the comforter from the bed, wrap it around yourself in a makeshift cocoon, and roll under the bed.

What will you do tomorrow night?>_

Spoiler: Your inventory: (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Powers: (click to show/hide)

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 23, 2015, 09:45:04 pm »

I'm worried of the state of our hiding place.  Our mother can be dangerous.  She is the best human contact we have so far, but I don't trust her.  And can we ask bad Thomas not to swear in family's presence?  It'll put them off, which is dangerous to our survival as they control our fate while we sleep.   

I think we should go hit up dad's place, or at least call him.  There is time for shenanigans I have planned later. 

Nunzillor

« Reply #174 on: October 24, 2015, 02:45:29 am »

I'd be open to meeting the dad.  He, along with the drug money, would be our ticket to a gun anyway, should we eventually decide to get one.  Couldn't imagine him being any less shocked though. 

It might also be interesting to ask around at The Office about what happened the day we disappeared.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 02:52:49 am by Nunzillor »

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 30, 2015, 03:40:37 am »

When you wake up, you're pretty sure it's late afternoon. Just after the sun's gone down. You roll out from underneath the bed, hop to your feet and adjust your clothes in the mirror. You feel pretty good. Doesn't take you any time to wake up at all. It's like flipping a switch from off to on. You could get used to this.

Actually, come to think of it, you've been wearing the same clothes for a while, and they're a little grungy. You take a minute to change, which is a little bit of a relief. You toss the old clothes on the edge of your bed and leave your room.

You almost collide with your sister. Alicia's a little younger than you, second year of high school, and she's apparently pretty pleased to see you, since she hugs you on the spot.

“What happened to you?” she asks. You shrug. “Long story.”

She holds you for a little while. “Glad you're okay.” she concludes, head buried in your shoulder.

“Thanks. You doing all right?”

“...Yeah.”

This all is a little surprising to you, since you normally didn't get along very well. She breaks off the hug and tells you “Dad's downstairs. Dinner's going to be ready soon.” You wonder if your mother or brother told her what happened. For that matter, you wonder why she isn't nervous the way other people are about the vampirism thing. Maybe it only affects certain people. The Ives didn't seem to care. Earl wasn't nervous around you, at least not like prey.

You go to the kitchen. Your father is there, sitting and reading a book off to one corner. Your mother is making dinner. Their body language is a little odd, like they aren't as comfortable with each other as they were before you left. Your dad is dressed a little shabbily, but he's clean shaven and his hair is combed. Something is cooking in the oven, and it smells like some sort of poultry. Your heightened sense of smell makes it an unpleasant experience.

“Tom!”

Your dad puts the book down and gets up to hug you. Apparently he's not nervous about the vampire thing either.

“You, uh, you all right?” he asks.

“Uh, yeah, I'm all right.” you tell him.

“Your mother told me something...a little...weird.” he concludes.

“The, uh, vampire thing?” you ask.

“Is it...?”

“Yeah.” you shrug. “Pretty much.”

“Oh.” he says. He seems totally taken aback. You notice your sister watching you talk from the living room. She seems just as baffled as he does.

“So what happened?” he asks.

“Uh.” you struggle for words as you sit at the kitchen table. “I...I'm not totally clear on that. My memory's a bit damaged from when it happened. What I've sort of figured out is that, well, my friends and I went to a Christmas party out at The Office, and then some, uh, bad vampires kidnapped us?”

“Bad vampires kidnapped you?” he asks, incredulous.

“Yeah, pretty much. I heard them talking. They have a game where they kidnap a set of people and the strongest one gets to become one of them or something, at least that's what I thought he meant.”

“So how did you get away from them?”

“Dunno. Woke up in a strange house. And, uh, then they tried to kidnap me again, only I got away.”

“And you came here?”

“Right.”

“How did they turn you into a vampire?” he asks.

“Fucked if I know.” would be your first answer, but that would upset them, so you settle for a shrug. “I can't remember.”

“Anyways, I'm sure you have like a million questions for me. But I gotta get a few ground things established with you, if that's okay?”

You gesture at your mother to make sure she knows that she's included in this, and you beckon at your sister who is clearly eavesdropping to just come and join the conversation.

“First, I need to know you still trust me, and that I can trust you all to, uh, not expose me to the police or put my life in danger any other way. To leave me undisturbed during the day. Can you promise me that?”

You don't nudge their wills. Your sister and father nod unhesitatingly, but your mother hesitates for a moment before nodding.

“Swear to God?” you ask. Your parents wince, but both of them nod.

“We promise.” they tell you.

“All right. Second, I-”

“Aw heck.” your dad says. “George knows you're here, but he doesn't know about the whole, uh, thing with the...”

This complicates things. George is your Dad's best friend, attends the same church, friend since high school, etcetera. You guess that after your parents had some sort of fight your dad had been staying with him. But if he knows...

Your dad takes out his phone and tells you that he'll ask George not to say anything, but you know that it's probably too late. He tends to be awkwardly loud on social media, and probably made some sort of gushing announcement about how glad he is you've returned home and how marvelous the power of prayer is, etcetera, etcetera.

Your dad asks him not to say anything. George apologizes for already having made some sort of post in exactly the nature you predicted. What throws you for a loop is that your dad reports that George reports that somehow it's gone.

“Gone?” you ask.

“Yeah.” your dad tells you. “Like it was never there. It was up, but then it wasn't.”

“That's concerning.”

“Yes, but, uh, it's a good thing for us, right? Probably just a lucky bug in the system.”

“Right. Well. Not the priority right now. I'm gonna go out. I'm going to The Office, where it all started. See if I can find some clues.”

“What? Clues?” your mother asks.

“Yeah. About how my friends got taken.”

Her response is exasperated. “But, why are you getting involved in this again? You've just escaped from the, uh, bad vampires...There's still so much that needs explaining.”

“Look, I have, uh, sort of insider information. Information the cops can't have, or wouldn't use right... Also. I need something to do.”

“Something to do?”

Everyone looks a little dumbfounded, but eventually your sister pipes up.

“Right...If you can't, um, go out in the sun any more, and if you're staying missing...I guess that means you can't go to school any more. Or go to church. Or college...”

“I'll try not to shed any tears about that.” you smirk.

“Shit!” your father proclaims. “It's all, just, so much to take in. How are you going to...?”

“We'll figure it out as we go. Don't worry. For now, I wanna go to The Office, see if I can find anything there.”

“Won't they recognize you there?”

“In my current state? Doubt it. Bit pale, unshaven, and ever so slightly less doe eyed. Shouldn't really be an issue, I think.”

They look kinda defeated.

“So...Heh. You wanna give me a drive up to The Office?” you ask.

“All right.” your father says. “I'll drive you after supper?”

“Sounds good.”

- - -

So, you're going to The Office first. Any other errands? Gun: yes/no?
What next? >_

Spoiler: Your inventory: (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Powers: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Conspiracy Web (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Middle State Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Supply checklist (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fawcett map and legend (click to show/hide)

Lermfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 31, 2015, 12:15:38 am »

Let's get some defence/weapons and some transporation before we even THINK about heading back to "The Office". I would say to fulfil the entire list, but I know ADD is rampant in my generation so the aforementioned two will have to suffice.

Nunzillor

« Reply #177 on: October 31, 2015, 12:24:11 am »

Let's get some defence/weapons and some transporation before we even THINK about heading back to "The Office". I would say to fulfil the entire list, but I know ADD is rampant in my generation so the aforementioned two will have to suffice.
Fine, fine.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]