Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange Mood Bollocks  (Read 1320 times)

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
Strange Mood Bollocks
« on: July 13, 2015, 10:38:27 pm »

So, recently, one of my engravers went on a strange mood and is now in the clothier shop demanding for stacked cloth. It wouldn't be a problem, except that i don't have any. It's spring and i have no pig tails, the caverns are too dangerous for sending my dwarves to gather webs, specially after that Giant Bat attack that crippled my miner so hard she's in bed until now.

It looked like it was all lost, untill...elven caravan! Yaay! I sent my broker there along with some Giant Bat bone crafts encrusted with marble. I was so happy. And from that day i sweared i would never drop the elves in the menacing spike pit of doom. I opened the trade window and...wait, where is the CLOTH?! Oh crap, that engraver is probably going insane. Any tips?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 10:42:39 pm by Magnumcannon »

Skribbblie

• Bay Watcher
  • Dlaglunkis slugutalbis!
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Mood Bollocks
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 10:45:29 pm »

Well first of all, kill the elves, you hippie.

After that... errr, have you tried collecting plants outside and PRAYING for someone to pick some rope reeds or hemp? Assuming you aren't on a glacier or in a lifeless desert?
I'm not really sure that maiming someone and forcing them to live with a crippling disability for your amusement can really be considered "merciful." Just sayin'.
Dwarven mercy.

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 10:50:36 pm »

Actually, i did this. I'm still waiting for results, but it think it's unlikely i will get anything from it. I highly doubt those lazy-ass gatherers will eve- oh wait

Nevermind...

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 11:04:00 pm »

Oh, forget it, the shithead isn't doing anything with the rope reed thread. Just looked on the wiki and it seems that "stacked cloth" doesn't specify the kind of cloth, so it can be silk, yarn, plant fiber. I won't give shit to this smelly earthworm, i'll just lock his secretive ass in the clothier workshop, build a coffin and wait him to die off.

Thank you for the help, though.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 05:22:05 am »

You may have to weave the thread into cloth at a loom first.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 11:58:48 am »

+1 - Altho' some dwarves may want a specific type of fabric, "thread" is not "cloth", so you haven't given him a chance yet (going by what you wrote).

And you have a while - mount a military invasion of the caverns, and gather some silk behind that push, delaying other efforts for that short while. Once you have a couple silk threads, pull everyone back out to normal duties and weave that too - even if this one doesn't need it, someone else may sooner or later.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 12:06:02 pm »

Yeah, for one of my first cloth-needing moods, I had to do a surgical strike on the caverns, walling them up immediately after. Got a 70,000 dwarfbuck artifact, though, so not entirely worthless.
One wheel short of a wagon

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 03:26:43 pm »

He went insane (Melancholy) and died shortly after by dehydration. He is now buried in Ramparthelm's crypt. Thankfully, he didn't have any friends, so no one really cared about his death.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 03:53:28 pm »

Sounds like a self-solving problem to me.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Camulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 07:39:10 pm »

I do hope ye learnt yer lesson ye elf admiring hipdwarve.
Save yer hemp next time, stop smoking the whole damned stockpile.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 05:16:10 am »

In my experience, generally they absolutely must have the cloth type you don't have.  Spin the wool/hair/whatever of any slaughtered animals into yarn, process any rope reed/hemp/flax/pig tail into thread, and let your weaver go into the caverns to get all the possible types of cloth (cloth, yarn cloth, silk cloth).  Otherwise, whichever one you don't have... "but I neeeeeed it!!"
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 06:10:23 am »

The standard embark profile has five pig tail threads and five rolls of pig tail cloth. You can simply remove the woven cloth and take five each yarn and silk threads. This way, you'll be set for cloth-demanding moods even before the first caravan, although you might want to take ready-woven cloth instead of the threads, because building a loom and keeping a dwarf off hauling for three days is _way_ too much effort :P The dwarven caravan always brings thread (plant, yarn and silk) and often woven cloth as well. They also bring raw green glass, which should allow glassmaker moods to succeed if you lack sand (but glassmaker moods on sandless embarks are kind of silly, they'll give no real benefit apart from the artefact).