Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why my hunter don't want to butcher any animal  (Read 2088 times)

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why my hunter don't want to butcher any animal
« on: July 13, 2015, 02:33:14 pm »

Hi all!

Why my hunter don't want to butcher any of the killed animals?

You can download the save file from here -- https://www.dropbox.com/s/125irx3wfdbmo44/region1.zip?dl=0

Thanks in advance.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Why my hunter don't want to butcher any animal
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 02:37:28 pm »

Basic checklist.

1) You need a dead animal that is large enough to be cut for meat, killed by a dwarf from your fort, or a live one marked for slaughter.

2) You need a butchers workshop, and a stockpile nearby set to accept animal corpses.

3) You need a dwarf with butchery enabled.

The rest should take care of itself. You are on you own though for dealing with the meat, refuse and other useful products for now. :P
This is a blank sig.

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 02:44:43 pm »

1) You need a dead animal that is large enough to be cut for meat, killed by a dwarf from your fort, or a live one marked for slaughter.
Weasel and giant weasel, for example.

2) You need a butchers workshop
Yep.

a stockpile nearby set to accept animal corpses
It it required?

3) You need a dwarf with butchery enabled
Yep.

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 03:22:40 pm »

I have a stockpile for corpses but it's not for use by my butcher generally. If you have hunters, you will want one so they don't leave the corpse out in the field to rot, but even in a stockpile, there's a chance it'll rot before the butcher can get to it. (Meaning they won't be able to butcher it. Make sure the corpse in question is not rotten already.)

I only slaughter domesticated animals, though, and their bodies never hit the stockpile. Butcher slaughters it, tans the hide and the the meat and everything else is carted off to the appropriate places.

So the short answer is no, the stockpile is not needed, but might make your life easier if you have multiple corpses to butcher.

Try turning off all other labors except Butcher on that dwarf. He might be busy with other things. Alternatively, give more than one dwarf the butcher skill. I usually have two butchers. Just in case one is busy. These guys like to do everything but what you want them to do sometimes. :3
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 03:27:14 pm by Wheeljack »

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 03:27:23 pm »

Try turning off all other labors except Butcher on that dwarf. He might be busy with other things
Nope, he has no job atm.

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 03:39:14 pm »

Okay, two things I noticed after downloading your save.

You have a flock of giant wren harassing your dwarves and interrupting their work. The second thing is your hunter is still trying to hunt but is out of ammunition.

Killing the flock with DFHack and turning off the hunting skill, allowed your Hunter to butcher the corpses with no problems.

If you don't want to cheat, I would suggest moving your butcher shop underground with a stockpile so the Wren can't interrupt him constantly. Be aware they may try to fly underground, and could still be a nuisance, but they will be less so.

Hope this helps!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 05:52:48 pm »

Typical dwarf fortress problem solved: dwarves unable to work as they prefer protesting about to hunt unarmed to working in safety, meanwhile giant birds are screwing everything up.
One wheel short of a wagon