Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Author Topic: LFP Lets learn 5th edition together! Princes of the Apocalypse! 3/6 Players  (Read 11278 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, that's a minion focused Necro. Don't forget, you could play a Necro that doesn't use many minions, but instead casts necromantic spells. That said, a Death Domain Cleric would probably be better.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Yeah, that's why I didn't flat out say "Do not play a Necro." They get a bit of a boost to their non-undead spells, even if most of their school is gimped by being attached to one of the most restrictive skillsets in 5e.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

Re:Minion Necro Weak Necro
That is what houserules are for, guys, in any case.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

So if I ever wanted to play something in the vein of a necromancer I'd probably be better off playing a warlock?

Come to think of it, wasn't the Dread Necromancer in 3.5e a weird sort of warlock itself? And the warlock itself could get its hands on a pretty nice variation of Animate Dead?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

While I will still assert that Evocation is better than you think...

Necromancy yeah has some issues. Command undead is about the only way you get a good undead under your control and while taking an undead beholder is priceless, it isn't likely to happen. (I am surprised the bonuses to Animate dead doesn't include an extra undead under your command)

But still I'd have to see it in action.

Since Level 6 you essentially have four skeletons with arrows for what amounts to four extra attacks a round for the cost of one spell.

Also yes there are a lot of options that are POSSIBLE for animate dead that could "fix" Necromancy builds such as
1) Armor and weapons (The easiest option)
2) Using the "Undead" and "Skeleton" alterations on the creature in question (Harder and a metric ton more powerful)

---

Also no Harry nothing replaces what a Necromancer does... if only because a Necromancer's summons last indefinitely.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Which is ultimately the main problem with necromancy in 5e: they don't. You have to recast every bloody day to keep them under control. And you can't get much in the way of interesting undead, just the handful of types the rules allow, so you lose out on a lot of utility -- it also loses the charm of being able to raise a bunch of the random stuff your party kills.

Fair enough with Evocation. I still think it's not nearly good enough to be worth taking in comparison to other options, but relative to 3.5/PF there is a much smaller gap between Evocation vs. anything else for Wizards, mostly due to the new mechanic for concentration and limited spells making it more difficult to do the same BC/buff/debuff shenanigans you could manage. 3.5/PF was "If you want to blast, don't play a Wizard," while 5e is more "If you want to blast, I guess you could play a Wizard?"

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Minion Necro: You could also take a three level dip into Paladin, for the Oathbreaker Channel Divinity, which essentially lets you control one undead creature of a CR lower than your level.

I'm afraid I am going to have to drop out for a few weeks, due to traveling, family and the like. I might be able to rejoin in September. I shall see.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

Update on making next session:
May or may not, because even under normal circumstances, travelling happens during 5ish to 6ish (front end of the session) for about half an hour.  Will, however, try and get that pushed forward so I can be around and not have to duck out randomly.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile

Well, today's hour is very much not practical for me. So, may not actually join if it's a regular thing.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I don't think we've ever actually started at 7est... it's normally 5est when we start.  But otherwise yes that's the regular thing as that is indeed what the op says, starting 4-7 on sunday.
Nom nom nom

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

Blaugh.  I kind of am travelling right smack in the middle of that block.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 12:36:18 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

Is the session in session, or is there still time? 
Sigtext

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

well we kinda quit cause there wasn't enough people here to do the session without it being fucking stupid.  Also wizards got nerfed to fucking hell, and now suck so much.
Nom nom nom

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

Also wizards got nerfed to fucking hell, and now suck so much.
???
Sorcerer YEAH.
What happinged?
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14