Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Iron is magma-safe!  (Read 4500 times)

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Iron is magma-safe!
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2007, 07:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by SquashMonster:
Oh, and is it safe to put grates over magma?
Yes, i believe so.

Just be aware that in later versions, floor grates and bars will allow small items to fall through; if someone dies on floor bars and they have small items like rings worn, they can fall through and be destroyed in the lava -- not good for masterpeices!
Thankfully, that doesn't happen in 33d.

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2007, 07:40:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Vengeful Donut:
I had bars made of ashes hold up in magma.

That's hilarious. I wonder what other completely random magma-safe materials there are? Leather? Fire imp bones?

We need a "kevlar-weed" to make fireproof cloth out of...

Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2007, 08:33:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by grelphy:
<STRONG>That's hilarious. I wonder what other completely random magma-safe materials there are? Leather? Fire imp bones?</STRONG>

Most leather, I don't think so, but fire imps have [LEATHER_HEATDAM_POINT:13000], [LEATHER_IGNITE_POINT:13500], and [BONE_HEATDAM_POINT:14000]. Of course, they also have [BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD] and aren't tamable, so there's no way to get fire imp leather.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2007, 01:46:00 am »

That's kind of a shame.  I like the idea of using fire imp leather to deal with heat problems...

Maybe we could mod in another creature with fireproof leather.  Actually, fire snakes could be a good idea...  just make them butcherable and give them leather.  Or some sort of fire lizards, if you would prefer to add a new creature...  fire lizard leather sounds like a good name for fireproof leather equipment.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Scorpios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2007, 01:48:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Aquillion:
<STRONG>That's kind of a shame.  I like the idea of using fire imp leather to deal with heat problems...

Maybe we could mod in another creature with fireproof leather.  Actually, fire snakes could be a good idea...  just make them butcherable and give them leather.  Or some sort of fire lizards, if you would prefer to add a new creature...  fire lizard leather sounds like a good name for fireproof leather equipment.</STRONG>

Can't you get (currently) useless extracts from firesnakes?
Added a tanner and a new update and suddenly, any type of leather can be fireproof.

find that I identify forum goers more by their signatures than anything else.
That being said, I should probably think of something witty to put here.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2007, 03:09:00 pm »

Or dragonskin, of course.  At the moment they just have standard flesh, but there's no reason they shouldn't give heatproof leather, since they're fireimmune themselves.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2007, 04:16:00 pm »

And so the legendary dwarven miner struck the warm rock with his (-steel pick-), confident in the fireproof properties of his ≡Fire Imp Leather Thong≡ to protect him from the magma beyond...

:p

Geofferic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2007, 09:33:00 pm »

I don't suppose things made of Ice are magma proof?

I'd love it if they were.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2007, 01:32:00 am »

I am fairly (but not 100%) sure cave spider silk items are fireproof, though if they get hot enough they will degrade fairly rapidly which is almost as bad.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2007, 05:28:00 am »

Fireproof Leather Goggles.
THE GOGGLES THEY DO NOTHING!!
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2007, 05:57:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Keilden:
<STRONG>Fireproof Leather Goggles.
THE GOGGLES THEY DO NOTHING!!</STRONG>

On the contrary, they work exactly as advertised, protecting your eyes from fire and ash.

...they just won't stop the dwagon from melting the rest of your face off.   ;)

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2007, 03:33:00 pm »

I believe magma diving was referenced in another thread; perhaps fireproof magma-proof diving suits cooled with water might be a requirement...
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.
Pages: 1 [2]