Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15

Author Topic: From The Ashes-Episode 1:Chap 5:In the Dark  (Read 11538 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Shut it down.
Barging forwards towards the access door, leaving bloody footprints behind yourself you quickly punch in the access code and the door swings open before you.  Your hair fries off in an instant leaving you bald and largely blind as you stumble forwards into the blinding light of a miniature sun.  For just a second you think you see something moving behind you but you continue to charge across the rubberized walk-way.  Somehow, through sheer luck more than anything you reach the controls to shut down the reactor though it's hard to see what is what, and you seem to think that your skin is attempting to crawl away. 

A few minutes later as you are desperately fiddling with the controls, you feel a strange throb and then the room goes impossibly dark.  You are lifted from your feet for a few seconds before you realize that the reactor's fusion ball just collapsed into a miniature anomaly into which you are sucked.  The crushing sensation is extremely brief as your very existence is reduced to a fraction of it's original size before the very atoms are crushed together into entirely new elements.

-You are extremely dead.

I know enough about nuclear physics that if this place is going up, there is no rescue. I'm out of here, and you all are welcome to come with me. I should still have a storage unit on the other side of the city. It was my out in case anything went wrong. Never got to use it... Anyhow, stay come, whichever, but make up your mind fast.

John then walks briskly for the exit.
You go to leave through the exit as a strange creature scuttles into the doorway.  It appears to be a man-like being with additional joints in both arms and legs that allows it to scuttle around on all fours incredibly fast.  You notice that it seems to have rusted butchers blades taped to it's forearms as it crouches down into a ball and hisses at you.  Just as you start to back up the creature notices some blood on the floor in the shape of a foot-print at which it likes with a long forked tongue.  One of it's eye-balls rotates to glare at you as the creature scurries away after the bloody trail in a horrific flailing motion like a ball of gelatin rolling down the stairs.

You turn to talk to the others in the group about this event as you realize that none of them were looking towards the exit, and so to avoid making yourself seem incredibly crazy you simply ignore it and lead the way out of the facility, carefully taking the opposite way that the creature went.

It doesn't take long for you and the others to find your way back out as it was a relatively small research lab in the first place and soon you've reached the door-way to the outside world:For continuation please see group information at bottom of turn.
-20 mental stability:Slightly cracked
"Hey, wait for me!" Ox grabs up Carl the rat and follows the others.
With the proffer of bread, that the rat doesn't seem to have ever even seen before it is exceptionally easy to pick it up and carry it with you.  As you carry the creature you notice that it seems to have thumbs which allows it to hold the sandwich like a normal person as it eats happily, and after a few seconds a secondary set of arms come out from underneath the fur under it's forearms arm-pits.  It uses these arms to pick apart the sandwich before inspecting each piece as it chews on the bread, and after watching it for a few moments you start to get the rather strange feeling that it's a lot smarter than an average rat.

Following along after the man who claims to be a 'collector' you and the others soon find their way out of the facility:see rest of info at group turn info on bottom:

"Mind if I take a look at that canteen?"
"Sure, it has a foul odor coming from it anyways." she says as she hands it to him.

I know enough about nuclear physics that if this place is going up, there is no rescue. I'm out of here, and you all are welcome to come with me. I should still have a storage unit on the other side of the city. It was my out in case anything went wrong. Never got to use it... Anyhow, stay come, whichever, but make up your mind fast.

John then walks briskly for the exit.
John is right, it would be suicidal to even attempt to stop it at this stage, best to get away and find suitable shelter from the blast. Annis thinks to herself before noticing john walking away. "I'm coming!" rushing after john.
You rush after John but manage to notice something as Ox picks up the rat that he is referring to as Carl, Carl seems to have a small metal band on it's left hind-leg that bears the company logo that your parents used to work for and it seems to be rather new as the metal shows little wear or rust.  Regardless of this fact you hurry after John and soon arrive outside the facility:see group turn at bottom:

Gar follows. If he has a chance, he examines the canteens contents.

((Ah, kilakan, for things like apartments/storage units/whatnot, do you want to determine everything or do you want us to talk to you and tell you the sorts of things that would be in them?))
You follow along sniffing at the contents of the canteen and manage to deduce that it appears to be 175 year old rum, approximately a litre of it.  The very smell makes your mouth water involuntarily regardless of if you personally like rum though you realize that extremely high proof liquor would also make excellent antiseptic and is probably flammable at this point as well.  Regardless you tie the canteen to your belt as now is neither the time to light things on fire, nor the time to get drunk.  Within a few minutes you and the rest of the group have arrived at the exit to the facility :see rest of group turn at bottom:

Group turn
The front doors of the facility are heavy and rusted, though they swing open as you put your combined strength against them.  The light sheers through the open doorway, blinding you momentarily as everyone staggers out blinking and shielding their eyes.  Finally you manage to look up to see far more green than would be normal in a dense city center:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Buildings are crumbling around you, and birds of species you have never seen before fly between collapsing ruins.  The very plant-life itself is highly abnormal and you even notice small creatures made of fungus and vine crawling around in the shadows.  As you are all taking in the sights you feel a sudden throb pass through you, and the birds nearby take flight.  Within a few moments the facility behind you begins to collapse in on itself as you hurry to get away.  Though just as quickly as it started it stops, leaving what appears to be a large black orb floating above a crater that was once the cyro-labs, small bits of steel and stone float around the orb in lazy orbits and you can feel an ever-so-slight shift in gravity towards the abyssal mass.  Fortunately it appears to be stable as it is neither growing in size nor collapsing it simply sits there spinning hypnotically.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 09:32:31 am by kilakan »
Nom nom nom

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: From The Ashes-Episode 1:Chap 1:The Collasp
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2015, 10:25:51 am »

"Th-that ain't right.

Guys? I don't think we're getting paid. Or rescued. This is bad."

All of what they have been through begins to catch up with Ox, and he weeps for the dead, both those inside the facility, and those, long gone, whom he had known in life. The magnitude of their situation sinks in with a dull ache and a growing fear. He looks at his companions as if seeing them for the first time - two youths and a child. How could it have come to this? Half consciously, he perches the rat upon his shoulder. "We ... we should find some shelter and figure this out. Let's figure this out. We gotta, gotta ... We need food." He look at his ridiculous outfit in a new light. "And clothes."

((I am hilariously glad I brought ratCarl.))
((RIP Alex Raman. We hardly knew ye.))
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 10:27:56 am by Ozarck »

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2015, 03:19:33 pm »

((yes, I don't mean to be too harsh but posting single line actions will probably result in bad things because I am not gonna add in extra actions/steps in case you didn't think of them.

Also RatCarl will prove to be rather useful both for your continued sanity and anything you try to teach him.

just a reminder though.. new location/turn guys.  Let me know what you want to try to do first/what persons place you intend to try and find first.))
Nom nom nom

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2015, 03:30:00 pm »

(( arrive? ))
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2015, 03:37:17 pm »

(( arrive? ))
The dimensional door was the right one surely, you could swear by it.  Heck, the only thing that could possibly have caused you to be sent hurling through the arcane abyss instead of to the bathroom would have been a collapsing star on a planet in a dimension parallel to your own castle.  This of course strikes you as completely absurd and implausible.  That is right up until you notice that you appear to be falling through clouds.  With only a tiny reserve of magical energy left you cast slow-fall on yourself and float down into a city that appears to have been devastated by something or other leaving it to be reclaimed by nature.  Even more unfortunate you seem to be having memories of the version of yourself from this dimension forcefully overwritten into your mind and only through sheer force of will do you also keep your own memories.  This version of you seems to be lacking in any magic... no the entire dimension is lacking you think as you curse your timing on going to the bathroom.  Regardless, long dead version of you seems to be exceptionally upset at this turn of events and it's all you can do to keep your stony demenour on as you float gently to the ground behind a group of people.  They seem to be staring at the accursed black star that dragged you here and as they at least appear human you walk forwards and introduce yourself to the man who appears to be a druid.  What with the toga and rat familiar sitting on his shoulder.
Nom nom nom

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2015, 03:50:53 pm »

Well I'm hardly surprised. It seems like everything went to shit almost two centuries ago and we only lasted so long because that reactor was on. I thought I saw something horrifying back in there, and after seeing this out here, it must have been real. We gotta move away from here, I don't trust that black hole. My personal lab should be about 10 miles from here, and I know the way. But if it's been 165 years, there's no telling if it's still there. It was, as you say, off the grid. My company didn't like people knowing where we did our, "repossessions." Only three people knew where it was and how to get in. So maybe, just maybe, we can get to it.

John shrugs and examines the area. He's looking for immediate threats, and anything that can be used as a weapon. John finds the mushroom creatures immensely interesting and makes a mental note to observe them once he is in a more stable situation.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2015, 03:57:35 pm »

Looking about John would notice what appears to be a robbed man holding a charcoal colored staff standing behind them where previously there was nothing.  As for immediate threats, some larger birds appear to be coming back to their roosts and staring at the group strangely, as well the fungus creatures seem to be milling about on the edge of the shadows as close to you as they can get.  For weaponry you have your choice of the following
:A fist sized rock,
:A 2 inch thick, 4 foot long slightly knobby stick
:A chunk of rebar encased in concrete such that it seems to make a mallet that is only 1 foot long.
and lastly you only just manage to notice
:what appears to be a long slightly woody vine that is covered in finger long thorns, it'd be dangerous to use but would make for one heck of a mean flail.
Nom nom nom

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2015, 04:01:34 pm »

"Um... agh... hello."
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2015, 04:02:15 pm »

((Please use a different, lighter color.  Can't see dark purple on darkling background.))
Nom nom nom

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2015, 04:06:57 pm »

He wasn't there before. In fact, he hasn't been with us at all. Who are you? You love here? What happened?

John snatches up the stick. He's normally interested in cutting weapons, but with none available, he goes for the longest one.

John eyes the mushroom creature (need general do scripting of size and shape) and wonders if it is hostile or if he could approach it. John has always dreamed of creating such a creature through mutagens, but had never succeeded. He really wants to know more, but is quite wary.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2015, 04:11:41 pm »

"I am Nicholas. A wizard/mage/sorcerer/adept of magic. Unfortunately it seems this world lacks in magic. No, I don't love here. THERE'S NO MAGIC! As for what happened: bad luck."

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2015, 04:12:28 pm »

It's rather hard to focus on the mushroom creature... or creatures you aren't quite sure which.  It seems to be changing shape and size with some regularity though when it does calm down momentarily it appears to be mimicking how you look, complete with long mushroom sinew based stick in it's hand.  Though one defining feature is that puffballs are continuously growing out of it's flesh before popping into a yellowish cloud which then blows away on the winds.  Overall you'd say there's about 300 pounds of material that is a white-blue color that is able to split and re-combine without much apparent effort and seems to be centralized around one that is growing out of the skull of a moose, complete with antlers.  Regardless of it's morphing shape, it's quite firm in appearance as it quite frequently stands up on ever-changing legs to better look at you.

(better color thanks))
Nom nom nom

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2015, 04:12:52 pm »

Gar, seeing the dude who randomly showed up, steps forward with a hand extended.
"Hello, Im Gar, and these are Ox, and his freshly adopted rat Carl, John, and Annis. Where did you come from? You wherent here a moment ago."

"Hey, John. What direction was your lab in? While its unlikely that my apartment is still intact, it may still be worth checking it out."
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2015, 04:13:35 pm »

"Well naturally I fell out of the sky."

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2015, 04:16:23 pm »

John seems to not hear the others talking. He approaches the creature and sets his stick down in a show of non aggression. He then attempts to communicate with the creature by saying "Can you speak?"
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15