Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Author Topic: From The Ashes-Episode 1:Chap 5:In the Dark  (Read 11478 times)

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
Re: From The Ashes-Episode 1:Chap 3:They Speak?!
« Reply #180 on: July 21, 2015, 06:22:52 pm »

It has plenty of unsavory harvesting apparatuses, but nothing having to do with aether. It has all my bionics and the tools of my trade. Plus a bunch of junk and some MREs which I'm unsure if they even expire. Its basically a quiet bunker full of knives made for the repossession of biological products.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 21, 2015, 07:05:08 pm »

"Do you keep the standard stock of laser focusing crystals? I theorize, with the right hum and a bit of this and that, a few glyphs, I could punch a hole in reality to gather aether... maybe not, I don't know enough about this world's rules. Excuse me."

Go to find a book on physics and read it.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 21, 2015, 07:16:54 pm »

((I doubt the rat smells particularly. maybe a bit, as a 'wild' animal. ox was asking because hte goblins smelled humans. Unless Ox is familiar with this city from before, he doesn't have any suggestios on where to go. I am trying really hard to RP him as he is, though I might have underdone the low wisdom score a time or two. On the other hand, I did get ratCarl out of a couple low wis actions :P))

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 21, 2015, 08:07:00 pm »

((Ox would have rudimentary knowledge of the area, largely pertaining to the location of gyms and the film district. On the other hand you have a very good knowledge of the surrounding wilderness.))
Nom nom nom

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 21, 2015, 09:19:26 pm »

Ox thinks back to his experiences in this area. the gyms would be of little use, unless the group wanted to buff up - he eyes John and Gar thoughtfully - and the film studios would likely be overrun and abandoned long since. Might find some interesting stuff there. He thinks further out, to the countryside. What was the area like, and where might he find a place to hole up with his friends? he thinks maybe they might find survivors out there. Maybe even the robots.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: From The Ashes-Episode 1:Chap 3:The Night's Pack
« Reply #185 on: July 24, 2015, 11:35:20 am »

Ox thinks back to his experiences in this area. the gyms would be of little use, unless the group wanted to buff up - he eyes John and Gar thoughtfully - and the film studios would likely be overrun and abandoned long since. Might find some interesting stuff there. He thinks further out, to the countryside. What was the area like, and where might he find a place to hole up with his friends? he thinks maybe they might find survivors out there. Maybe even the robots.
Way back when you were still trying to get type-cast in the remakes of George of the Jungle you remember there being a large dispute over the filming in the forest surrounding the city.  Apparently the surround lands were sanctioned as a wildlife sanctuary that prevents any human interaction and as such the sky-scrapers of the city ended abruptly in relatively untouched forest.  Sure tons of garbage blew into them, scientists dropped toxic waste there and the major highways went through unopposed but that clearly didn't stop the forest from taking back over when everyone died.  Father out, away from the large underground water source that the city gets it's water supply from the landscape faded into sprawling farms, a mountain range to the west and north about 140 km out at the closest point.  To the east and south however the farms fade away into scrub-land and finally arid desert with very few people living there in your time.  At a guess the town mentioned in 'The Wastes' would probably be on the highway in it's s-s-e course through the desert.  Regardless you'd be probably a weeks walk from even the edge of the desert.

Quote from: FallacyofUrist
Find physics books/learn fundamental mechanics.
You manage to find a hobbyists book on physics and start reading.  Unfortunately come the time when you are falling asleep sitting up all you've managed to learn is that as far as everyone in this world is concerned, magic, other dimensions and even faster than light travel are physically impossible.  From what you know, anything coming into this dimension would have to be sent through from another and that it would not be able to send back out.  ((crit knowledge success bonus knowledge incoming!))  From your times back on your home plane you instantly remember the tales of a wizard wholly unconcerned with the destruction of the aether who preformed such dangerous spells and experiments that he killed apprentices worlds away with careless discharge.  Eventually the magical consortium decided to hunt him down and eradicate his very soul only to find a small tear in reality through which he escaped.  One of the most daring wizards followed him only to, from your perspective be destroyed immediately.  This stable source of Aether you can fill would be the perfect match for the tear in which the dangerous wizard escaped and would also explain why it seemingly destroyed everything that went through as nothing would be able to transmit back.
   Your excitement at this revelation is short lived however because that means aside from tearing a similar hole in reality which would lead to a completely unpredictable location and dimension, you are truly stuck here.  Even the act of tearing a hole would require years of drawing mana from the existing rift to give you a singular chance at it not to mention that it'd leave you very drained with no way of saving yourself if you end up someplace hostile to existence on the other side.

Everyone:
Everyone sleeps a night filled with nightmares and dread, without a word you rise at the very first signs of light.  Rested but mentally strained you congregate in the living room around the kitchen table that spent the night propped against the front door.  Throughout the night you could hear things moving in the other apartments, fighting for food and scraps and generally living out their nightly lives.  The only thing of note however is just half an hour or so before dawn you could hear the sounds of the pack of goblin-like mutants passing through the street tired and full from their night of slaughter as it would seem that you must only a few minutes walk from their den judging by the timing they showed up last night and this following morning.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Nom nom nom

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: From The Ashes-Episode 1:Chap 4:Tentative sunrise
« Reply #186 on: July 24, 2015, 11:55:46 am »

"Right, lets get going... John, I guess you lead the way."
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 24, 2015, 12:36:51 pm »

This is a risk, we don't know that it could still be there. But I don't see any better options. Once everyone is ready, John leads the way towards his repossessions unit.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 24, 2015, 12:39:35 pm »

"Well, what else is there to do? By the way, there's an evil wizard on the loose. Just so you know."

Go along with the others, noting my location as we go.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Vacio

• Bay Watcher
  • I have awoken from my long slumber....
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 24, 2015, 02:53:09 pm »

"We need to also find the group that those creatures were talking about, seems that those creature won't needlessly engage them." Annis comments as she follows John.
Discontinued Game
Los Diablos

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 24, 2015, 02:57:49 pm »

"there's a town toward the desert south of here off the intertate. I mean 'was'. Maybe that's where they meant? It's a couple hours drive, so walking will take, like forever. Hey! Maybe ratCarl knows something about the city. ratCarl? What do you think? Is there a good place for us to hole up in town?" Ox follows along, picking up various bits of detritus as we go, looking for a suitable club. He also looks for a sporting goods store. Ox also looks for a weapon for ratCarl.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 03:39:14 pm by Ozarck »

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 24, 2015, 03:02:58 pm »

John notices Ox's smart thinking. "Everyone Ox has the right idea. We should all try to find weapons.
As we walk, I take note of any living creatures I can see. I examine them as I go by. I also look for a suitable weapon as I do this.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 24, 2015, 03:06:58 pm »

"Isint that sort of a given?"
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 24, 2015, 03:13:26 pm »

I guess so. Ox was the only one doing it, I thought it was a good idea.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 25, 2015, 11:47:42 am »

Group Loot Chances:
Annie {20}-As you are walking along with the others, you spot something at eye level that the others failed to notice.  Sticking out from a pile of rocks you see a old burlap backpack of military make, attempting to pull it out of the rubble causes the decaying burlap to fall apart however inside is what seems to be a large plastic briefcase.  Fiddling with the locking mechanism that was probably made to keep children out, you pop open the case with a satisfying hiss.  Inside is a mint condition military grade crossbow, with 12 bolts;  It's designed to be easy to crank quietly while still delivering massive damage to whatever it hits through passive pneumatic's in the crankshaft, while the 12 bolts are made of a high grade poly-carbon fibre resin that is nearly impossible to break.  A lead core in each one adds weight while the entire system contains no ferric metals to avoid metal scanners and other means of detection.
Military Carbon Crossbow-12/12 bolts

Ox {18} sport-store, ratCarl {10}, weapon {16}-You do manage to find a ruined sport-store, it even has some unstolen merchandise that looks usable sealed away inside plastic baggies.  However you'll have trouble carrying much of anything (choose set of sports related clothing, protective gear is allowed but will be encumbering.  Than two items you could carry in each hand plus what anyone else might want and could carry.)  ratCarl meanwhile finds an exacto-knife with a rusted blade that is light enough he can carry it with his smaller set of arms.  For a weapon, you find a sturdy faux-wood baseball bat made out of some insanely dense plastic-material around a metal core.
Sportstore-Set of clothing, Faux-Wood Baseball bat, 1 carry able item+ up to 10 carry able items for the party.
ratCarl-Exacto-Knife

Nicholas {20} You see what is obviously an ancient sword laying among some bushes and overgrown plant life.  Everyone seems to look at you strangely when you emerge from the undergrowth carrying a rusted pipe-looking object that you claim to be a long-sword.  Surprisingly for them, you do pull the rotten and rusted scabbard off which breaks down into a fine rust powder to reveal a 3 and a half foot steel long-sword with an impeccably sharp edge.  It was apparently a functional novelty item someone bought a very long time ago as it appears to have intricate gold writing along the blade and a symbol you think is magic until one of the others informs you it is a trademark.
Long-sword

John {6}-You don't find anything else very useful, but Ox informs you that he found two items that you could carry from the sports-store you passed.

Gar {7}-In the same boat as John, you pick up a couple bits of detrious that you may be able to bludgeon something with though are relieved when Ox directs you to a sports store he located on the way to John's hideout.  (gain two items you could carry in one hand.)

*Could everyone update their inventories for me and post what they have?  I am on a tablet so editing the first post isn't entirely possible at the moment.  Thanks a lot!

Group Action:
With John leading the way you make decent time across the city, stopping to look through various stores and buildings as you go.  Nothing bothers a group of your size, though for the same measure you see very few living things aside from the trees and shrubs growing through the cracked asphalt.  Eventually you find what seems to be an old manhole cover in a back alley-way, together Ox and John drag it off and you go down into the darkness below.  The lights flicker on after a few minutes of waiting nervously in the dark revealing a trashed lab.  It seems that John's employers took back the vast majority of his equipment, leaving some surgery tools his work bench and a basic first aid kit.  Unfortunately all of his electronics are gone, including his personal computer.  On the other hand, the 2 room lab, 1 room bedroom for hiding and bathroom are at the least safe.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

((sorry for the kinda half-assed update, not likely gonna hve a comp for a few days and I only have a tablet at the moment.))
Nom nom nom
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15