Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Werebeasts and their Children  (Read 1601 times)

hinric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Werebeasts and their Children
« on: July 11, 2015, 03:52:27 pm »

My legendary blacksmith got turned into a werepig by a visitor, and rather than the usual solution, I decided to go for a more complicated one where I lock her up in her own private furnace to make glorious metal furniture forever. However, while I was digging out and furnishing the furnace, she gave birth to a child. She's already been through one transformation and the child is still alive, which makes me think the child might be a werepig as well... Is this possible? And if not, is there any way to separate the two?

Currently the happy family is locked up in the quarantine zone of my hospital.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Werebeasts and their Children
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 05:00:11 pm »

She will almost certainly kill the child at her first transformation, which will produce some serious unhappiness.  Make sure you furnish her forge with some seriously attractive stuff.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

hinric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 05:02:18 pm »

As I said, she'd already been through a transformation. Since then she's been through several, and the child is still alive. Maybe it's somehow because she's confined to a 1x1 room.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 05:07:46 pm »

Hang on, I didn't think pregnancy was a thing with werebeasts?

Did she give birth while transformed? That's not possible either, is it?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

hinric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 05:11:28 pm »

She gave birth while infected and confined, but she was not transformed at the time. I only suspect that the child is also a werebeast because she doesn't kill it (unless that is somehow related to their confinement to a 1x1 room).

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 05:51:08 pm »

where I lock her up in her own private furnace to make glorious metal furniture forever.
The werebeasts that are cursed by the gods are ageless. The poor schmucks that gain the curse from a curse sufferer aren't ageless.

She gave birth while infected and confined, but she was not transformed at the time. I only suspect that the child is also a werebeast because she doesn't kill it (unless that is somehow related to their confinement to a 1x1 room).
When she is transformed look at her inventory to see if she still holds the baby. If she is then maybe she isn't killing it because it is an item during her transformations.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 06:12:01 pm »

I have only heard of this, so you may want to test this first. Some time ago I read about a method of separating a mother from a child by doing the following: putting said mother and child on a floor of grates, then having a rush of water above them come down, washing the babe through the grates and the mother being safe and sound. Only thing is the player did this with the intent of drowning the baby, so watch out for that if you want the babe to live. I have intentions of doing this and mixing it with dwarven day care.

hinric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 06:41:20 pm »

The werebeasts that are cursed by the gods are ageless. The poor schmucks that gain the curse from a curse sufferer aren't ageless.
So someone turned werebeast through getting bitten will die of old age? Because then the wiki needs an update.

When she is transformed look at her inventory to see if she still holds the baby. If she is then maybe she isn't killing it because it is an item during her transformations.
I just checked and the baby does not appear in the inventory of the mother-turned-werepig (at least the child doesn't show up by doing v-i. Maybe because the werebeast isn't considered a citizen? Is there another way to check?).

I have only heard of this, so you may want to test this first. Some time ago I read about a method of separating a mother from a child by doing the following: putting said mother and child on a floor of grates, then having a rush of water above them come down, washing the babe through the grates and the mother being safe and sound. Only thing is the player did this with the intent of drowning the baby, so watch out for that if you want the babe to live. I have intentions of doing this and mixing it with dwarven day care.

Wow,  the things this game brings out in people. I'll keep that in mind for when the baby turns into a child, but for now everything seems fine.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 06:53:53 pm by hinric »

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2015, 10:52:37 pm »

So someone turned werebeast through getting bitten will die of old age? Because then the wiki needs an update.
Done.

I just checked and the baby does not appear in the inventory of the mother-turned-werepig (at least the child doesn't show up by doing v-i. Maybe because the werebeast isn't considered a citizen? Is there another way to check?).
You could try using 'k' to look at what is on the tile. Becoming a werebeast should shed all her equipment to the ground (things being held in the hand might be an exception) which you should be able to see if it is on the ground. If you do not see it on the ground but it is on her after she changes back then we can conclude (with some uncertainty) that she never drops it.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 05:54:01 am »

I remember when my were-dorf gave birth to a child; separated her from him before every full moon with retracting bridges until the child was old enough to feed himself. I always assumed she'd kill him otherwise, so what's going on here? That's quite intriguing.
Also to summarize what I found out earlier, the most obvious thing to point out is that were-curse is not inheritable. It must be passed down by the bite. Another thing is that the transformation appears to halt pregnancy development for those two days per month, prolonging the pregnancy slightly. Something I am still yet to figure out is that I have once seen the transformation fail to happen (whilst a Dwarf was wrestling a giant clawed creature with multiple eyes), and when this transformation failed to happen the other were-dwarf did not kill her despite her still being Dwarf form (though whether this was because that were-dwarf recognized her as kin or was merely preoccupied with the battle is unknown, I am yet to recreate whatever conditions that halted the transformation).

Done.
Is this proven?

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 09:13:02 am »

Is this proven?
Yeah. Werebeasts only spread "DEITY_CURSE_WEREBEAST_{#}_BITE" through attacks. Of the werebeast curses only "DEITY_CURSE_WEREBEAST_{#}" has "noage" as a syndrome effect and those only arise through being cursed by a god.
The werebeast interaction example is pretty much the template for worldgen. You can look through the world.dat file in uncompressed saves for confirmation.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

hinric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2015, 09:52:35 am »

You could try using 'k' to look at what is on the tile. Becoming a werebeast should shed all her equipment to the ground (things being held in the hand might be an exception) which you should be able to see if it is on the ground. If you do not see it on the ground but it is on her after she changes back then we can conclude (with some uncertainty) that she never drops it.

Ok, I see now. Yes, she dropped all her equipment, but holds on to the child. I guess that doesn't bode well for when the child becomes old enough to walk around independently, huh? Still, interesting to note that the baby survives as long as it is still being carried by the werebeast mother.

Update: Werepig mom just murdered her child after all. Don't know what changed; she's definitely been through several transformations without doing so. Maybe because I saved and reloaded the game?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 09:59:01 am by hinric »