Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lone Dwarf  (Read 1724 times)

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lone Dwarf
« on: December 06, 2007, 04:59:00 pm »

Is there any way to mod Fort Mode to make your starting group have different amounts of dwarves? Like one or two? Are there any fast, easy ways to kill the 'extras' off? I'd like to have 2 dwarves and let them and their offspring rule a fort. Thanks!

Flok Speargrabber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lone Dwarf
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 05:06:00 pm »

Murder.

There's always murder, murder, and murder, too.

Spiratu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 05:09:00 pm »

Unless it's been changed since the old version, your starting dwarves may not be able to reproduce.  I thought only dwarves that immigrated as couples could have children.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 05:13:00 pm »

Recruit your surplus dwarves. Send them after the local nasties.

If you have no local nasties, station them out of the way and channel around them, being careful to insure your miner isn't traped on the resulting 'island'.

Then just let entropy take it's course.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 06:04:00 pm »

Thanks for quick replies!

Flok: Murder? How?

Spiratu: Yes, I think you're right.

Wolfius: Yeah, I'll probably do that. Wrestle those elephants!

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 06:56:00 pm »

Really, just station them in a lockable room and let them die, drown them, or just use the hordes of recruited immigrants as cannon fodder against invasions and whatever. They will probably die, and if they dont, then you have eliminated the enemies anyway.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 07:40:00 pm »

It's not exactly creative, but stationing soldiers under a lifting bridge that "accidentally" falls back down should work quite well...
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 12:10:00 am »

Wait, so, uh, lemme get this straight...

You want to spawn an entire fortress from the offspring of two dwarves?

EW.

Goblin Siege, Ten Years Later:

"Hey, Grishnak.. you notice a bunch of those dwarves have seven fingers and seem to just be running around babbling to themselves?"

"Yeah.. weird."

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 01:21:00 am »

I had a fort like this in the 2d version, it was just a small thing. The 2 immigrants (metalsmith and wife), with tons and tons of children from them.

At the time it was incredibly annoying, though. This was due to the glitch that caused grown children to still follow their parents around. My metalsmith's wife had 30+ dwarves surrounding her at any given moment. She could hardly move around the fort. And my metalsmith constantly had his kids get stuck in the magma forge due to that other old bug...

It'd probably work alright in this version since both of these bugs were fixed, but I'm not sure how you'd get a dwarven couple. In the 2d version you could just save scum until the metalsmith brought a wife, which was common. In this version I never seem to get any couples.

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Fenrir

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 04:08:00 pm »

Since your original seven can't reproduce, play until you get an immigrant with a spouse, then kill off the rest in one of the ways suggested above.