Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: !Fun! Inbound! ( Help! )  (Read 3288 times)

runedog48

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
!Fun! Inbound! ( Help! )
« on: July 10, 2015, 03:00:08 pm »

Alright, so this is probably my most successful fortress thus far, and I /had/ a whole 3 warriors full equipped in copper plate armor ready to defend my fortress of 80+ Dwarves.. it was quiet.. too quiet.. nothing had attacked me and my 315k wealth fortress.. and suddenly it emerges.. The Plains Titan Anteld Ebinoenobe Shinanianald Shinam has come!  A great hairy snail.  It has thin wings of stretched skin and it moves deliberately.  Its pale blue hair is patchy.  Beware its fire! I scrambled my mighty warriors and flocked my innocent Dwarves to the dining hall and waited.. the Titan lay siege on my fortress.. scorching the surface and mercilessly slaughtering my livestock hurling great balls of fire... my Dwarves somewhat hesitant to any of my orders waiting in a staging area below.. And then it struck me.. the wooden doors would not withstand such a menacing beast! The stone walls began growing warm.. the landscape quickly turning to ash.. trees began falling due to the immense fires.. plumes of smoke hid the great beast.. Suddenly.. it began pouring in.. the first door has been destroyed! The beast lay outside the second door.. waiting.. And then it came.. I sent my army of 3 to dispatch the beast but to no avail.. as they were ripped apart.. shredded.. as if they were made of paper.. although the beast had been stripped of it's wings.. and was bleeding.. it waits in the crypt of the fallen.. how ironic... it's outer shell is cut open and dented along with it's body.. it's guts.. fractured.. their bodies fat missing..

The question is.. WHAT DO I DO NOW? My Dwarves have ran out of booze and my military was slaughtered. I'm not sure if Titans can bleed out or not, and that is the only thing I'm hoping on. It's not even /that/ injured. It literally turned my whole surface into ashes and destroyed all the trees. Part of me wants to use DFHack to slayrace the beast but where's the !FUN! in that?

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
Re: !Fun! Inbound! ( Help! )
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 03:05:55 pm »

Can you send us a screenshot of your fort? It would certainly help.

You can try to lock it on the crypt building a wall. If the crypt is, by chance, on its way to the surface, dig another route. And never, ever, use wooden doors.

runedog48

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 03:27:30 pm »

You can try to lock it on the crypt building a wall. If the crypt is, by chance, on its way to the surface, dig another route. And never, ever, use wooden doors.

Apparently it's not capturing DF.
I'll probably have to put DF in windowed mode ( if that's a thing ) to take screenshots.

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 03:30:47 pm »

Apparently it's not capturing DF.
I'll probably have to put DF in windowed mode ( if that's a thing ) to take screenshots.
Just press PrintSceen and paste it on any image-editing program. It can even be MS paint.

runedog48

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 03:37:21 pm »

-snip-
Just press PrintSceen and paste it on any image-editing program. It can even be MS paint.

Yea, that's what I was doing, but for some reason my computer doesn't like capturing certain games whilst in fullscreen.

This is the surface:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wvy9muc6qbe4ufq/Screenshot%202015-07-10%2016.31.08.png?dl=0

Connecting the different chambers of my fortress are these tunnels which vary between 7-10 layers ( up/down stairs )
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ffj64pawtyiqgp1/Screenshot%202015-07-10%2016.31.59.png?dl=0

Farm is the first undergroup chamber
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p8p5yj5qycs7olg/Screenshot%202015-07-10%2016.31.38.png?dl=0

Then it goes to the crypt ( with the Titan )
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zohqu5ez855b47f/Screenshot%202015-07-10%2016.31.48.png?dl=0

Then that connects to the workshops
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kmzi7x5eqi0bp93/Screenshot%202015-07-10%2016.31.53.png?dl=0

And then the residential sector
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bt377k5atao59so/Screenshot%202015-07-10%2016.32.06.png?dl=0

I guess I can risk my legendary miner and dig through the up/down stairs below my crypt and then channel the stairs above the crypt so the creature is trapped? Is the creature aware of mobs in layers above/below it?

Edit: The crypt and workshop are directly connected via stairs

« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 03:40:13 pm by runedog48 »

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 04:00:33 pm »

Ohh...that's a tricky situation...wait, those "X" at the top-right corner of your workshop zone are stairs? I'm not used to tilesets. If they are, well, here's the first big problem in your fortress design: Everything is connected with stairs. I'm not saying having the fortress multiple facilities connected with stairs is bad. If you can keep the monsters away (With the power of bridges, of course!) from the stairs, them there's no problem. In regards to your current fortress, i recommend you to lock the shit out of the crypt with any means possible and never open it again until you have a good millitary. You can then re-connect the rest of your fortress with stairs and make a better defense.

One good thing you did was adding a wall. They're the most basic form of defense, but are pretty effective. The problem is, you used doors. Not simple doors, wooden ones. I recommend you to build raisable bridges for your defense. You then link them to levers placed somewhere a high number of dwarves passes by. Every time something !!FÜÑ!! arrives, pull the levers and...well, you can either wait it to go away or send your millitary. Hope it helped.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 04:02:18 pm by Magnumcannon »

runedog48

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 04:14:16 pm »

-snip-

Woops, didn't realize how unclear the pictures were about the stair placement. Since the titan burnt everything to a crisp it kind of overlayed the stair tiles with stuff. I updated the pictures in my previous post with arrows pointing at where the stairs are. How can I get just my miner to go and remove the up/down stair in my workshop which leads to the crypt above it? Or should I just replace that stair with a wall?

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 04:29:37 pm »

Oh, i see. You will have to sacrifice some of your  zones for the safety of your dorfs. Start walling off the residential zone. You don't need to build a wall right on the stairs, but around them. Then, carve some stairs to the surface and slowly wall off every single stair that leads to the crypt and replace them with new ones. But be aware that the Titan has so much acess to your dwarfs that he can attack ANYTIME. I won't give you false hope, so you're kinda in trouble there, mate.

runedog48

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 07:15:34 pm »

Frustrated and unable to find a way to get my miner over without having all my other Dwarves follow, I took the most Dwarvy path and selected 10 brave Dwarves to take on the daring task.. They charged furiously into battle! Raging war on the towering Titan and fought with the honor and dignity for their Dwarven ancestors! The titan quickly shred them apart and came after the rest of the Dwarves and was ganged up on, setting fire to almost all the wooden tables and chairs in the room, ( at least 100 wooden objects )..  it was a long hard battle but was won by the Dwarves! And we shall honor our Hunter for shooting the Titan in the skull and injuring it's brain! For without this valiant act our fortress would have been plundered. It shall be known that on this day! The Dwarves have overcome a worthy enemy and proved themselves. ( At the cost of about 30 dwarves and 1 legendary miner ( rip )).

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 07:26:02 pm »

Wow, that's way too much !!FÜÑ!!

Well, at least you survived, but now it's time to build the coffins, huh?

runedog48

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 07:44:12 pm »

Wow, that's way too much !!FÜÑ!!

Well, at least you survived, but now it's time to build the coffins, huh?
Oh god.. yea. And stone doors to keep the baddies away xD It's okay. I needed to redo my labors anyway. Just wished my poor mining dwarf would have survived.

Edit: I can't seem to get my Dwarves to do anything, even though I cleared their alert status and assigned them labors.. There's still random smoke particles appearing as well.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 07:49:05 pm by runedog48 »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 08:12:24 pm »

Hey, guys? The material of the door does not matter in the slightest. Any door will be bashed apart by a building destroyer.

Use raising bridges for real security, those are indestructible when raised. The only door that is truly secure is an artifact door.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2015, 11:15:21 am »

Hey, guys? The material of the door does not matter in the slightest. Any door will be bashed apart by a building destroyer.

Use raising bridges for real security, those are indestructible when raised. The only door that is truly secure is an artifact door.
Stone doors can't be destroyed by level 1 building destroyers, or non-building destroyers that can shoot fire. While that might not be very many extra creatures, it's still definitely better.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2015, 01:59:30 pm »

Stone doors can't be destroyed by level 1 building destroyers, or non-building destroyers that can shoot fire. While that might not be very many extra creatures, it's still definitely better.

Conceded. Just want to make sure that the OP knows that it won't stop another Titan.  8)
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

runedog48

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2015, 06:40:34 pm »

Just want to make sure that the OP knows that it won't stop another Titan.  8)
Thanks.

I seem to have a problem, there's 3 walls which are near where the door used to be which are "warm" and they keep emitting smoke and have yet to cool off. The problem is my Dwarves aren't doing anything and I was wondering if the smoke cancels their jobs or acts as a barrier between them and the job site so they can't travel to it. I'm pretty sure my Dwarves will start dropping from thirst if the smoke doesn't clear, and that's a problem.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 06:43:51 pm by runedog48 »
Pages: [1] 2