Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

DDKDJAJJGS?

ATTGREAGR!
How do I delete polls?
fghyfgjyugfk

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31

Author Topic: Civcraft Thread Mk II Dusk of the empire [Check OP for link to new one]  (Read 48787 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: [MINECRAFT]: Dorf Fort Civcraft Edition Thread MkII - 3.0 Comes Soon
« Reply #435 on: March 04, 2016, 01:25:54 pm »

Anyone have the coordinates to a ravine?  I've got an idea for a project I want to do...
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #436 on: March 04, 2016, 04:50:51 pm »

I don't think ravines exist, because the map is custom-painted.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: March 04, 2016, 06:33:18 pm »

There's no underground terrain at all except for stone variation and occasional magma/water, so I'm afraid it's do it yourself ravine. I'm up for helping with such a project however.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Bob_Namg

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cream of your Crop
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: March 04, 2016, 08:51:12 pm »

You guys are Laurentia right? So I'm currently situated 400 meters east, meanwhile 400 meters north east of you is the NSR, I'm sure some of you have been introduced. There was a incident involving potatos?
Laurentia? What even is that?
We're The Chancellory of Unified N-something Territories(?)
Adam Sandler.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: March 04, 2016, 09:04:31 pm »

I'm going to abandon the invasion of this server.  The changes have proven far too annoying and are really moving my opinion of the server towards outright spite rather than enjoyment.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: March 04, 2016, 09:13:54 pm »

I do feel like the big, old world and established political structure were a lot of the old one's appeal.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #441 on: March 04, 2016, 09:18:22 pm »

What changes do you mean? A lot of the stuff is because it's a test server so things are still unfinished.

I do feel like the big, old world and established political structure were a lot of the old one's appeal.
Oh yeah, having an established history is great. But when the world's new it's also easier to get involved in the politics, and I like that too.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 09:19:55 pm by Orange Wizard »
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Bob_Namg

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cream of your Crop
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 04, 2016, 09:38:49 pm »

Actual 3.0 will have a lot bigger shards
Adam Sandler.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: March 04, 2016, 10:28:53 pm »

What changes do you mean? A lot of the stuff is because it's a test server so things are still unfinished.

The unclear borders to the shards, the pain in attempting to find the location where you transfer between, the multiple potential spawning points upon the shards near eliminating the ability to find any land that could be considered out of the way, the hand painted nature of the map reducing the joy of exploring the map, the hand painted nature removing the ability to discover anything interesting or unexpected, the nature of travel between shards essentially making there be no place you could seclude yourself off to build up, the frustration of not being able to tell which shard you are on at all without prior knowledge of what the names are, the loss of knowing where the hell communities have estabilished themselves, lingering 'What the fuck?' from the end of 2.0 speech, the sheer grind required to establish something, the loss of the sense of purpose from 2.0 of feeling as being a part of a civilization on the rise in prominence, the joy of exploring age old ruins and maybe attempting to bring those same ruins back into prominence again, the loss of the Bay 12 identity upon the server, the lack of any effective place to build up a Bay 12 culture as I couldn't really find a place where there wasn't land built upon by someone only a couple chunks away, the loss of the history we had on the prior server that created the identity, lingering bitterness over the fact that the second version was shut down when Tygura had finally been taking its first steps to the outside world as it were and never seeing its potential realized, the loss of the feeling we are building within a breathing world, the handpainting never making it seem like any of the terrain is worth a damn in looks without needing large quantities of work, the feeling that everything is essentially planned out and nothing organic can really happen, and a few other complaints besides.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #444 on: March 04, 2016, 10:44:52 pm »

Okay so the map problems will be fixed on the official 3.0. This map was thrown together in like a day IIRC, but the actual map has had weeks of effort sunk into it. There are places that are "out of the way", so to speak, but admittedly not many. There will be waaaaay more land in the official server, so the current neighbours situation is only for the time being.
Complaints about shards are mostly fixed by using VoxelMap, which doesn't overlap and tells you your current shard. Can't switch between them, but such is life. The borders are a tad annoying but people have been setting up towers and tunnels and such to make navigation easier.
Not sure what your problem was with the end of 2.0 speech, that was ttk saying that the current situation with 2.0 was untenable and he wanted a new map and new mechanics with more effort put in.
The server was reset after multiple years, the fact that you were just starting to build up was incidental and kind of a silly complaint.
Again, the current map is hacked together and not indicative of the final product.
Not sure what you mean by planned out, Minecraft is more emergent than Conway's Game of Life.

If the map bothers you particularly much, then skipping playing on the test server is probably wise. But bailing out of Civcraft entirely seems a little excessive.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: March 04, 2016, 11:26:25 pm »

If the map bothers you particularly much, then skipping playing on the test server is probably wise. But bailing out of Civcraft entirely seems a little excessive.

While it is true that some of the complaints will be addressed, the root cause of my complaints is the reason I play Minecraft and the reason the server drew me in no longer exist.

With the former, it is due to see what th erandom generator winds up coming up with and building within a spot that I believe looks particularly interesting.  Sure terrain that is built up by individuals can look interesting, but I can never get it out of my mind that the reason it looks that way is because someone intended it to look that way,  In games like Minecraft, things become a lot less enjoyable for me when that fact is in the back of my head.  I've tried playing games like Ark, and this fact is what kills those games for me.

As for the second reason, the original draw to the server for me was the fact that we were reclaiming a historical site with Dumathoin.  When we were eventually removed from the location due to Gold Miner, the history with the group over the course of the Exodus and founding of Sparkgears took over as the main draw, and the desire to esentially continue that history was what brought me back in for Tygura.  After the hiatus, it was the history forged there that was what drew me back in again.  With the server reset, all of that is now gone.

With the direction the server is taking now, neither what drew me to the server or the main reason I play the game itself exist anymore.  With neither of those draws existing, it's not really going to be a server I like to play on.  Might as well move onto something else in that case.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #446 on: March 04, 2016, 11:46:01 pm »

Fair enough.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 04, 2016, 11:48:41 pm »

I do agree with Zanz, yes.

Also, the nazis. I don't like nazis, and the more cancerous Chanboards aren't a whole lot more pleasant.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: March 05, 2016, 12:33:19 am »

You guys are Laurentia right? So I'm currently situated 400 meters east, meanwhile 400 meters north east of you is the NSR, I'm sure some of you have been introduced. There was a incident involving potatos?
Laurentia? What even is that?
We're The Chancellory of Unified N-something Territories(?)
What the actual fuck then. In bet at the coords you gave me 250- 600 there's a bunch of guys with a tree and potato farm as well as roads to the gimmel border. North of me is the NSR... I have to assume I got the coords wrong and you're at 600 250.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #449 on: March 05, 2016, 01:11:56 am »

No that's us at 250 650. If you go east to 100 600 ish there's another town, but we're building a wall so it's okay.

Dunno what our Bet town is called yet. Might be Laurentia, if so, change it, that name sucks.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31