Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: .34 sieges  (Read 1347 times)

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
.34 sieges
« on: July 09, 2015, 06:12:08 am »

Everybody who has tried .40 realized ,sooner or later, that goblin sieges are outright pathetic compared to .34. While it might appeal to some players, it isn't all that attractive to others (me included). There is simply no challenge in beating 10 poorly armed goblin recruits that show up, and moreover, there is even less epic battle stories/feats of dwarven courage to be had.

Hence, is there a mod, that SIMPLY restores goblin sieges to its former .34 glory? And by saying "simply" I mean it - no extra races, no orcs, no catmen civs, no gunpowder, no extra clutter, no beating around the bush. Just plain, ordinary, straight as straightforward, simple as C, goddamn siege mod!

Please tell me it does exist... Please...

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: .34 sieges
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 06:23:30 am »

You can try embarking right next to a goblin capital that your civilizationialready at war with. In other words, no. Siege mechanics are far beyond simple modding. One could potentially make a mod that drastically raises goblins' litter size, which would probably increase their population meaning they'd probably have more soldiers. But, there's not really much you can do.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 06:29:40 am »

I'm pretty sure DFhack has something to force sieges or something. Your best bet is to just go over to the modding forum and ask how to make this bare bones mod yourself. That or make it really clear you don't want to make it yourself and are looking for someone to do it for you.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 06:42:36 am »

You can try embarking right next to a goblin capital that your civilizationialready at war with. In other words, no. Siege mechanics are far beyond simple modding. One could potentially make a mod that drastically raises goblins' litter size, which would probably increase their population meaning they'd probably have more soldiers. But, there's not really much you can do.
Done that already, and not just once or twice. It seems there is no distinction siegewise between embarking in the far corner of a continent of next to three dark fortresses.

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 06:44:03 am »

I'm pretty sure DFhack has something to force sieges or something. Your best bet is to just go over to the modding forum and ask how to make this bare bones mod yourself. That or make it really clear you don't want to make it yourself and are looking for someone to do it for you.

I'm all up to it. Just want to check if that sort of mod was already coined up by someone.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 07:19:14 am »

To get more frequent attacks, you'd pretty much have to try and settle far away from any of your chosen civ's sites and those of any potential "rivals" for the enemy's attention. More than once I've been left out of a war simply because there was one hillock or human town nearby for the goblins or whoever to constantly pick on instead. Additionally, you could try adding more hostile races, but snatching races seem just as prone to fighting eachother as they are you and removing the ability to speak makes everyone else gang up on them.

From what I understand, DFhack's Force-siege part of the force event script is broken now do to the way "army" mechanics work, which is a shame, because it pretty much knee-capped many of Masterwork's functions with a tire iron.

Personally I miss the old-school sieges from 34.11 back; enough that I  even made a suggestion on the matter to cater to players who like to have enemies other than necromancers and werecreatures to fight (since everyone else is already covered either in the int settings or world-gen parameters, why aren't players who like to fight goblins and the like?)

If you want to fight something besides werecreatures and animals you pretty much have to go where the enemy is instead of where you want to, and even a single other friendly site between you and your desired foe will pretty much put a stop to anything coming your way - more than once I actually saw the same three hillocks (you know, those dirt-towns made out of mud and sadness,) getting attacked and retaken over and over again during a war despite my fort being a far richer target, both in wealth and population.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 07:29:02 am »

I added and then gave a babysnatch custom race of mine 1-4 litter sizes and increased their [support_biomes] from 1 to 3

I also gave the goblins more weapons to play with as well as increased their expansion.  That the custom race was neigh unconquerable as they were always expanding.  Goblins perform markedly better with higher [all_land] setting.

Civs with snatching turned on will fight each other over ethics, but they tend to blend together into one race if that happens.  i.e. the losing race capitulates.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 07:47:26 am »

From what I understand, DFhack's Force-siege part of the force event script is broken now do to the way "army" mechanics work, which is a shame, because it pretty much knee-capped many of Masterwork's functions with a tire iron.
From what it looked like to me, Roses had made a script that could spawn custom invaders on command, and told Meph about it, but he just didn't see it and kept on talking about how there was no way to force sieges anymore.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

RocheLimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 10:28:53 am »

My current fort, settled half a world away from the civ, next to the humans, frogmen, war wolves, and a nice goblin civ, went 7 years before the first frogman siege, and 10+ before the fire goblins came calling.

Now, in its 16th year, goblin sieges are coming 1-2 a year, in the 30-60 unit range.  Not bad, really: too bad they are horribly outclassed by any of the squads that have been training for the past 10 years.

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 12:14:22 pm »

I'm equally frustrated with this change. With sieges needed, the game has lost much of the !fun! it used to have. What was Today's explanation of why this happened? Now all of my melee dwarves are legendary with only a few boars and a cyclops under their belt. I am curious why a goblin civ is based out here in the middle of mirthful settings.
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment
And so, in a thread about cointainers with usele

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 02:36:58 am »

StagnantSoul recently had a siege with 534 goblins plus over 70 other creatures of various kinds. It happens. The army mechanics are just impossible to game, really.

I had a fort with properly escalating goblin sieges (read: exactly like .34) not too long ago. Lost a few dwarves from each squad every time they came around, which was a pain in the ass. The last one before the fort died to a mountain titan of fire had somewhere around 60-80 units.

I guess you just have to get lucky.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 11:06:27 am »

StagnantSoul recently had a siege with 534 goblins plus over 70 other creatures of various kinds. It happens. The army mechanics are just impossible to game, really.

I think it was a 34.11 fort that saw such great siege, at least StagnantSoul mentionned a few times in the pages before that he was playing 34.11 and how harder it was to please dwarves in comparison to 40.24.

Even if my last 40.24 fort got me more siege than i ever had before with df2014, it never managed to provide me with the kind of opposition the older DF version (34.x and previous) goblins were.

Toady mentionned there was an army pathing bug left in 40.24 that he fixed, but fixed only for the future version that he will release with the tavern stuff.
In current version while megabeast/undead can still come, when playing Fortress mode goblin sieges (extremely) rarely happen and sometime not at all in dozen of years of fortress running. Will this be improved in the upcoming version ? or will all those multi-species mixing in fort will make goblin siege even less likely ?

There was one pathing error that has been fixed for the next version that should improve the frequencies in some cases (some mountain embarks).  We'll have to see where it goes from there.  The species mixing doesn't change anything.

So not all hope of the past DF siege fun is lost, hopefully that fixed bug will give back fortress mode its former siege glory.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 11:17:26 am »

I think it was a 34.11 fort that saw such great siege, at least StagnantSoul mentionned a few times in the pages before that he was playing 34.11 and how harder it was to please dwarves in comparison to 40.24.

Even if my last 40.24 fort got me more siege than i ever had before with df2014, it never managed to provide me with the kind of opposition the older DF version (34.x and previous) goblins were.

Toady mentionned there was an army pathing bug left in 40.24 that he fixed, but fixed only for the future version that he will release with the tavern stuff.
In current version while megabeast/undead can still come, when playing Fortress mode goblin sieges (extremely) rarely happen and sometime not at all in dozen of years of fortress running. Will this be improved in the upcoming version ? or will all those multi-species mixing in fort will make goblin siege even less likely ?

There was one pathing error that has been fixed for the next version that should improve the frequencies in some cases (some mountain embarks).  We'll have to see where it goes from there.  The species mixing doesn't change anything.

So not all hope of the past DF siege fun is lost, hopefully that fixed bug will give back fortress mode its former siege glory.

I sincerely hope so.