Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions here (Military + Caveins)  (Read 1726 times)

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Questions here (Military + Caveins)
« on: March 22, 2008, 12:15:00 pm »

First question, it should be easy: What exactly is required to create a cave in? I started in a human town to attempt it, I channelled around a house and had completely dug out underneath it, but nothing happened. What gives?

Second question, in what stone-type should I look for flux? I seem to stuck in Chert and Jet, with assorted iron ores. Also Gypsum. Go deeper?

Last question, and this one is a bit of a doozy.

How do you effectively use the military? I haven't had a need to use it before, but I got two ambushes today when a Dwarf Caravan came in. One from the west, one from the east.

I had my military (and caravan guards) take out the first group, but by the time they were finished, the second group had appeared next to my out-door farm (Strawberries.) Then they went into my base (near my well and to-be barracks), and slaughtered several dwarfs. Then they went downstairs, killing a dwarf on the stairs, and slaughtered more in my statue lounge and one in his own bedroom.

So, what the heck are you supposed to do? Draft everyone briefly so they pick up their weapons and armour, then just leave them as civvies until an attack, then just patrol/station them around where the enemy was/is?

Fortifications maybe? Also, do seige weapons work on different Z-levels (IE: Can a ballista/catapult shoot down a level if it's overlooking the air?)

BTW, for the details, I think I had 18 dwarf deaths, including a baby, and 5 recruits. I think 9, maybe more that fled, goblins.

I think this fort is going to survive, though. I lost a few carpenters and farmers, but that can be fixed. Plus I already have a ton of food (75+ barrels in food stockpiles) and several farms + hunters... One possibility is the father of the baby will go nuts. Which would be bad.

Basically, military suggestions. Help me NOT get slaughtered again.

This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
Re: Questions here (Military + Caveins)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 01:01:00 pm »

siege weapons don't work over Z levels. - Effective military - well since the system is fundamentally hardcoded broken with the overpowered marksmen, unless your facing non-bowmen and unless you have 5+ champion wrestlers with legendary shield/armor-use - your screwed in direct combat.

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 01:01:00 pm »

Traps.

If that isn't enough, add a trench.

But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 01:10:00 pm »

Oh and to cave in - there must be NO connection at all - say a diagonal land attachment around the sides
code:

---XXXXX----    ---- XXXXX ----
X          X    X             X
------------    ---------------
  No Cave in     Cave in!

You have to remove floor connections too!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 02:53:00 pm »

The following stone layers are flux, and all are visible from the embark screen:

-limestone
-calcite
-dolomite
-chalk
-marble

If none of these were in any of the biomes when you embarked, you're out of luck.

The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.