Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Best artifact you've gotten?  (Read 1933 times)

Arkansan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best artifact you've gotten?
« on: July 07, 2015, 11:59:54 pm »

For the most part I get crap like a Pine Scepter or some such other useless dreck. Today I got my first decent artifact. Treetops the Drinker of Despair, a silver warhammer!

What have you got so far that sticks out as being cool or practical?

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: Best artifact you've gotten?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 12:19:31 am »

In one of my more recent forts, I have a platinum warhammer, a gold warhammer, a bismuth warhammer, and a silver warhammer. My current fort just got a platinum warhammer yesterday.

The gold one has an epic name, though. I'll go find it and post the name in a minute.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Arkansan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 12:27:18 am »

In one of my more recent forts, I have a platinum warhammer, a gold warhammer, a bismuth warhammer, and a silver warhammer. My current fort just got a platinum warhammer yesterday.

The gold one has an epic name, though. I'll go find it and post the name in a minute.

Man, that is a good run of luck right there. I typically just get junk artifacts.

Babar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 01:01:53 am »

Adamantine spear

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 01:09:08 am »

Man, that is a good run of luck right there. I typically just get junk artifacts.

Yeah. The warhammer in the first fort had about seven or eight savescums go into its making, but the one in the recent fort did not. The dwarf just preferred warhammers and I forbade every metal but platinum.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 01:13:13 am »

In the midst of a goblin siege, blood on the streets, dwarves in the fortress, military at the gates; Tun works with madness in his eyes as the battle cries echo. 
A tea wood statue; on it, depictions of the fortress' creation, and images of a goblin striking down a dwarf. 
Silence descends over the workshop, over the room, over the battlefield. 
And the siege is won.

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 07:16:53 am »

Most of my weapon/armor artifacts turned out to be mostly useless, like a Forgotten Beast Bone spear (This one worked okay, actually.), Artifact pig iron boot (JUST ONE.) and a Silver Giant war axe head.

The one exception was a "Bulky Highwood Crossbow."  At the time I had no idea how to marksdwarf, so I just left it in the workshop.

Forever.
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 12:15:04 pm »

In my fort with a whole bunch of custom mods I've gotten a whole bunch of really cool Mithril artifacts. I believe the first was a spear, then a shield with the most amazing description ever (flash opals are amazing), then I think some greaves and maybe another thing I can't remember. I'm also bound to get more as I've gotten all of my dwarves without any moodable skills either weaponsmithing or armorsmithing to hopefully someday get a full set of artifact Mithril equipment covered with flash opals that I'll store in a high security vault and eventually retire the fort and have an adventurer equip all of it.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 01:59:14 pm »

I had a artifact adamantine pickaxe once, it was made with only top value items as decorations (platinum, aluminum, star ruby, clear diamond, etc). That single artifact trippled the value of my ~6 year old fort.

It was awsome :)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 02:40:43 pm »

I got two artifact adamantine armor pieces in one fort, once. I got a breastplate and a leggings. Put em' on the best military dwarf, he promptly had his feet chopped off.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 03:13:43 pm »

Steel armor.  In a different fort, it was a steel sword.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 04:08:11 pm »

For the most part I get crap like a Pine Scepter or some such other useless dreck.

Any dwarf without a "moodable skill" (and Craftdwarves and Engravers, etc.) will produce a random "craft" trinket (aka "dreck"). This is most common on farmers and such.

If you want to avoid that, take any and every migrant without a moodable skill, and have them produce 1 weapon, piece of armour or some such (depending on Preferences), and then don't let them do anything that would over-ride that with another moodable skill.

(Most easily done by manipulating labors via Dwarf Therapist and/or workshop Profiles.)

You can even over-ride undesirable existing skills (such as Engraver or a Craft, etc.) farily easily by simply letting them toil at some preferable profession, like Miner or Mason (making stone blocks).

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Strange_mood#Skills_and_workshops

As for my best? I rarely get drek, and often get obscure weapons - some less useful than others, but when a mood strikes a weaponsmith, I'll shut down the entire fortress if I have to*, [f]orbidding all metals except Steel, so they have no choice except to do it right, tyvm.

(* In a mature fortress, my goal would be to have all my forges lock-able, all ready and waiting with a small stockpile of desirable bars in them (steel, silver, etc.), ready for any moody dwarf. It's only the 1st bar that determines the metal, the rest are decoration.)

Beyond that, artifact mechanisms in weapon traps are nifty, as are furniture for noble rooms, but nothing jumps to mind atm.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 06:32:16 pm »

Bismuth breastplate, 100,000 dwarfbucks, is my most expensive. And blingy. Google bismuth, and emeralds. It also had an image of my awesomest artifact, a tertrahedrite coffin for a cool 75,000 dwarfbucks:

The Perfect Martyr: a tetrahedrite coffin encircled with bands of giant cave spider silk and menacing with spikes of yellow diamond. On the object in yellow diamond is an image of one of our first dwarven queens ascending to the throne, a hallowed 200 years back. Our civilisation has been wracked by terrible troubles since then.

Derpiest artifact: Stranglepunch the Polished Universes. A stone bracelet with an image of waves in dacite on it. Possession as well. Try harder, eldritch cthulcan thing, its not just about cool names.
One wheel short of a wagon

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 08:45:31 pm »

Derpiest artifact: Stranglepunch the Polished Universes. A stone bracelet with an image of waves in dacite on it. Possession as well. Try harder, eldritch cthulcan thing, its not just about cool names.

I had a pine scepter once with exactly 0 adornments. It was just a pine scepter of the highest quality. Made by a 12 year old. If there was a "put on fridge" option, I would have.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 09:13:20 pm »

The shiniest ones are, of course, the ones made of candy.

But the most useful? Definitely doors and hatch covers. They can't be destroyed because they're artifacts. And dwarves go through them constantly, admiring them. It's a great thing all round.
Pages: [1] 2