Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27

Author Topic: Towers of Ragona [Game Thread]  (Read 18328 times)

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Towers of Ragona [Game Thread]
« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2015, 08:25:32 am »

Avery (Windborn) turns to Harold  "Yes but I will have to tell you later, because one, I don't want politics at a party, and two, Goldbloom just walked through the door."

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2015, 08:54:47 am »

Elbegast adjusts his mask, which had become partially slipped. "Ah, Richards, I believe I mistook you for another tower. Damnable masks. Nothing ill meant. Enjoy the rest of your evening." And with that, he sets down his goblet and takes leaves of the party.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2015, 08:55:33 am »

Ah our esteemed host, it appears that the hour as grown quite late. I came to congratulate you on a wonderful evening before I retire to my home. Goodnight and my congratulations. Goldbloom bowed and disappeared. The hour must be really late if he, of all people, isn't staying around to chat.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2015, 09:22:39 am »

Avery waits for Goldbloom to leave before turning to Stonetree as he speaks his voice drops to a whispering tone "[Words will be given by PM, secrets must be secrets from the ones they endanger, after all.]"

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 14, 2015, 09:29:27 am »

Richards takes another sip of his wine, appreciating the host's fine taste, and walks over to the relic room, entering just after Avery and Stonetree finish whispering. "Great ball, Tower Windborn. I must compliment your taste in wine. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll be making my way back to my villa." Richards then turns on his heel before Avery can speak, heading outside and making his way home to his villa. He sits on his chair carefully, looking at the paperwork that's piled up while he was gone, and smiles.

"Much more fulfilling then dancing, I must say."
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2015, 01:39:20 pm »

Early Aprilis, 263R

Once again the Council have gathered in the spacious Hall of the Towers. The Senex Princeps, Chief of the Centuria, The Highest Judge and Master of the Coin are all here, along with 41 Towers.  The Senex Princeps begins to speak once everyone is seated on the low stone benches, which form a wide circle around the center of the hall.  The Senex and the three other Crowns, as they are called together, are seated at the northern side.

SENEX:  "Council members, welcome.  Today we have to discuss and decide on three topics. First of all: The state of Irlax has offered a white peace regarding the war with Lorenze, and as we are contributing more troops overall we have effectively taken leadership of the war - we must decide whether to accept it."

The Chief of the Centuria stands.

CHIEF:  "The war is going supremely well.  We have pushed back the Irlaxi to the Lorenzene border, only with minimal losses - and those mostly from the Lorenzene front lines.  Why accept a white peace now?  We stand at the precipice of greatness, we have casus belli enough to exact punishments upon the Irlaxi, why turn back?  Cowardice?  No, we must march on and seize victory!"

The Master of Coin stands.

MASTER:  "Let us take this peace and let this end!  We have intervened in a war not our own and achieved the 'goals' we set out for - the Irlaxi are held back, and our alliance with the Lorenzene will deter future attacks.  Further, we have lost plenty enough in sacrificed markets!  Advancing into Irlaxi land will cost us men, resources and time.  Not only that, their three cities are each either walled or possess a fort from which they may deploy their troops, making such an incursion even more difficult!  We cannot afford to waste any further time on this folly!"

Both men sit.

SENEX:  "Second: A northern barbarian by the name of, ah, "Zoglakh, son of Gorthlak" has approached us with an offer of service from his mercenary tribesmen.  The Chief has estimated their strength to be equivalent to some five maniples, and he asks a fee of 1500 denarii for the duration of the war, plus looting rights."

The Highest Judge stands.

JUDGE:  "Are we really stooping so low to hire barbarians?  They are pig-filth and scum, and we should send this hayseed halfwit back to the north where he belongs!"

The Chief stands.

CHIEF:  "It is expensive, yes, but five maniples could make all the difference in the fight.  If we wish to continue with this war, Zoglakh's army would be welcome."

Both men sit.

SENEX:  "Finally, I have been approached with two offers of marriage to my grand-daughter, Flavia.  The first is from Chief Carrix of the Helvici, a clan of northerners on the edge of civilised lands.  The Helvici are wealthy, and offer both a dowry of 2000 denarii's worth of gold to the city and an alliance - to which they would add 3 maniples of troops to our current war.  The second is from Prince Vitrius of Anterra, a fellow city state.  Anterra is poorer and would only offer a defensive alliance, but the Master informs me that they are offering us a generous trade treaty in its place."

SENEX:  "If any Towers wish to speak on these proposals, you may begin."

The Senex lifts the iron staff that is his symbol of office and strikes the marble floor thrice - Clang, Clang, Clang! - The time of discussion is now.

Morning Phase has begun.

Quote from: Mechanics Changes
For balance reasons, the following changes have been made:

Military Units now cost 1500d to hire, and 100d to support.  Powerful Towers may hire at a discounted rate of 1200d.

Covert Agents now cost 1000d to hire, and 100d to support.  Sneaky Towers may hire at a discounted rate of 800d.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2015, 01:46:54 pm »

Rava raises her pudgy hand.

"War is bad for business. We aren't even looting or taking resources of the Irlaxi. We have already provided help to our allies, why should we waste our coffers for them even more?" She says, taking a breath after such exhausting speech.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2015, 02:07:53 pm »

"I concur with my friend from Tower Rocco. We in Ravona always made our money from trade, not war. No matter how much reparations we extract from Irlax, they will pale in comparison to the cost of the war and the damage to our trade.

As such I recommend accepting the White Peace. This make a mercenary army irrelevant, so I urge my fellow tower to vote no to the second proposal as well.

Finally, I think the prospect of peace make the offer of the Helvici's barbarian hordes unecessary. As such, a coherent policy would be to seek an alliance with Vitrius of Anterra."

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2015, 02:21:10 pm »

Lewis Goldbloom stands to speak. He bows the the Senex and Crowns.

My esteemed colleagues, I disagree with you on this issue. War is not bad for business, war is business. Our mines and our iron works are seeing increased revenue from the generation of new weapons. Our shipping is also functioning at full capacity. This war is going well and our coffers are swelling. Our losses are minimal and our men are heros at home and abroad. Rioting has decreased and our people are beginning to flourish. With the construction of the new aqueduct our city and people are blossoming. I would say that this war is incredibly beneficial for our people, our international relations, excluding Iralax of course. And there is only more to be gained. Territory, funds, resources are all ours for the taking. We shall show that aggression will be met with aggression and make Iralax pay for it's bullying of it's neighbors. I am not saying we topple their government or take their lands, but at this point they have gotten off scott free! I propose that we demand payment to cease this war or we continue on and enjoy the money we receive from the war itself. We must take a strong stance on this issue, or else they will resume their activities in a few years and it would have been all for nought.

That being said, barbarians should not be part of our plan. They would help us win a war, but at what price? We pay them and they get all the "loot"? That is by no means a good plan. We have nothing to gain from these barbarians because they want what we want: spoils of war. We shan't pay them to take what we are after. It is simply counterintuitive.

However, the proposal from the northerners would be a welcome addition to the war effort. They pay us and contribute to our efforts? Now that is a good deal. However, Senex the marriage of your grand daughter may not be such an offer for us to decide. As many would adore the opportunity to marry such an esteemed lady, myself included, I wonder if it should be a course of action decided by your house or even by your daughter herself. I would not feel right forcing her to enter a relationship of which she has no love of. Even if said relationship would be immensely beneficial to our city. The same can be said for the other proposal, however, it is significantly less beneficial to us.

With the return of peace we may see the return of rioting and issues at home. I urge that we continue this war a little longer to show that no state may encroach upon another without repercussions and also because it will benefit several of our major industries. Trade with other nations has not decreased to my knowlege and in fact, we have gained the attention of several new potential markets. Let us show our neighbors that we are strong and prosperous. Then when peace arrives and coffers are full and our men are truly heros, then trade shall blossom and we will be all the better for it.

(Sorry for minor misspelling and such, I wrote all that on my phone).
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 02:31:16 pm by Spiderking50 »
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2015, 02:27:33 pm »

Tower Elbegast takes the floor, "Punishment, fellow Towers, is a necessary part of justice. The Irlaxi flouted the natural law when they invaded the Lorenze people. They must be shown, categorically, that privation will not be tolerated. For those concerned about the cost, as vulgar as it sounds, the city only stands to gain financially from this war if we press on and take some Irlaxi territory. The potential for seized holdings and a securer border more than justify taking up the Zoglakh and Helvici offers. With the additional aid, we will come out of this war a safer and richer country, our ties with Lorenze stronger, and a clear message shown to all those that threaten stability in the region."

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2015, 02:37:44 pm »

SENEX:  "I appreciate your candour, Tower Goldbloom, and normally I would arrange such marriages myself for my family.  However, as the political implications would indicate benefits and responsibilities for the city, I could not in good conscience arrange it without the Council's consideration."
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2015, 02:43:29 pm »

Goldbloom bows.

A true leader you are Master Senex! An issue as delicate as this and you consider your people all the while! It is under your watch that Ragona shall rise to the peaks of greatness. We towers, your esteemed grand daughter, and all of Ragona are blessed to have you.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2015, 02:52:25 pm »

Gentlemen, as tower goldbloom already said, War is good for business. We are thriving on it. Even now Lorenze is buying my weapons, which are produced with the iron from our mines and then shipped with the ships of Elbegast and you Tower Jayne. And finally the money all of us make lands in the banks of the Goldbloom banks. We are all profiting from it.

A continued war is in the interest of us private men, but what do you ask, about Ragona itself? Well if we stop now. Ragona has spent several thousand denarii and hundreds of Ragonan Lives for what exactly? The Continued Survival of Lorenze? Where is Ragonas share? Where is the share of our soldiers? I say we continue this war so Ragona and its people may profit too from it.

On the matter of the barbarians and the marriage i require some clarification: Would the Helvicians also be interested in Trade? And secondly in regards to the Mercenaries, looting rights mean they are allowed to loot but not that they get ALL the loot right?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2015, 02:57:12 pm »

SENEX:  Zoglakh has asked for looting rights in proportion with the size of his force - if they were to comprise 15% of the force, they would expect 15% of the loot.  They are not interested in taking land, only spoils, and would expect most of their share to be monetary in nature.  As the Helvici are already quite rich, they would provide only a small market for Ragonan goods as part of the treaty.  They are fairly self-sufficient as a clan.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 05:03:56 pm by Iituem »

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2015, 03:06:53 pm »

In that case i opt for hiring the Mercenaries...and for marrying the Anterran to offer a market for our Towers who are not trading in arms so that they may make some profits too. SImple thing, everybody profits...well except Irlax but who cares about them?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27