Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27

Author Topic: Towers of Ragona [Game Thread]  (Read 18346 times)

Illgeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Towers of Ragona [Game Thread]
« Reply #180 on: August 02, 2015, 02:32:15 pm »

Tower Evers speaks:
"But would it be right thing to do? By the Dark Lord, we already conquered them, killing many in the process! I propose that we choose one of citizens of Sarlax as the governor. He could do good for his people under our supervision. And of course we should build the aqueduct! They are now our subjects, and we must care for our subjects!
About Anterran matter, it's hard to say whose claim is more rightful. What about joint contol?"

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #181 on: August 02, 2015, 02:41:18 pm »

I support the idea of a tower becoming a governor for Saralax. I would offer to take up the position myself, but there is no finer candidate than tower Elbegast. My one concern is how the people may respond to the leading commander of their enemy becoming the permanent governor of their city. However, tower Elbegast's co-funding of the aqueduct should aid in quelling the citizens.

On the issue of the mine, we should support Anterra, our ally. First they are our ally and we should aid them when we can. Secondly, they have a blood connection to the original owners of the land. That is a clear and traceable claim of ownership. Fentius has no such claim.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 02, 2015, 04:58:17 pm »

"While tower Elbegast has committed itself to the success of our glorious city, I doubt that this position will do anything to appease the unrest, given that he was the one responsible for their present state. That is, establishing a conqueror as a governor over them will not quell the unrest at all. More to the point, I think its incredibly self-serving of Tower Elbegast to put themselves in this position."

"I believe that the position should go to someone who has humane touch, who can see the problems and resolve them just as well, without carrying the burden of their deeds done on the Irlaxi. I believe that tower Goldbloom is well suited to that position."

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 02, 2015, 08:37:39 pm »

Elbegast stands once again, saying, "Sarlax is Ragonan now and we must show our new people what it means to be Ragonan. That we are magnaminous in victory and that the common folk will be fed and watered under our watch, for they are the arms that row our great ship forward. I do not pretend to be the best among our number, merely I have the strongest ties to Sarlax and an earnest desire to see the youngest part of Ragona thrive and fully integrate itself with the rest of our great city."

"Regarding the suggestion of joint control in the Anterran matter: a settlement of profit-sharing between the two powers would be the most diplomatic option, and may be more palatable to both sides. However, the precepts of inheritance clearly show the ownership to be Anterran; more specifically, it should be Anterran land in the hands of the family with the closest relation to the original owners."

"Honoured Senex, while the land has been contested who has made use of it?"

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 03, 2015, 01:44:26 am »

"An earnest desire to protect your new holdings from potential troubles, in truth, Tower Elbegast. Indeed your ties are no stronger than my own, to our new lands.

However I do agree that Sarlax needs a Ragonan governor. There are many fine Towers who I am sure would be proud to step up and show their ability to guide these people into a peaceful integration, but it cannot be anyone who took such a prominent role in their conquest."

"As regards this territorial dispute, I feel it would be best to side with the Anterrans on this matter. As others have said, they possess the most legitimate claim."
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 03, 2015, 02:23:47 am »

"I'm not quite sure that I like your implications, Tower Carus," says Elbegast, pacing the floor. "My men are sufficient for merely protecting my holdings. My desire to see an integrated Sarlax is rooted in my love for our city. Regardless of what you think of my motivations, perhaps we can agree that the best governor is a free citizen with holdings in Sarlax, who is willing to reside in that town. To my knowledge, there are only seven such candidates including you and I, all of whom were involved in the capture of the town. And as for ties: while all of us have farms in the vicinity, I am also connected to the mills and steelworks of the town. This isn't self-aggrandisement, I merely have the closest connection to Sarlax and a desire to do a job well."

Here he pauses to reflect. "And I see no reason the governorship should go to someone not involved in the war effort. Why should a Tower who was unwilling to bleed for the streets get to preside over them?"

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 03, 2015, 02:38:52 am »

"Too much ties may not be a good thing Tower Elbegast. We have fought valiantly in the past to curb the power of the previous feodal nobles, I do not like the though of any one Tower making its own fief. Should we decide to appoint a Ragonan governor, I will only support this proposal is the governor is appointed for a short, non-renewable term."

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 03, 2015, 02:41:11 am »

"Because giving it to a conqueror implies that we are ruled by interests of militarists and career statesmen. The governor chosen should be someone who has shown earlier care for the people and is able to secure the interests of the city without self-aggrandisement.  Truly, if such concerns as those exist among Towers, I hardly think it viable to choose Tower Elgebast, especially when concerns of private interest already surfaced as prime motivation.

I say Tower Elbegast and any house for that matter which had a hand in military conquest should be barred from administration of conquered territory - last thing we need is fostering aristocracy."

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 03, 2015, 03:42:20 am »

SENEX:  "The land in question has de facto changed hands six times in the last twenty years.  There are local families on both sides who, in lieu of a clear legal decision, decide to enforce their own law and take the land by force in the name of their country.  Neither realm has stopped them thus far."
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 03, 2015, 04:15:23 am »

Oh look at that, who would have thought. Exactly what i said would happen if we didn't make a show of force DID happen...how suprising and completely unexpected. Tower Stonetrees voice was dripping with sarcasm.

Obviously putting one of our own in as a Governor is clear. The Question remains who. Goldbloom was the most vocal defender of going with the velvet glove approach and see where that got us. I say let him drag the cart out of the dirt! I also support that the Governor should be put in for only a certaina mount of time. But lets keep it renewable...we don't want to be forced to replace somebody competent with a fool after all.

In any case i vote that: Tower Goldbloom is declared Governor of Sarlax for the duration of the current crisis and afterwards replaced by Governors every three Senate Sessions.

That will allow Goldbloom to prove his dedication to Ragona, as Elbegast demands, without rewarding him too much. And the Irlaxians get a competent Governor to boot. And if he fails we simply replace him and hopefully finally go with the Iron Fist approach, which all of you seem far too reluctant to take.

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 03, 2015, 07:26:11 am »

Tower Windborn stands "Ahem, we should not send a Ragonian governor to govern Larlax, due to the fact that Larlax is already discontent with their vasalhood, if we send a Ragonian to govern them, we risk a full  scale revolt. Thus I recommend that we don't send a Ragonian to govern them, and if we do, it must be someone not involved in the war,  and if it must be one of us that sent troops, it cannot be the general of the enemy army."

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 03, 2015, 11:36:32 am »

"Tower Goldbloom? Tower Stonetree, I knew that you wanted the hardline approach, but even from you, this seems cruel to me. I am as wary as any of any Tower building an Empire for itself, but Tower Elbegast is at least known to be of upstanding character and has the forces to police the area. Tower Goldbloom is more likely to tax anything that is not nailed down into its own coffer and then hand over a rebellion to the Council.

Why dont we appoint not one, but two governors that can keep each other in check, as well as combine forces to police the area? After all, we wouldnt trust Ragona to any single Tower, but to a Council of several Towers. Would it not be natural to treat our new province in the same way?

I am willing to run the province together with my friend Tower Elbegast. Should any other pair of Tower be willing to cooperate to admionister Sarlax, I encourage them to present themselves in front of this assembly."

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #192 on: August 03, 2015, 01:07:30 pm »

I find your description of me as a taxing miser is in poor taste. I believe the power of taxation belongs to this council already and will not be in the hands of the governor. Or governors. I reaffirm my statement the Tower Elbegast is by far the best candidate as far as rightness of governing goes. He has already proven himself a wonderful leader. It is only the interpretation of the locals that may cause problems. My name has been thrown around a few times, I would be happy to take up such a position or share such a position with either Jayne or Elbegast. I gained no property from the taking of this town ((to my knowledge)), and I have no ties to this town except that it is now a Ragonian town. And as a Ragonian town, I will assist it in whatever way I can. As such, if I am appointed I too shall help co-pay the aqueduct, just as I did for our own aqueduct. I differ sharply from Elbegast in the ideas of war. Perhaps the two of us could balance each other for the benefit of the citizens.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 03, 2015, 01:38:54 pm »

An aide moves up to the Senex Princeps. He listens for a moment, then stands up and strikes the floor again, twice this time.

SENEX: "All that had to be said has been said. The sun is past its midpoint. The voting begins now.  I shall adjust the proposals accordingly - if you vote Nay to measure two, you must nominate your preferred candidate."

Young boys rush into the chamber, bringing quills and wax tablets for all Towers present.

The Afternoon Phase has begun.  You may vote on each of the topics, Aye or Nay.

1.  That Ragona shall sponsor the proposed aqueduct expansion.

2.  That Ragona shall install the Irlaxi, Umlak, as Baron of Sarlax.

- If you vote Nay, please add your proposed candidate: Judge's appointee, Elbegast, Goldbloom, Jayne.  If you wish for a co-governorship, state two names.  The new governor will be mandated for 3 months, with a renewal/re-election at the Judge's discretion.

3.  That the disputed land should go to Anterra.  [A Nay vote indicates that it should go to Fentius.]
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 03, 2015, 01:39:33 pm »

Aye, Nay (Elbegast), Aye.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27