Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Most apt artifact titles  (Read 2923 times)

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
Re: Most apt artifact titles
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2008, 02:10:00 am »

Falsefuture, a copper grate.  Engraved on it is a dwarf holding an iron grate.

EDIT: Well, not engraved.  Just on it.  You know what I mean.

[ May 02, 2008: Message edited by: Qmarx ]

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2008, 07:26:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Qmarx:
<STRONG>Falsefuture, a copper grate.  Engraved on it is a dwarf holding an iron grate.</STRONG>

That is some engraving. Reminds me of when I had an engraver who kept on carving images of glass windows. Or an image of an Ettins named "Buds of Steel".
By the by, does anyone know where that could of come from; they didn't show up on his personality screen, we hadn't been attacked and I'm not even sure there were any on the map. Yet I had dining-hall walls covered with dwarf-killing two-headed monsters.

Kyselina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2008, 07:52:00 am »

Maybe it is your fortress's symbol.
Tun Athelbuket, farmer cancels sleep: Caged.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2008, 09:58:00 am »

While I've got a few good ones like 'Tunnejail' the steel chain (for jail, of course) or Vesgorroth 'The Spry Disemboweler' Silver plate mail, in my opinion the best is the extremely anti-climactic 'Monkpit the Safe Intricate Dimensions', the... wooden toy boat. Menacing with spikes of pine and turtle shell, of course.

The poor dwarf was possessed by otherworldly forces to build a stinkin' toy boat. Ghosts these days...

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2008, 01:50:00 pm »

The musty desert, a flint amulet. On it is an image of a wave, of course.
The Strategic Strike; a millstone, for heaven's sake! I would have liked to see a dwarf fight with it though. Or rather bowl.
Watchgroove, an animal trap. Out of goblin bone. Heh.
Randomvoices the Frightful Murk, a green glass goblet. Woe to the dwarf who drinks out of that.
Stalkertear, a pig tail short skirt; midnight blue with images of suns and donkeys.
Notchforks the Cooperative Dreams, a bauxite mechanisms.
The Key of Enchantments, an aluminium table. Instant royal dining room! If only I got this after magic was properly implemented, it probably would have a badass effect.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2008, 01:56:00 pm »

In my first moderately successful fortress I ended up with (IIRC) Thocit Stokid "The Spike of Impaling" a turtle shell animal trap.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

xpCynic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2008, 03:46:00 pm »

Sorrowscarred the Alliance of Shoves, a kobold bone shield. Not the best ever, but still decent.
In engravings, I have just a few amusing, nonfitting ones, although "The Bunch of Coal" (image of mountains) sort of fits.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2009, 11:41:59 am »

I just had my first metalsmith have a secretive mood and create a bronze bracelet that he named...after himself.

I had just the same... I only noticed when I saw an engraving of Udil Speartrots holding Udil Speartrots.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2009, 12:06:43 pm »

Gravedug? Eh, sure, why not?

The dwarves of Tunnelwounds have worked their asses off to make 27 artifacts in 12 years, so I'm sure there's a few interesting ones. Lessee here...

Cleftowns the Doused Bandit, a perfect pink tourmaline. If I had a source of infinite water and a source of infinite kobolds, I'd use it to lure them into a drowning trap, but sadly, I have only murky pools and I've seen not a single kobold yet.

Leaderdoused, a donkey bone scepter. My dwarves seem to be obsessed with drowning things. I don't have a baron yet either, though.

The Outrageous Whiteness, a mica cabinet. Would have been better if it was alunite or something.

Hailnoiseless the Depressed Trumpet. An awesome name in itself, but sadly, it's only a granite bracelet and not a trumpet.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Teppik

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2009, 12:38:01 pm »

"Woodfat the Wane of Sport"

Mraedis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2009, 01:09:46 pm »

"Nerthrob Idromokil - Lakesgirder, the Short Test" - A maple Bracelet with an image of a moon on it in maple, nothing else.

Short test indeed.
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2009, 01:48:53 pm »

My dwarves seem to be pretty good at giving sensible names to artifacts
The Confining Saturnity - Shell  Opal Cage : A cage made out of 2 gems seems rather confining, yes. To make the stay for the prisoner even more horrible: It's engraved with three blazing suns.
Holegoaded the consturctive worshipper - Alunite Idol
Then something weird, an amulet of packing, maybe it gives your backpack TARDIS powers?
The Alleigiance of Language - Ashen Crossbow: Well, the language of sharp, hard, high velocity objects has always been fairly universal. It also menaces with spikes.
Then a non-special granite weapon rack, and then my favorite:
Idolclinch the Dull Partner, a gabbro weapon rack that isn't special in anything but the name and situation.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2009, 03:19:01 pm »

I just had my first metalsmith have a secretive mood and create a bronze bracelet that he named...after himself.

I had just the same... I only noticed when I saw an engraving of Udil Speartrots holding Udil Speartrots.

I was rather awed when I first saw it too.  I thought it was incredibly narcissistic of him to craft an idol of himself.  He intending to get the other dwarves to start a  cult? 

Or did he just want to intrude on little Urist's doll games?

Creepy old man.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2009, 09:08:35 pm »

Planestar the Reward of Beards the Ashen Bow.

Why, you ask, is this an apt title? Because it means absolutely nothing to me. Just like this item, which no dwarf can use and has no features of any interest and is valued at 4800 DB.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Nephelim

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2009, 02:50:23 am »

Thunderspasm the Suicidal Meeting, a Platinum Crossbow. (246,000 Dwarfbucks)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Clearly, I must train up a Marksdwarf of doom to do this thing justice.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4